Thread: Black powder shooting info please

Black powder shooting info please

thanks for looking;

I have just got back from Canada and was able to have a go with Sharps 450-70 rifle at siloutee targets.
    I loved it!
    Where can I get one and where could I shoot?

The range I shot on was 550-450-350-250 yards at metal siloutees sheep pigs and turkeys.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, try Henry Kranks at Pudsey, Leeds. They have quite a good web site where you can see pictures of what guns are available through them. The 45/70 is a smashing round to shoot and very versitile as you can use black powder or nitro in modern repro rifles. (Always ensure your rifle is proofed for whatever you are loading.) 45/70 has three loading bands depending on which gun you have. One for older designs such as rolling blocks, one for modern guns such as Marlin lever actions and one for such as the Ruger number1. I used 50grns of TS2 b/p with a postell 530grn head in my rolling block and it really was a smashing round to shoot. Let us know what you get. Tim

Sir - you shot 'metallic silhouettes', a game that began in Mexico with live targets [Silhouetttas Metallicas], but was toned-down for the squeamish in North America about 40 years ago. Sadly, this game is not permitted in UK, except if the targets are paper, but the fun is the same. That is the reason why the names of all the target is in Spanish, BTW - ie. borrego = ram.

Lots of luck!

tac

Dave,

Unfortunatly, as pointed out, not a sport that's shot here.

FYI the distances are in m being Mexican, 200, 300, 385 and 500m for chicken, pigs, turkeys and rams respectivly.

Brilliant competition, I shot with the Yaupon Creek club for a few years, extremly challenging. Not for evryone though as you don't get bonus points for missing as in target shooting, it's either a hit or a miss - which upsets some folks

There is a paper target version run by a UK club based at Bisley: http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/html/ who might be able help you out.

Warning - BPCR's are addictive, would not be without one now.

Brgds and good luck

Terry

Well, I have to say that shooting an older-style BP cartridge gun, standing, off-hand, out to 500m [NOW yards in the USA and Canada] will always be a challenge.

I used to do the handgun version with my .35 Remington Contender - open sights and all. Sometimes I even scored a hit.

There is very little to compare, though, in my tiny mind at least, with the KA-boom...... ..

KLAAAAANG.

of a long-range hit.

Only the military falling plate comp comes near.

tac

black powder rifle

pm sent

you are welcome to come and have a look

richard
    reloading is not cheaper You just shoot more

There is a guy selling a pedersoli Sharps at my club. I can find out the info if you want.