Thread: Wrist break when firing problem.

Wrist break when firing problem.

Lately Ive developed, what I think is wrist break on pulling trigger (While shooting one handed). While looking at front sight on trigger pull, the muzzel flips up to the right, as though Im flicking a fly off to the right. Its a random thing, but dont know how to consistantly avoid the problem. Is there a way of locking the wrist that I havent learned yet?
    Last edited by peteswright; 19-03-2012 at 12:48 PM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Check out this analysis of shot grouping:

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/Pi...t_Analysis.pdf

it may help to explain what you are doing.

Are you a member of a club and is there a coach or instructor around? If not it might be worth trying to get hold of any books on shooting to see if that helps.

I'll pm some ISBN numbers and titles for you tomorrow.

Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post

Are you a member of a club and is there a coach or instructor around? If not it might be worth trying to get hold of any books on shooting to see if that helps.

Mike.
    Thanks for suggestions Mike. ISBN's is good idea, as I'm not in a club. I'm self taught, picking up what I can where I can. It suits my temperament.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

There's no recoil with an air pistol so that and anticipation of it can be ruled out.

It should be easy enough to concentrate on holding the wrist rigid and the problem is probably trigger control, ie. snatching the trigger to coincide with good sight picture.

Try dry firing at a blank wall, concentrating on holding wrist rigid and and slowly squeezing trigger. Then firing live, shoot at blank back of target, concentrating on what you are doing.

Works for me most of the time and when I do produce flyers, I recognise where the problem is.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post

Mike.
    Hi Mike,

Any chance you could pm me those isbn's please ?

Thanks

Al

Like most problems you have to recognise them to understand them and then they will be easier to deal with. It's a little problem.....

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    Lately Ive developed, what I think is wrist break on pulling trigger (While shooting one handed). While looking at front sight on trigger pull, the muzzel flips up to the right, as though Im flicking a fly off to the right. Its a random thing, but dont know how to consistantly avoid the problem. Is there a way of locking the wrist that I havent learned yet?
    I have problems like that some nights at the club as well - so you are not alone!

Personally I blame the problem on my old age and a temporary lack of concentration, but I suppose there could be more to it than that!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I was getting this muzzle flip, exactly this way up and to the right. I put it down to variation in pellet size of RWS Gecos and Hobbys, where some of the pellets at 4.7m were too tight for the barrel and causing build up of pressure. I now use RWS R10 match pellets 4.49. seems to have 'cured' it.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Muzzle Flip

I found that problem when first shooting a Smith 586, I learned to have the front post touching the left side of the rear aperture so that when I pulled the trigger the fore sight moved to the center putting me on aim,

I was not able cure it any other way??

When I got a Brocock GP .177 it muzzle flipped on firing even double handed,

I cured it by fitting the smaller of the Deben Whisper Moderators to it as a barrel weight,

I look like an out of work Hit Man when I shoot it

I heard that the Marine Handbook Of Pistol Shooting is available on the net.