Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Notification of Air Rifle Ban

Notification of Air Rifle Ban

I saw on Teletext this morning that a Scottish Minister has said that he expects Air rifles to be be banned after the tragic incident in Scotland with the young child. I am surprised that no one has seen this and mentioned same on this site.
    Lurchermiss

Tragic incident agreed, but the implications of banning airguns will be far to great,As the goverment would have to pay out to much money in compensation.
    Look back at the the last ban..
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

Dave. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by peter pounds

.... he expects Air rifles to be be banned after the tragic incident in Scotland ...
    What he expects and what actually happens will be two different things hopefully.

neill Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man
    Tragic incident agreed, but the implications of banning airguns will be far to great,As the goverment would have to pay out to much money in compensation.
    Look back at the the last ban..

What, all the money the Govt coughed up for all the TAC gun owners??

Dont be complacent. The Brocock Ban did not cost the Government anything - just people like me who have £2000 worth!!!
    Lurchermiss

He probably expects to get re-elected aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by neill
    What, all the money the Govt coughed up for all the TAC gun owners??
    TAC wasn't actually banned

Dazz

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man
    but the implications of banning airguns will be far to great,As the goverment would have to pay out to much money in compensation.
    An outright ban will cost the Government nothing

Restricting the use of airguns will cost the Government ££££££££'s

Can you guess which is the more attractive option for them ?

wurzel
    Logun Carbine 177 ~ Aetec 3.8~12 x 44

Hi there,
    which Minister was it who made the statement?

Has anyone emailed him/her, yet?

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Wurzel

wurzel
    I would suggest the opposite, if air guns were banned as with the full bore pistols, compensation would be an issue. If the government give you a choice of 'hand them in or licence' then they would have to give you anything. Having said that this government will do as it pleases.

Dazz

benjrichardson Guest
    there is an lot of airguns in the country, banning them would be a very hard thing to do
    even if you have to apply for a licence there are thousands of guns left in people's sheds/garages/lofts e.t.c that people wouldn't bother to licence

Quote Originally Posted by Wurzel

wurzel
    If the government banned the use of airguns, surely that would put hundreds of people who make / sell airguns out of work?

I doubt they would do this TBH

Quote Originally Posted by benjrichardson
    there is an lot of airguns in the country, banning them would be a very hard thing to do
    even if you have to apply for a licence there are thousands of guns left in people's sheds/garages/lofts e.t.c that people wouldn't bother to licence
    Banning would be a purely political smartie point decision.
    Government would scare the population into handing them over, not unlike the Brocock ban. There would initially be an amnesty followed by a mandatory sentence for being caught with one anywhere on your property.
    It wouldn't get them off the streets but would make life easier for the government who could then sit back and take credit for making the streets 'safe'.

Having been quoted as not wanting to make a knee-jerk decision, I can't see anything happening for a while, and certainly not without a lot of consultation with BASC.

corb.177 Guest
    They will not get my gun.EVER.

I saw the ad on this web site it was about the Scottish paper the Scotsman, their government is calling for a ban and is urging air rifle owners to hand their rifles in if they are not using them or feel they don't need them.

They did say there was no compensation but it could change. I think if people want to hand them in they should think about giving them to shooting clubs so they can be used for comps and to help teach the youngsters how to use them properly, and seeing as it was a 27yr old lad who was taking pot shots at the firemens helmets (teaching idiots too)
    I found the Scotsmans paper site and I let them know how I felt about the issue.
    I also saw a a little article on air rifles by Tony Blair saying he didn't want another knee jerk reaction and that rules had already been made saying the age had gone up for the youngsters to own one, also he said they were leagly owned and he didn't want to rush anything through at this time baring in mind there is an election coming up makes you think doesn't it.

Regards

Jo