Thread: 1000 Yard Shooting.

1000 Yard Shooting.

Hi All, I will be shooting out to 1000 yards in a few weeks and I would like to know if you think my rifle and scope are up to it, I have got a CZ 750 S1M1 in .308 with a IOR 6x24x50 scope I will be using 155.5 grn Berger bullets with 43.3 grn (Max load) of Vit N140 which give me a muzzle velocity of about 2780 Now my problem is that I have shot this out to 600 yards with no problems at all but to go from 600 to 1000 yards I need to adjust the scope by 96 clicks which the scope will do but it only leaves me 20 clicks or 5 mins adjustment left to play with do you think that this will be enough?.

Thank You.

Steve.
    .308 CZ 750 S1M1, .223 Speedmaster.SSR15, .303 No4 Mk1Enfield, .357 Marlin 1894CS, 10/22 Ruger,.22 Anshcutz Model 64, .44 Taurus LBR.
    NRA RCO.

Should be fine - worst case scenario you may have to aim off a bit, it's more challenging with .223 when you are 40 clicks short

johnny k is offline Models mankinis for Ann Summers.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post
    Should be fine - worst case scenario you may have to aim off a bit, it's more challenging with .223 when you are 40 clicks short

I agree, my .223 and scope combo really did not do the job

.308 will be fine.
    Chinese springer 0.22, HW100 .177. Selection of powder burners
    When there were extra pies to eat, I avoided them.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    You may need to be nearer to 2900 as the bullet may well be going transonic at 1000 and .308 does some wierd shit at that range when it is transitional or subsonic.

My F/TR rifle is pushing 2915 (30" Palma barrel) and is marginal, although the bergers are the same ones I am going to use to develop my long range load, that or the Hybrids (depends how they go in a 13" twist, but the BC looks phenominal on paper).

I am currently shooting SMK 1256cs over 46gr N140 and it is a bit slow, particularly if the air is cold.

But if you are just shooting for fun, enjoy and have a good one. Its a hell of a buzz getting Vs at that range, and equally annoying when a gust drops your well aimed shot in the 2 ring.

1000yds as a hell of a leveller though.

Whatever you do, keep an eye on other shooters if you are waiting about for your detail, and if you can use a scope to spot their swirl/splash. It is a real eye opener how the different bullets disturb the air en route, and you can tell a lot about the effects the topography is having on the wind.

I was watching a chap shooting some sort of maggie a few weeks back (.30 cal heavies with 88gr of porder behind them). At 800 and 900 they shimmied down the range, but at 1000 you could see the flight was visibly more stable by the swirl an dthe accuracy improved.

They just were not stabilising quickly enough.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know