Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many here collect deacts or obsolete caliber pistols?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    A guy in my club has a few sect 7 guns stored in Bisley, he gave a talk to the club about them. I asked him exactly that, how to get a licence and start a collection. You can start a collection with just 1 firearm IIRC.
    So the conversation could go. . .

. . . Would-be collector aka WBC): I'd like to start a collection of pistols used in WW1.

FEO: Do you have a FAC?

WBC: Yes, I do.

FEO: Well, you can buy one, to get your collection started. Then you can add additional ones.

Or, would you be required to start off your collection with WW1 rifles, uniforms, and other items not Section 7.1?

Collectors tend to specialize, anyway. If they don't start specialized, they quickly become so. The collector might be interested only in pistols of the era.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I realize that no one, even the collector, is permitted to shoot the 7.1 firearms. But are people other than the collector permitted to handle them?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

What is the difference between section 7(1), being a "not readily available caliber" which has to be on a part 1 certificate, and an obsolete caliber which requires no certificate?

Got it, I looked up the list of obsolete calibers and there are some older calibers that are specifically not included in the antique classification.
    Last edited by markH; 09-03-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post

FEO: Do you have a FAC?

WBC: Yes, I do.

FEO: Well, you can buy one, to get your collection started. Then you can add additional ones.

Or, would you be required to start off your collection with WW1 rifles, uniforms, and other items not Section 7.1?
    I'm afraid the first option is not on. It does look a chicken and egg or catch 22 situation but its not that hard. Section 7 exists for a reason, the reason being to make it possible to be a collector or to preserve special items. The firearms departments are in the position of "will issue" providing there is "good reason" they dont want to be taken to court and most shooters have been fairly treated by them. My FO visited last year for my renewal, I applied for an extra 3, his comment was I could have another 5 pistols and 2 rifles if I wanted, my reply was no thanks just the 3.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

i collect deacts,, first off i am involved with the CHESHIRE REG ASS and give children the chance to handle and see what that tools of there job where,, i have bren mk1 1941,, webley 38,, sten,, 303 ,, 1854 ,2 band enfield ,, 1857,,3 band enfield,, soon to own a brown bess ,,all have papers for deact,, and the rest are obbs.. i spoz they could be made to shoot but they cost far to much for me even to think about that,,

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    I'm afraid the first option is not on. It does look a chicken and egg or catch 22 situation but its not that hard. Section 7 exists for a reason, the reason being to make it possible to be a collector or to preserve special items. The firearms departments are in the position of "will issue" providing there is "good reason" they dont want to be taken to court and most shooters have been fairly treated by them. My FO visited last year for my renewal, I applied for an extra 3, his comment was I could have another 5 pistols and 2 rifles if I wanted, my reply was no thanks just the 3.

OK, then, Smokeless: let's assume that I'm a UK resident, and that I already have a FAC, because I shoot a .22 Henry rifle at the local club.

With the Centennial of the First World War just around the corner, I start reading about the conflict, and develop a strong desire to start collecting pistols from that conflict.

I don't plan to shoot the pistols, I just want them as collection pieces.

I don't already own anything WWI related, you see, because I've just developed this interest in the conflict.

And I'm not really interested in medals or rifles or uniforms or bayonets, etc. : just the pistols. And that's all my budget allows for, anyway.

So, how would I convince the FO that yes, I have a legitimate collector's interest in WWI pistols, and only pistols, and should be allowed to purchase them?

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 28-03-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tom simkins View Post
    i collect deacts,, first off i am involved with the CHESHIRE REG ASS and give children the chance to handle and see what that tools of there job where,, i have bren mk1 1941,, webley 38,, sten,, 303 ,, 1854 ,2 band enfield ,, 1857,,3 band enfield,, soon to own a brown bess ,,all have papers for deact,, and the rest are obbs.. i spoz they could be made to shoot but they cost far to much for me even to think about that,,
    I always enjoyed doing demos for the kids. My wife and I used to be 1815-era cannoneer reenactors, and in between firing the Park Service's 6-pounders, I had a scale model cannon that I used for demos.

Jim

will be holding two shows in the town this year,,, vets day and queens week,, starts june ands in july ..someone has given me a tripod for the bren,, i am after the drum mag if anyone has one,,

try again for the drum mag?

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    I only collect Obsolete calibre pieces (flintlock and early percussion mainly). The idea of owning a gun that has been butchered leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. But this is my personal opinion.
    I must agree with you I had a Walther PPK that had been deactivated when I got it but I found that it annoyed me to look at it as it was in perfect condition with no marks on the bluing but when I took off the slide and saw the mess that had made of the works I did not mind them pinning the barrel but why vandalise all of the works.

I also had a couple of .32 pocket revolvers they was in nice condition and I had them on display for some time but in the end much as I licked them to me guns are made to be used if you cannot use them even just now and then what is the point so I sold them.

I have been tempted to get in to BP pistols but I would have to go quite a way to the nearest club and then there is the bother of getting a permit if I could have a cartridge revolver that would be another thing.

Looks like ACPO may be heading towards trying to get .44 Russian off the obsolete calibre list - which would I guess make everyone with one suddenly need a section 7 or section 5 licence.

Don't believe this has ever been done before, so it may get dropped as not practical - but that didn't stop the same happening to Brococks and various starting pistols.

Are you an air pistol shooter? No license or club membership required. And our Umarex Boys Club runs multiple weekly internet competitions that you can shoot from your own back yard, basement, or (as I do) hallway.

I agree that I'd rather own obsolete caliber or obsolete ignition system pistols rather than deactivated ones: unless the particular pistol in question has sentimental value.

Jim

Cartridge revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by beagle2 View Post
    I must agree with you I had a Walther PPK that had been deactivated when I got it but I found that it annoyed me to look at it as it was in perfect condition with no marks on the bluing but when I took off the slide and saw the mess that had made of the works I did not mind them pinning the barrel but why vandalise all of the works.

I also had a couple of .32 pocket revolvers they was in nice condition and I had them on display for some time but in the end much as I licked them to me guns are made to be used if you cannot use them even just now and then what is the point so I sold them.

I have been tempted to get in to BP pistols but I would have to go quite a way to the nearest club and then there is the bother of getting a permit if I could have a cartridge revolver that would be another thing.
    You can have a cartridge revolver !!

.22lr long barrel such as Taurus and Alpha

.38/357 & .44mag & .45LCOLT etc such as Taurus and Alpha etc

or if you don't want the coat hanger off the grip the UBERTI 1873 COLT BUNTLINE

I have a selection of the above and some say the Buntline is to long but I find the balance is great and accurate as hell out to 100yrds with my .45LC

To be honest the only ling barrel gun that I have seen that would appeal to me is the 1911 .22rf but then that is an semi auto pistol all of the revolvers just look clumsy and heavy for me a pistol/revolver should not have more than a 6.5 inch barrel I am not knocking people who have taken up the long barrel versions its just not for me.

i collect antique obsolete transitional revolvers, there are some true bits of history to be had, and the fact they dont have to be butchered by deactivating is a big attraction.
    my favorite so far which i may be selling
    is a very rare german made 7shot S&W model 2 .32 rimfire, cased and gold gilt, is there a market for it on here? as times are tight tbh. it wont be cheap though.