Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air rifle benchrest shooting in the UK

Air rifle benchrest shooting in the UK

Can anybody tell me which organisations administer the above?
    Thanks
    Norm

We have guys that do this at our club. As far as I am aware, there is no body for this discipline. They just practice and compete internally.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Benchrest is one of the rifle disciplines supported by the NSRA. Air rifles may be used for benchrest competitions shot under NSRA Rules

8.16 BENCHREST RIFLE
    8.16.1 Rifle. Any rifle complying with Rules 8.3.2, 8.3.3 or 8.3.4 may be used.
    8.16.1.1 Rifles falling within Rule 8.3.3 do not need to comply with the requirements of 8.3.3.1 and 8.3.3.2.
    8.16.1.2 Rifles fitted with magazines may only be loaded with one cartridge or pellet.
    8.16.1.3 Rifles may be fitted with a fore-end raising block not exceeding 75 mm (3 in) in width as measured at 90 degrees to the line of the barrel.
    8.16.2 Ammunition. Any ammunition complying with Rules 8.2.1 and 8.2.3.
    and

8.3.2 Small-bore other than lightweight sport. All rifles chambered for rimfire 5.6 mm (.22 in) Long Rifle cartridges are permitted. Even if the rifle has a magazine, only one cartridge may be loaded.

8.3.3 Lightweight sport rifle. All rifles chambered for ammunition as in Rule 8.2.3.1 and air or CO2 rifles of calibre 5.6 mm (.22 in) or less are permitted

8.3.4 Air. Any type of compressed air or CO2 rifle of calibre 4.5 mm (.177 in).
    Rutty

Thanks for the replies
    I already shoot the NSRA comps and the Hendon & cambridgeshire leagues
    But didnt there used to be a UK Benchrest organisation? UKBR22 or such that ran postal comps
    What happened to that?
    By the way, has anyone had any results from the NSRA Winter Benchrest postal comp?

There's also the Midland Shooting League, you can contact pennineway.fswo on this board for details of that one. Yorkshire runs a league as does Debyshire.

Rgds
    Rutty

As usual, Google is your friend.

UKBR22 did have a page at "www.benchrest22.org" (top google result for "UKBR22"), but that's now a holding page. If you look down the list however, you'll find

http://ukbr22couk.ipage.com

My guess is they've used cheapo hosting and had a sub-domain on ipage and simply pointed their .org address at it, opening the site in a frame - until they forgot to renew the .org address and it lapsed...
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

UKBR22 did have a page at "www.benchrest22.org" (top google result for "UKBR22"), but that's now a holding page. If you look down the list however, you'll find
    I don't think that it was ever much more than one person running it in their spare time.

Rutty

The site or UKBR22? I've seen UKBR22 embroidered polo shirts before, so there was evidently some level of organisation and community there. More than just one person and a website I thought. There's a decent few names in their "Contacts" page (which rather curiously doesn't actually offer any contact details).

Maybe it's dropped off or folded as a result of the NSRA starting benchrest comps, especially now they allow air rifles in as well? That said, there's relatively recent posts on their .ipage.com site (September last year, which is more recent than our club's site *grumbles* and we're active!).

There's a ukbr22.co.uk domain as well which works, but then tries to point you to the .org, which fails.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

I've seen UKBR22 embroidered polo shirts before, so there was evidently some level of organisation and community there.
    It doesn't take much to get a few items embroidered and have a few mugs produced. The unglamourous slog of running a shooting organisation is something else. At the end of the day you have to be more than just a "name" you have to actually add value, that's the hard bit.

Oh, how many times have I heard or read:

Fastest growing shooting discipline in the UK!!

Which means: "Last week I was the only one doing it but my mate's coming along next week and he's bringing his cousin"

Cynical moi?

Rutty

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    The unglamourous slog of running a shooting organisation is something else. At the end of the day you have to be more than just a "name" you have to actually add value, that's the hard bit.
    I hope the NSRA read this one Rutty, after the debacle of the recent British Airgun Championships!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    It doesn't take much to get a few items embroidered and have a few mugs produced.
    Apparently, it does take a bit too much. The NSRA aren't getting any more of the 'bar' towels they used to sell due to cost. I would have thought if people still wanted to buy them they would sell them - they do seem to like taking money off people.

and to pinch your sign off

Cynical ... moi

Hi Mark,

Yes quite! I have heard some of the reasons behind Airgun Championships debacle although I believed that it had actually reached the level of a fiasco I have also heard that the BoM are acutely aware of the issue and that there are measures already in hand to rectify at least some of the problems. We shall see.

The NSRA aren't getting any more of the 'bar' towels they used to sell due to cost. I would have thought if people still wanted to buy them they would sell them - they do seem to like taking money off people.
    I have to stand up for the NSRA a bit over this one. One of the causes of their problems is that they do make very effort to keep cost to the shooter as low as possible. They are severely squeezed on the other side by staff costs and it's that sort of issue that leads to the Airgun Championships problems.

The bar towels are another issue altogether, that is a commercial decision by the NSRA trading arm and nothing to do with the NSRA as a shooting organisation (the charity). I would presume that the cost to buy in has risen so much that they don't believe that they will be able to sell sufficient items at a great enough rate to reach the targets set by the parent body.

There we go.

Rutty

Hi Rutty,

The second point I made was a bit tongue in cheek and the reason you have put forward is exactly what Terry in the shop said - which i can understand

What did make me wonder is when I asked if I could buy one of the ones they had in the bottom of a display cabinet I was told no

Here's to a better Championship's next year

ATB

Mark

Ukbr22

Quote Originally Posted by norm View Post
    Thanks
    Norm
    Hi Norman.
    Just punch UKBR22 into your computor and you will find what you are looking for.
    UKBR22 is a very strong Assoccation for air rifle and 22 rimfire Postal and shoulder to shoulder competition,and take part in competitions around the world.
    We have a new website and an assocciated forum,our latest competition was held down in Portishead ,Bristol, this last weekend with about 35 shooters .
    Postal comps are run on a season basis,IE a winter season and a summer season,each season is 5 months.

John F.

Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    Hi Norman.
    Just punch UKBR22 into your computor and you will find what you are looking for.
    UKBR22 is a very strong Assoccation for air rifle and 22 rimfire Postal and shoulder to shoulder competition,and take part in competitions around the world.
    We have a new website and an assocciated forum,our latest competition was held down in Portishead ,Bristol, this last weekend with about 35 shooters .
    Postal comps are run on a season basis,IE a winter season and a summer season,each season is 5 months.

John F.
    John - Is the association email still in use?? I followed a contact link on the website and requested a contact number as i had a few questions to ask etc.... never got a reply

Just punch UKBR22 into your computor and you will find what you are looking for
    If you do and follow the link http://ukbr22.co.uk/, and then enter the main site you will find yourself here which is not very helpful at all.

As Hemmers said at post #6

My guess is they've used cheapo hosting and had a sub-domain on ipage and simply pointed their .org address at it, opening the site in a frame - until they forgot to renew the .org address and it lapsed...
    Rutty