Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many here collect deacts or obsolete caliber pistols?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cartridge revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by beagle2 View Post
    I must agree with you I had a Walther PPK that had been deactivated when I got it but I found that it annoyed me to look at it as it was in perfect condition with no marks on the bluing but when I took off the slide and saw the mess that had made of the works I did not mind them pinning the barrel but why vandalise all of the works.

I also had a couple of .32 pocket revolvers they was in nice condition and I had them on display for some time but in the end much as I licked them to me guns are made to be used if you cannot use them even just now and then what is the point so I sold them.

I have been tempted to get in to BP pistols but I would have to go quite a way to the nearest club and then there is the bother of getting a permit if I could have a cartridge revolver that would be another thing.
    You can have a cartridge revolver !!

.22lr long barrel such as Taurus and Alpha

.38/357 & .44mag & .45LCOLT etc such as Taurus and Alpha etc

or if you don't want the coat hanger off the grip the UBERTI 1873 COLT BUNTLINE

I have a selection of the above and some say the Buntline is to long but I find the balance is great and accurate as hell out to 100yrds with my .45LC

To be honest the only ling barrel gun that I have seen that would appeal to me is the 1911 .22rf but then that is an semi auto pistol all of the revolvers just look clumsy and heavy for me a pistol/revolver should not have more than a 6.5 inch barrel I am not knocking people who have taken up the long barrel versions its just not for me.

i collect antique obsolete transitional revolvers, there are some true bits of history to be had, and the fact they dont have to be butchered by deactivating is a big attraction.
    my favorite so far which i may be selling
    is a very rare german made 7shot S&W model 2 .32 rimfire, cased and gold gilt, is there a market for it on here? as times are tight tbh. it wont be cheap though.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Sswhack View Post
    i collect antique obsolete transitional revolvers, there are some true bits of history to be had, and the fact they dont have to be butchered by deactivating is a big attraction.
    my favorite so far which i may be selling
    is a very rare german made 7shot S&W model 2 .32 rimfire, cased and gold gilt, is there a market for it on here? as times are tight tbh. it wont be cheap though.
    What year was it made? You could sell it to an American collector, with no legal hassle, if it was made in 1898 or earlier.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    What year was it made? You could sell it to an American collector, with no legal hassle, if it was made in 1898 or earlier.
    at a guess 1865-70, theres no markings apart from a 7, which is repeated in several places, which could be a serial number or model code. are there any experts in european proof markings on here that might tell me more on its origins? i'll start a thread on it later.
    i'd rather keep it in the UK Jim, these things are rare enough over here, i cant be a part of the lessening of gun numbers, i'd never sleep at night.

...are there any experts in european proof markings on here that might tell me more on its origins?
    Yes.

Post pics or email me if you are shy.

tac

at a guess 1865-70, theres no markings apart from a 7, which is repeated in several places, which could be a serial number or model code. are there any experts in european proof markings on here that might tell me more on its origins? i'll start a thread on it later.
    i'd rather keep it in the UK Jim, these things are rare enough over here, i cant be a part of the lessening of gun numbers, i'd never sleep at night.
    I can identify with that.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

.44 Russian !!!!!!!!!!

So Whats the recent trend with Obsolete Caliber and the Smith & Wesson .44 Russian Revolvers ???

6 months and before these could be picked up for reasonable money

A refurbished nickle for around the £1k mark
    A decent Blued for a lot less
    A nice original for £1.5K max

Looking at the web sites and dealers it seems these are now going for £3k / £4K and up !!!!!!

A nice what appeared to be original blued was on Gunstar a moth ago private sale at just over a grand
    I thought that was to much ??

it was sold almost immediately and re appeared for sale by a dealer at £2.2k !!!

AND SOLD AGAIN !!!!!!

Is there a massive serge in decent obsolete revolvers commanding ridiculous prices due to the economic climate being a better than money in the bank or what ??

Do you have any percussion revolvers that were converted to cartridge, Sswhack? I'm referring of course to a conversion done in the 1870's or thereabouts!

I lot of percussion revolvers were converted to the new-fangled cartridge ignition system. I always felt this would be an interesting collection specialty.

No Jim unfortunately, ive seen some nice Colt Navy conversions to .38 rimfire id be allowed to bring in though, but they command too high a price to think about at the moment.

I might look into these. They would be an interesting item to collect, and very eye-catching, I would think: but yes, I'd imagine that the prices are astronomical.
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 25-06-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Just about given up on deacts but just got two obsolete revolvers a Remington 1858 and a cooper 3rd model

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1439013...7630252305042/

David

No.

Couldn't afford them alongside live firearms. The nicer, pre-95 spec deacts are often very expensive, as are the more modern obsolete calibre revolvers.

Oddest obsolete calibre firearm I've seen was an early Spanish 1911 copy. It was a good few years ago and I wasn't sure of the legality of it. Never seen another obsolete calibre self-loading pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I realize that no one, even the collector, is permitted to shoot the 7.1 firearms. But are people other than the collector permitted to handle them?
    Doubt it.

I visit a few places that deal with S5 and S7 firearms, and they won't let people near the S7 eligible stuff without authority to purchase.

when I took off the slide and saw the mess that had made of the works I did not mind them pinning the barrel but why vandalise all of the works.
    They certainly do a real number on them these days. Some of the recent deacts I've seen didn't even have moving slides, or bolt carriers, etc.

To be honest the only ling barrel gun that I have seen that would appeal to me is the 1911 .22rf but then that is an semi auto pistol all of the revolvers just look clumsy and heavy for me a pistol/revolver should not have more than a 6.5 inch barrel I am not knocking people who have taken up the long barrel versions its just not for me.
    The revolvers are a bit of an acquired taste.

I don't really notice much difference between the feel of the LBRs and the feel of standard 6" inch revolvers. You have some extra weight and air resistance (if that makes sense) from the increased barrel length.

Most people particularly object to the brace that's fitted to Taurus revolvers, but grip and clothing can work around the brace and help offset some of the weight.

The .22LR pistols have better quality options that the typical revolver choices and you'll also save on the nuisances involved with centrefire ammunition.

Is that Corsham in Wiltshire you're living in? My club is very big on blackpowder pistols and revolvers, and a few people have LBRs. Unfortunately they shoot all this near Salisbury, although quite a few people travel there from Southampton, or northern Wiltshire.

Worth a visit if you're interested in either type of firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Korium View Post
    No.

Couldn't afford them alongside live firearms. The nicer, pre-95 spec deacts are often very expensive, as are the more modern obsolete calibre revolvers.

Oddest obsolete calibre firearm I've seen was an early Spanish 1911 copy. It was a good few years ago and I wasn't sure of the legality of it. Never seen another obsolete calibre self-loading pistol.

Doubt it.

I visit a few places that deal with S5 and S7 firearms, and they won't let people near the S7 eligible stuff without authority to purchase.

They certainly do a real number on them these days. Some of the recent deacts I've seen didn't even have moving slides, or bolt carriers, etc.

The revolvers are a bit of an acquired taste.

I don't really notice much difference between the feel of the LBRs and the feel of standard 6" inch revolvers. You have some extra weight and air resistance (if that makes sense) from the increased barrel length.

Most people particularly object to the brace that's fitted to Taurus revolvers, but grip and clothing can work around the brace and help offset some of the weight.

The .22LR pistols have better quality options that the typical revolver choices and you'll also save on the nuisances involved with centrefire ammunition.

Is that Corsham in Wiltshire you're living in? My club is very big on blackpowder pistols and revolvers, and a few people have LBRs. Unfortunately they shoot all this near Salisbury, although quite a few people travel there from Southampton, or northern Wiltshire.

Worth a visit if you're interested in either type of firearm.
    Thanks for the information I did not no about your club in Salisbury it looks to be a nice place it may be worth going to have a look one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Korium View Post

Even if you could forget the legal issues involved about overall length: wouldn't the 12 inch barrels make the LBR's too muzzle-heavy, without the counterweight and bracing ability of the brace?