Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
I don't actually collect de-acts, but I ended up with a selection of them after I decided that I could not part from some of my formerly large collection of handguns.

I'm not too sure what the aim of your question is with regard to the law. Here in UK deactivation is carried out by authorised gun-dealers of smiths, in accordance with a very clearly laid out set of descriptive rules and instructions. That having been done, then the deactivated fiream has to be inspected at either the London or Birmingham Proof house, and stamped as a de-act The deactivation certificate provided as part of this process must thereafter accompany it if you ever dispose of it, much like a vehicle registration document, I guess. You you can buy as many of them as you feel the need for. A noted collector chum of mine in the UK Customs and Excise has a HUGE collection of military de-acts - big enough for him to put on shows all by himself with hundreds of guns of all kinds on display. All totally legal.

A gun that is on the obsolete calibre list can be bought and sold as an object, not a live-firing firearm, in much the same way as you would buy or sell a typewriter or any other obsolete item of equipment. As with de-acts, the only limitation to the type and number of obsolete calibre firearms you may have is the depth of your pocket.

Does that answer your question?

If not, what actually IS your question?

tac, trying hard to be helpish.
That answers my question, Tac.

The aim of my question is to understand what the applicable law is.

Jim