Thread: s400 barrel and cylinder change?

maty j is offline Nothing ventured, Nothing gained

s400 barrel and cylinder change?

there was a thread on here a a day or so ago that amoungst other things said how to take the barrel off. i was wondering if you could take the air cylinder out as well as the barrel and fit new ones? i was also thinking of trying a .177 barrel in a .22 gun. would this be a straight swap or would other things need to be done? i would ony be trying the .177 to see how it perfoms against the .22 plus im no poof.
    tia
    maty.

Northernspark Guest
    You need to change the pellet probe as well as the hammer spring ( don't quote me on that! ) other wise the power will be all to c*ck

Steve

would it not be easier to find a gun clab and ask a user if you could try their .177?

so the calibre change isnt just a straight swap, thanks steve. gaz i did used to go to a club but havnt botherd for a while, so may pop in and see. is the air cylinder easy to change, if so how?

Not sure why you want to change the cylinder. AirArms don't like supplying bits to people they don't know. If you are contemplating a major change like this, it would probably be easier to buy a new .177.
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

gwylan ive found a spare cylinder on chambers site. the cylinder is a bit rusy so i was thinking of buying a new one and having it sent to isp or somewere else for a reblue as ive found the bluing on them at the mo to be not verry good at all, and they could send it to me to me fit it. saving posting the whole gun off and paying more postage costs. the calibre change was just a thort as i seen a .177 barrel for sale on here so i thort i could try but if its not a straight swap i wouldnt bother. could i change the air cylinder myself or is there more too it?

RochdaleLad Guest
    Pretty easy to remove the cylinder, although if you're not confident or unsure about it, get a gunsmith to do it for you.

It all unscrews (spanner at the filler valve end) and then you can unscrew the action from the cylinder at the breech end. Obviously, commons sense applies here You're working with parts of a compressed air system no oil, no dust/grit/dirt anywhere near the ****ing thing while its in bits.,

I converted my S400K to a S400 Classic - and recently had the barrel and tube reblued - the quality of the original blueing was frankly terrible. You pay extra for a British made gun and you get screwed by crappy blueing

Hi Maty, if the rust is surface rust only, no problem, but if it's pitted, don't touch it! Also check the inside thoroughly. I don't think Chambers would supply you with anything dodgy, but as Rochdale says, you're dealing with high-pressure air, and you could do yourself, (or some-one else,) some serious damage. I think it's the kind of job where you need to know exactly what you are doing before you attempt it. Do you belong to a club where anyone could give you some "on the job" advice? (Oh!...Err!... Missus!)
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

if i press the ball at the filling end will that ditch all the air and make it safer to work with? i have tried everything to get the rust off gwylan and it turns white so i guess its nackered. will the new cylinder come fitted with the chargeing bit on the end or will i have to take my chargeing bit off the old cylinder and fit it to the new one? rd lad what have you done to customise your rifle out of interest? i dont belong to a club gwlyan im lucky enough to have a garden big enough to shhot in and didnt find some of the members particualy welcomeing i may pop in andseewhat i can find out though.

RochdaleLad Guest
    Ok, firstly. I just shot my rifle until all the air dumped out at 50BAR or so - dumping the air is ESSENTIAL. You can't remove the cylinder without doing so in any case.

Secondly, yes you need to take off all the gubbins at the front - charging adaptor etc. The cylinder is just that. A long tube threaded at both ends

Thirdly:
    clicky
    Mmm, onions

Muzzle break, bolt, muzzle end, scope mounts all stripped and polished. Cylinder and barrel re-blued in a matte finish (going for the tactical look).

thanks for the info rochdalelad. sweet looking gun btw.