As I noted earlier, and in support of a fellow poster who was also ignorant of what was going on in 'ye grate scheyme of thynges' that was generally hidden from the average poor Joe handing in his much-loved guns to a bunch of gloating policemen - I had deactivated an NRA 98% condition 1918 DWM P08 - all-matching with matchig magazine - my first Luger. And a similar condition byf42 Mauser-made P08 - all-matching except for magazine - both with their holsters. Also my dad's, later my 1939 Walther PP in 9mmK as issued to the Vienna police special branch in 1939, in its serial-numbered matching holster. Others, just waaay too valuable to even contemplate handing in, were disposed of in another safe country, where I shoot them whenever I feel like. There were a few others, seven in fact, that I just could not bear to see go, but they were not precious old historical artefacts, just guns I'd loved for many years and won literally hundreds of awards with.

At no time was there ANY mention whatsoever that some of these guns might have been saved by the use of a different form of licensing - it seems that if you were not in the know already [wink-wink] then you had dipped out forever, as we obviously did. As did many others of my acquaintance, too. Not until later on, around 2000, were many of us made aware of the facts of the matter, and the 'seems that you didn't do your homework, old boy' cuts no ice with me.

To tell the truth, I'm STILL confused as to how you acquire a collection without having a licence to do so beforehand, or having got the licence to acquire, you begin a collection based on your long-standing interest in historical firearms that you now wish to collect, starting with one gun. Surely a collection comprises a number, usually many, guns. What constitutes a collection anyhow? Seems very chicken and egg to me.

Please don't try and explain it again.

tac