Thread: Advice on 10m air rifle choice sought

creed Guest

Advice on 10m air rifle choice sought

Hello.
    I am thinking of trying 10m air rifle shooting (I shoot air pistol at present) and will probably buy direct from Germany unless I can find any second hand buys locally which seems unlikely.
    What I would appreciate is advice on what to buy: at the moment the choice appears to be between Anshutz 8001,FWB 500 or 700 Basic/Evo.
    Any thoughts?
    Thank you in advance of replies.

I mainly shoot pistol, but have a FWB P70 that I find very good as it enables you to make adjustments to suit individuals. However it's only downfall is that you have to unscrew the cylinder to dry fire. Secondhand price I guess they would be £700 - £1,000
    Regards, Phil

They've all got advantages and disadvantages. Have you not got anyone in the club with one or some of those air rifles you could beg a go with? Even with the Euro crashing as it just has, you're going to be spending north of a grand new, or potentially similar used in the UK. Kind of a lot of money to spend if you've never so much as held them before...
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

creed Guest

10m air rifle

Thanks for the response but,unfortunately, there is no one I know with this type of rifle.
    Most people in my club seem to shoot sporter or benchrest air rifle.
    The euro is another factor to be considered - but probably by wiser heads than mine!
    Still,it's early days and I'm willing to wait a while yet.

Fwb300s

If you are wanting to test the waters at 10M, you could try a FWB300S? They come up fairly regularly on the forum at around 200-250 pounds and will still shoot more accurately than most people. And they're a bit of airgun history.

ATB

Jon

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Creed
    The problem as a beginner with asking on a website is you don't know the experience or skill level of the person offering the advice, also you may get biased opinions based on personal preferences, ie I prefer Walthers!
    Shooting and coaching in a 10 mt club with a good selection of rifle shooters and some at reasonably high level I can say there is very little between the top makes, Walther, Anschutz, FWB and Steyr, we have all of them including some as club rifles, it is mainly down to personal preferences and slight variences in ballance and fit, and what comes up at the right price! If you wish to shoot at any level do not buy the classic guns such as the FWB 300, a great piece of history and I love them but they are 40 year old technology, a modern PCP is truly decades in advance.
    I suggest you don't buy initialy, find a 10 mt club, get coaching, try everything you can, and then buy the best you can afford.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Creed,

Robin is correct in what he say's, but unlike him I'm a Feinwerkbau man, having owned or used every target air rifle produced by every major player over the last 35 years except for the Hammerli AR50 & Walther cabontech!

I have currently added the new FWB800 to my cv.

If you can't find a club near to you then my advice for what it's worth is either try to find a club with an open day or a 10mtr open shoot & attend, you will find a wealth of information from shooters at these events only too eager to offer advice to someone willing to listen. It is surprising how many people are willing to let you handle & shoot some truley expensive equipment.

I realise you are a long way off but just at this point in time a shop in Olton Solihull Nr Birmingham does have an array of match air rifles on the shelf from Walther LGR's to new FWB 700's. It's probably the largest choice of match rifles off the shelf available in the uk........you could always ring them & explain your situation, I'm sure you could go down & try what they have.

I know this is not ideal, & I would never recommend usually buying a rifle like this but MUSTS NEEDS eh?
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Alegazmoz is offline Southern Hunter Burger Tester
    An Air Arms 10m MPR, is a reasonable entry level product at a fraction of the cost of a high end item new and even less 2nd hand.
    Usable accuracy straight from the box.
    If the game's not for you, they're fairly easy to move on as lots of kids cut their teeth on them initially.

creed Guest
    Many thanks to all who have responded to my request.
    I'll bear in mind the Birmingham shop in case I'm ever down that way e.g. holidays.
    Not too sure about the AA MPR:there seems to have been some criticism of the target sights but if its a possible starter's rifle then worth a look since I suspect that will be more common (including with dealers) than FWB etc.
    Food for thought!
    Once again,thank you all.

If cost is a consideration, consider getting a single stroke pneumatic (SSP) rifle. These revolutionized the sport in the 1970s, setting all new world records when the Walther LGR came out. In order to keep the sport current, the UIT had to reduce the size of the target 35% and increase the length of the match from 40 to 60 shots, where it remains today. So, these rifles were a huge leap forward over the recoilless springers that came before them, and, based on scores, can keep up with the current PCP rifles of today.

So, I don't think you're really giving up much by going for an older SSP rifle. The main differences are the incredible array of ergonomic features that new rifle stocks offer, which, don't get me wrong, makes a huge difference. But the accuracy is basically the same. For a club shooter, you might be better picking up one of these rifles, and graduating to a better, more current rifle, when you "max out" on your starter rifle. These rifles are available as ex-club guns out of Germany for very low prices.

I recently picked up an air rifle as practice for Service Rifle competition. I looked hard at getting a Walther LGR from an importer of used rifles, but ended up with a lower-level rifle for cost reasons. A serious 10m rifle is definitely on my "buy" list for the next year, though.

Good luck!

-John