Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something I'm doing in Jan McArthur's Memory

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Something I'm doing in Jan McArthur's Memory

Those of you who knew Jan, and many who didn't, probably knew that when she wasn't shooting airguns , she was an English teacher, and chair of the English Department, at Delgado College here in New Orleans.

Jan's academic loves were Shakespeare, and Elizabethan history. Also, she passed away leaving many books, and I have many books, and there's no way I'm going to be able to read them all before I die, and since Delgado 's library suffered serious book losses during Hurrican Katrina...well, put it all together, and here's what I'm going to do!

I'm going to trade in every book I own that I'm not going to read, along with every book that I do read, but decide not to keep. I have struck up a deal with a second hand bookstore owner (picture a place on Charing Cross Road in London) who gives good store credit for trade-ins, and take his Elizabethan and Shakespearean books in trade.

If one store's stock of same isn't sufficient, I'll work with additional stores.

These books, in turn, I'll donate to Delgado.

It's a win-all-around situation. I'm forcing myself to confront my book possessions. I'll have the fun and education of reading some of them. I'll free up space in my house. The book dealer will get LOTS of trading stock. I'll take some of his stock off his hands. Delgado will get to build its collection, the students and faculty will get to use them, I'll get to take a tax deduction for my donation...

... and the most important reason to me, is that we will be creating a permanent and practical memorial to honor my beautiful Jan: the Janet McArthur Memorial Book Trust

Since my personal stock of books won't last forever - neither will I, for that matter - I'm also going to look into getting this project incorporated as a non-profit, tax-deductible venture, with directors, and a permanent life of its own.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 04-09-2010 at 07:21 PM.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

BeerJam is offline Loser of the 2011 'Barn Door Trophy'.
    Headley, Hampshire (behind the graveyard!)
    Jim, I would just like to wish you every success with this wonderful project

Cheers and best wishes, Mark
    Proud to be a member of; MVAC and Countryside Alliance
    "...... I'm good with the science, but rubbish with the gun "

Quote Originally Posted by BeerJam View Post
    Jim, I would just like to wish you every success with this wonderful project

Cheers and best wishes, Mark
    Thank you, Mark!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

You are a kind and thoughtful man Jim. Wishing you every success.

Good luck, Phil

Thank you, Phil!

Jim

I got the first two books over to Jan's college library today. The Janet McArthur Memorial Book Trust has officially been born!

Jim

Renegade Master is offline They mostly come at night, mostly
    Well done Jim, that's a very kind and generous thing you are doing. I'm sure Jan would be proud of you mate.

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    I'd just like to echo the sentiments of Mark and Phil, and wish you all the best in this new venture.
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

Thank you, everyone.

Eight books in the collection so far: three (and maybe more) more will be added by week's end.

Jim

Thank you, Sol.

Eight books on their shelves so far: five more that I hope to get there on Friday or Monday.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 25-09-2010 at 04:21 AM.

Did not know Jan...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I got the first two books over to Jan's college library today. The Janet McArthur Memorial Book Trust has officially been born!

Jim
    ... but I'm guessing she adores this creation.

Wishing you every success in this memorial project good luck jim

great idea m8,

all the best mark
    all i ask is the chance to prove that money dosn't bring you happiness.......

SAVE A TREE......kill a beever.......

I believe she does, Clee. Her picture is going inside every donated book, and the library has a display case exhibit with her photo.

By the way, we're up to 32 books: not too shoddy for just a few weeks.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by r_haines666 View Post
    Wishing you every success in this memorial project good luck jim
    Thank you.

Jim