Thread: Original Model 50 .177

Original Model 50 .177

I am hoping to find a rifle that I always fancied when I was younger (but never had the cash to buy one at the time) - an Original Model 50.

I have long admired the full length stock and the underlever action, and a previous experience with a tatty and broken .22 variant did nothing to deminish the desire to own a realy good .177 example.

I need the .177 version as I want to shoot bell target with it and already have a suitable Original diopter sight to fit it and just need to find a front tunnel sight (and a suitable Model 50) to get started and stop my pal John from having all of the Model 50 fun with his recently repaired example.

The Model 50 would have to have the sight fitting rail on it ( I think some of the early ones did not have this?) to fit my diopter sight , so if anyone has .177 example they would like to "move on" to a good home, please let me know.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Original 50

Surrey Airgun services have one listed on their website. In the collectable section up for £195 dated 1972

mod 50

shame its a 177 you need sparkyman has a nice one in sales in 22 flavor it might be worth asking him he has some nice guns for sale
    i did a good deal with him at the weekend hes a nice chap
    good luck brian

I bought one off Edbear recently (no, it is not for sale!) and am only commenting that he found it less than ideal for bell target, reason being that these guns usually put out no more than 9 ft/lbs and often less. Ed said that with a full power gun pellets that hit the edge stand a better chance of scoring than those fired out of a lower powered gun.

I am not familiar with bell target and just forwarding this info in case it helps, in case you may be better off searching for an alternative.

.177s are less common than .22s, I have a couple in this calibre and even though they need work intend to keep them because of this. But doubtless a usable .177 will turn up eventually, and at the right price, if you are still set on acquiring one!
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Surrey Airgun services have one listed on their website. In the collectable section up for £195 dated 1972
    I just called them and it has been sold - but thanks for the "heads up".

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    I bought one off Edbear recently (no, it is not for sale!) and am only commenting that he found it less than ideal for bell target, reason being that these guns usually put out no more than 9 ft/lbs and often less. Ed said that with a full power gun pellets that hit the edge stand a better chance of scoring than those fired out of a lower powered gun.

I am not familiar with bell target and just forwarding this info in case it helps, in case you may be better off searching for an alternative.

.177s are less common than .22s, I have a couple in this calibre and even though they need work intend to keep them because of this. But doubtless a usable .177 will turn up eventually, and at the right price, if you are still set on acquiring one!
    Thanks for your advice.

I am aware that the Model 50 is down on power compared to most other sporting rifles, but it is accurate and our league has a lower power restriction to encourage the use of classic match rifles that run a lot less power than this in any case. (check rossendale model target club to see the new Bell target rules).

My pal has cut two turns off of his Model 50 to get down to the power limit - and it is a beaut!

Other leagues use full power rifles, and in this company the Model 50 would not be the best choice!

Original 50

There is another 50 for sale on Guntrader at the moment with Bill Sherwood Shooting Supplies in Worcestershire but its a whopping £275, sorry couldn't get the link to work

Or for £250 there is this one on Gunstar

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Air-Rifles/...e-gs63146.aspx

Both .177.
    Last edited by coburn; 21-03-2012 at 02:39 PM.