Thread: Any woodworkers / chippies?

Acenorth. is offline Extreme Ironing World Record Holder.

Any woodworkers / chippies?

Fenman and co..... I don't confess to know anything other than structural properties of Plywood, SC3 & SC4 timbers when it comes to wood. So I'll explain what I'm after and if anybody can help I'll be grateful...

I have sanded down a beech Super10 stock and I'm after staining it various shades of Brown, Green and Black (typical British forces type DPM). Dont worry, I have a spare stock if I cock this up.. I have cut a thumbs up position and it feels quite good.

I want to stain the wood but keep the "feel" of wood. (If you know what I mean) The stains will have to be sealed so as not to come out when wet? Any ideas?

Also I don't want to have to go out and but 5 litres of 3 types/colours of stain, I just wont need it? Anywhere I can get just a 300ml tub of black, woodland green and medium/dark brown?

Many thanks in advance..

Ian
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    Don't assume anything.... It makes an ASS out of U and ME

Kev. (Cambs.) Guest
    Microporous stain, such as Sadalin 'Classic' or 'Extra', depending upon your choice of finish, i.e. glossy or Matt.

Comes in a range of colours, not sure about DPM though...

Failing that get some wood dye in differing colours, and then seal over the lot with your choice of sealer, i.e. clear polyurethane or one of the proprietary products designed to seal stripwood flooring.

Hello,

Rustins do a series of woodstains in a rainbow of colours. This is a high quality stain, and is waterproof. It costs about £4 for a 250ml tin, and once it's dry, you could just coat it with oil as normal.

You can get Rustins products from most of the big DIY stores.

Doug
    Last edited by savantuk; 08-03-2005 at 06:25 PM.
    Regards,

Doug

Talking

I'd go with the Sadolin suggestion too. Lovely stuff. Won't wash out but will gradually fade in sunlight over several years. Outdoor timber treated with this stuff remains water-repellent but amazingly the surface doesn't actually seem to be sealed, as the original wood structure is there to see and touch.

Just make sure it's really dry before you shoulder the gun though

Rich

Stainning

Try a search for french polishing stockists/suppliers.you need to degrease the woodwork before staining.then when its done use boiled linseed oil to coat and protect it rub that in by hand getting some heat into it with the frfiction of your hand then apply some every so often.forget sadolein as it bleeds and will taint your hands all the time.Rustin do alsorts of gear they are good.axminstertools.com or search for them.is one place i use for tools.put it on with either a smallbrush ie1/4ish go only oneway with brush try not to overlapp or you get build ups with different hues.ok

You should be able to find what you want here,

http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/

I have used dyes from here in the past and I have found them to be of a very high quality.

Alan.

Cheers for all the info so far...

I'm only after a rugged finish so paying £30 for a 0.5l tin of Green, black and brown then £15 on a sealer is not what I plan on doing (incase I cock it up)

Is there anything else out there that will give a rugged finish in the colours I require? And what could i use to seal it?

Again I know nothing about timber apart from how to design it...

Cheers

Ian
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Hi,

Think you have your maths wrong:

Green, black and brown Rustins stain at £4 tin, plus Rustins danish oil, also at £4, is, in total £16.00. Rustins stains and oils are about the best you can get!!

I don't think you'll find anything better, or cheaper, and if you do?? The finish will probably look as cheap and nasty as the product.

Regards,

Doug
    Regards,

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by savantuk
    Hi,

Think you have your maths wrong:

Green, black and brown Rustins stain at £4 tin, plus Rustins danish oil, also at £4, is, in total £16.00. Rustins stains and oils are about the best you can get!!

I don't think you'll find anything better, or cheaper, and if you do?? The finish will probably look as cheap and nasty as the product.

Regards,

Doug
    Been to both B&Q and Wickes and I aint seen Rustins about? Any ideas where I can obtain it?

Cheers for the reply...
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Quote Originally Posted by Acenorth.
    Been to both B&Q and Wickes and I aint seen Rustins about? Any ideas where I can obtain it?

Cheers for the reply...
    yeah go to a good decorators merchant they should be able to help.no expert but not sure about danish oil on top of stain ask instore hope thats somne help

i use rustins stain on my arrows, i find it great. yaught varnish over the top, jobsagoodun
    WWW.NEATHMOTORCLUB.COM

YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club member

Quote Originally Posted by stevie-g
    yeah go to a good decorators merchant they should be able to help.no expert but not sure about danish oil on top of stain ask instore hope thats somne help
    There is no problem with applying danish/tung or any other oil over Rustins stain, they are completely compatible, as long as the stain is allowed to dry first.

Doug
    Regards,

Doug

snipperuk Guest
    i've just stripped and stained a couple of stocks and forends and used rustins wood stain,the first one i sealed with danish oil and the second with teak oil which i must say i preffer the teak oil as it gives a slieght satin finish were the danish seams to evaporate.hope this helps you a little......
    p.s has any one used linseed oil for sealing wood ? what finish does it give ?

cheers snip

Quote Originally Posted by snipperuk
    i've just stripped and stained a couple of stocks and forends and used rustins wood stain,the first one i sealed with danish oil and the second with teak oil which i must say i preffer the teak oil as it gives a slieght satin finish were the danish seams to evaporate.hope this helps you a little......
    p.s has any one used linseed oil for sealing wood ? what finish does it give ?

cheers snip
    Well I have got my stock to the required pattern and just need to add a green tint. I want to then seal it...

Will boiled linseed oil seal the wood dye? The wood is beech BTW...

I am looking at highlighting some of the bold "dark areas" will a permanent marker do the job?

Ian

Again many thanks to all replies so far
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ian, I wouldn't be to concerned about cocking it up.......you could always rub it down and start again.....it doesn't take long......I did it with a s310 and took all the original stain off in no time.
    I then just applied boiled linseed and then coated it with beeswax. Which gives it a much lighter appearance than the original stain that all the beech stocks are coated in.

Regards
    jim
    ex blue job