Thread: case Foam can damage metal on guns?

case Foam can damage metal on guns?

Manual for HW40 states that guns should be put in plastic sleeve when stored in a gun case, because the foam lining can damage metal parts!!! Anyone now about this. First Ive heard. Anybody doing this, or is it bull.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Have heard talk of it before.

If that's what the manufacturer recommends....

I use neoprene laptop / netbook sleeves for mine, saves worry and I get more in the ammo locker of my safe.
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

HW say that about all their guns and I dont think they do it for fun.

I dont put any gun in direct contact with foam.
    Thats what old T shirts are for!

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    What's the consensus on those little sachets of silica gel, are they worth keeping in the gun bag/box?

Yes, but they will not address the foam / finish problem.
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    HW say that about all their guns and I dont think they do it for fun.

I dont put any gun in direct contact with foam.
    Thats what old T shirts are for!
    Good thinkin.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by delta1 View Post
    Yes, but they will not address the foam / finish problem.
    I think plastic sleeves might cause condensation problems. Cant win!!!

i think its if you plan to keep then in storage for any length of time. i had a rifle slip that had a foam lining. i kept my gun in there with no problems. i always wiped the gun down with an oily wrag first and the gun was fine. it was bieng taken out of the slip a few times a week when i was shooting. if i were to put it away in storage i wouldnt have left it in there as i have also read that there could be problems. does it eat into the blueing?

that slip is long since dead and now i use a fur lined bag instead. the gun still looks like new.

I used to worry far too much about this and wrap my pistols in all sorts before storing them in foam lined cases. I concluded a while ago that it wasnt that much of a problem. These days I custom fit my cases so that the pistol is held securely but there is some free movement of air inside, I ensure that the metal parts always have a very light coating of Napier oil before putting it away and I keep a sacket of VP90 vapour release in there too. The parts that come into contact with foam will over a period of time transfer small amounts of oil to the foam which cant be a bad thing (it doesnt seem to react with it). I buy the foam from a supplier on *bay - its intended for delicate camera equipement.

Example
    http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...n/DSC06955.jpg

Will put up photo of old T shirt wrapped around pistol later
    I admit Ians looks a bit more professional.

I kept a Rohm pistol in a DIY foam lined gun case, (just a foam block with cut outs covered in velvet for the gun and accessories)
    Within 6 months the Black action started to look very grey and powdery. I binned the foam and velvet and replaced it with Dark Grey Egg box foam
    I then treated the action to regular rubdowns with gun oil which thankfully resurrected the finish without further problems.

The warning from the gun manufacturer just may be a precautionary one, as many moons ago when I used to work for a living both foam and polythene bags were a problem in the clothing industry, due to what was then referred to as Gas Fume Fading caused by a chemical used in their manufacture called Butyl Hydroxy Tolluene (probably wrongly spelt)

The remedy was to use only BHT free bags and shoulder pads which resolved the problem, but there may still be dodgy foam products out there.

I am not a chemist and the above is the limit of my dwindling knowledge, hope it helps.
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction!