Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many here collect deacts or obsolete caliber pistols?

No.

Couldn't afford them alongside live firearms. The nicer, pre-95 spec deacts are often very expensive, as are the more modern obsolete calibre revolvers.

Oddest obsolete calibre firearm I've seen was an early Spanish 1911 copy. It was a good few years ago and I wasn't sure of the legality of it. Never seen another obsolete calibre self-loading pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I realize that no one, even the collector, is permitted to shoot the 7.1 firearms. But are people other than the collector permitted to handle them?
    Doubt it.

I visit a few places that deal with S5 and S7 firearms, and they won't let people near the S7 eligible stuff without authority to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by beagle2 View Post
    when I took off the slide and saw the mess that had made of the works I did not mind them pinning the barrel but why vandalise all of the works.
    They certainly do a real number on them these days. Some of the recent deacts I've seen didn't even have moving slides, or bolt carriers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by beagle2 View Post
    To be honest the only ling barrel gun that I have seen that would appeal to me is the 1911 .22rf but then that is an semi auto pistol all of the revolvers just look clumsy and heavy for me a pistol/revolver should not have more than a 6.5 inch barrel I am not knocking people who have taken up the long barrel versions its just not for me.
    The revolvers are a bit of an acquired taste.

I don't really notice much difference between the feel of the LBRs and the feel of standard 6" inch revolvers. You have some extra weight and air resistance (if that makes sense) from the increased barrel length.

Most people particularly object to the brace that's fitted to Taurus revolvers, but grip and clothing can work around the brace and help offset some of the weight.

The .22LR pistols have better quality options that the typical revolver choices and you'll also save on the nuisances involved with centrefire ammunition.

Is that Corsham in Wiltshire you're living in? My club is very big on blackpowder pistols and revolvers, and a few people have LBRs. Unfortunately they shoot all this near Salisbury, although quite a few people travel there from Southampton, or northern Wiltshire.

Worth a visit if you're interested in either type of firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Korium View Post
    No.

Couldn't afford them alongside live firearms. The nicer, pre-95 spec deacts are often very expensive, as are the more modern obsolete calibre revolvers.

Oddest obsolete calibre firearm I've seen was an early Spanish 1911 copy. It was a good few years ago and I wasn't sure of the legality of it. Never seen another obsolete calibre self-loading pistol.

Doubt it.

I visit a few places that deal with S5 and S7 firearms, and they won't let people near the S7 eligible stuff without authority to purchase.

They certainly do a real number on them these days. Some of the recent deacts I've seen didn't even have moving slides, or bolt carriers, etc.

The revolvers are a bit of an acquired taste.

I don't really notice much difference between the feel of the LBRs and the feel of standard 6" inch revolvers. You have some extra weight and air resistance (if that makes sense) from the increased barrel length.

Most people particularly object to the brace that's fitted to Taurus revolvers, but grip and clothing can work around the brace and help offset some of the weight.

The .22LR pistols have better quality options that the typical revolver choices and you'll also save on the nuisances involved with centrefire ammunition.

Is that Corsham in Wiltshire you're living in? My club is very big on blackpowder pistols and revolvers, and a few people have LBRs. Unfortunately they shoot all this near Salisbury, although quite a few people travel there from Southampton, or northern Wiltshire.

Worth a visit if you're interested in either type of firearm.
    Thanks for the information I did not no about your club in Salisbury it looks to be a nice place it may be worth going to have a look one day.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Looks like ACPO may be heading towards trying to get .44 Russian off the obsolete calibre list - which would I guess make everyone with one suddenly need a section 7 or section 5 licence.

Don't believe this has ever been done before, so it may get dropped as not practical - but that didn't stop the same happening to Brococks and various starting pistols.
    UK gun owners should write their Parlaimentarians, pointing this out, and pointing out that (I assume) there have been no crimes committed using .44 Russian caliber ammunition since the caliber was placed on the obsolete list.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Sswhack View Post
    i collect antique obsolete transitional revolvers, there are some true bits of history to be had, and the fact they dont have to be butchered by deactivating is a big attraction.
    my favorite so far which i may be selling
    is a very rare german made 7shot S&W model 2 .32 rimfire, cased and gold gilt, is there a market for it on here? as times are tight tbh. it wont be cheap though.
    What year was it made? You could sell it to an American collector, with no legal hassle, if it was made in 1898 or earlier.
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Even if you could forget the legal issues involved about overall length: wouldn't the 12 inch barrels make the LBR's too muzzle-heavy, without the counterweight and bracing ability of the brace?

there are some turn of the 20th century auto pistol caliber pieces that should qualify: stuff like the 9mm Steyr, the .30 Mauser, the .35 Remington. . .

Even if you could forget the legal issues involved about overall length: wouldn't the 12 inch barrels make the LBR's too muzzle-heavy, without the counterweight and bracing ability of the brace?
    Quite a few people have the brace removed, replacing it with a straight metal rod and counterweight.

there are some turn of the 20th century auto pistol caliber pieces that should qualify: stuff like the 9mm Steyr, the .30 Mauser, the .35 Remington. . .
    .30 Mauser should still be factory produced.

Not sure any do. I saw an excellent C-93 for sale a while back, still S5, despite being chambered in 7.65x25mm Borchardt (bet that's an awkward proposition to source).

Something like the Mars might qualify, seeing as they were made in various weird, proprietary calibres.

What year was it made? You could sell it to an American collector, with no legal hassle, if it was made in 1898 or earlier.
    at a guess 1865-70, theres no markings apart from a 7, which is repeated in several places, which could be a serial number or model code. are there any experts in european proof markings on here that might tell me more on its origins? i'll start a thread on it later.
    i'd rather keep it in the UK Jim, these things are rare enough over here, i cant be a part of the lessening of gun numbers, i'd never sleep at night.

...are there any experts in european proof markings on here that might tell me more on its origins?
    Yes.

Post pics or email me if you are shy.

tac

at a guess 1865-70, theres no markings apart from a 7, which is repeated in several places, which could be a serial number or model code. are there any experts in european proof markings on here that might tell me more on its origins? i'll start a thread on it later.
    i'd rather keep it in the UK Jim, these things are rare enough over here, i cant be a part of the lessening of gun numbers, i'd never sleep at night.
    I can identify with that.

Jim

.44 Russian !!!!!!!!!!

So Whats the recent trend with Obsolete Caliber and the Smith & Wesson .44 Russian Revolvers ???

6 months and before these could be picked up for reasonable money

A refurbished nickle for around the £1k mark
    A decent Blued for a lot less
    A nice original for £1.5K max

Looking at the web sites and dealers it seems these are now going for £3k / £4K and up !!!!!!

A nice what appeared to be original blued was on Gunstar a moth ago private sale at just over a grand
    I thought that was to much ??

it was sold almost immediately and re appeared for sale by a dealer at £2.2k !!!

AND SOLD AGAIN !!!!!!

Is there a massive serge in decent obsolete revolvers commanding ridiculous prices due to the economic climate being a better than money in the bank or what ??

Hard to say why. I've noticed the same trend in pinfires in the US, though. Just a few years ago they were a dirt-cheap, unwanted-stepchild to collectors. Now, prices are heading upwards.

Absolutely Jim

I have also noticed the same with small rim fire pocket revolvers
    Still around the £250 mark private sale but £450 dealer
    A year ago these rim and pin fire pistols where around the £150 mark

On the S&W .44 Russian I have noticed that even in the US they are rocketing in price !!

Is it the big interest in Cowboy action and the easy adaption of .44 cases ?

Steve

Cowboy Action Shooting has probably played a part. But i think the main reason is that money is chasing a supply that will not increase (no one is likely to discover a hidden arsenal full of old Lugers or Navy Colts) and can only decrease over time.

The prices of good-condition percussion Colts, Single Action Army's, Lugers, "broomhandle" Mausers, etc. - the stuff that collectors want the most - has been pushed beyond the reach of all but the wealthiest collectors.

So, attention among collectors of average means has shufted to things like pinfires, Bulldog revolvers, less-known manufacturers, etc. This is pushing up the price of these once relatively cheap items.

.44 Russian !!!!!!!!!!

There was 2 Smith and Wesson .44 Russian's at the Phoenix show Saturday both re furbished No 3 's at £4K and £6k

They just seem to be going higher and higher !!!!!!!!!!!!