Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How many here collect deacts or obsolete caliber pistols?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Sswhack View Post
    i collect antique obsolete transitional revolvers, there are some true bits of history to be had, and the fact they dont have to be butchered by deactivating is a big attraction.
    Do you have any percussion revolvers that were converted to cartridge, Sswhack? I'm referring of course to a conversion done in the 1870's or thereabouts!

I lot of percussion revolvers were converted to the new-fangled cartridge ignition system. I always felt this would be an interesting collection specialty.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

No Jim unfortunately, ive seen some nice Colt Navy conversions to .38 rimfire id be allowed to bring in though, but they command too high a price to think about at the moment.

I might look into these. They would be an interesting item to collect, and very eye-catching, I would think: but yes, I'd imagine that the prices are astronomical.
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 25-06-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Just about given up on deacts but just got two obsolete revolvers a Remington 1858 and a cooper 3rd model

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1439013...7630252305042/

David

I haven't actually collected de-acts, I just happen to have seven here in yUK by default. Default was Thomas Hamilton's of course, may he fester in hell.

They are -

1. My very first P08, 1918 all-matching and 95% condition and matching magazine bought from Gordon Forrest in Shrewsbury in 1974.

2. My last P08, a 1942 byf42 all-matching except for magazine and 98% condition.

3. A .44 mag Ruger Redhawk that I won in the Christmas raffle at the Berlin R&G at Christmas 1981.

4. A .44 Mag Smith & Wesson Model 29 4" - mint.

5. A .44 Mag Smith & Wesson Model 29 6" nickel-plated - formerly owned by a relative in Israel - good condition and used.

6. A .357 Mag Smith & Wesson Model 686 Trophy with the four position quick-set foresight and Wilson work-over.

7. A 1939 civilian police contract 9mmK Walther PP and original holster, formerly the property of the Vienna special Branch - 95% condition.

Nothing special there then, by comparison with a Colt cartridge conversion, but I'm not going to part with any of them - they ALL have stories to tell to those who want to listen.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 23-06-2012 at 09:28 PM.

They do indeed, Tac. Some great pieces there!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by dahtunnel View Post
    Just about given up on deacts but just got two obsolete revolvers a Remington 1858 and a cooper 3rd model

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1439013...7630252305042/

David
    A couple of beauties there, David!

Jim

Thanks, i've tracked the serial number of the 1858 to November 1864 but dont know yet to whom it was issued
    David

With that date, David, it may well have seen service in the American Civil War.

Jim