Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where's the Scotsman Thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel
    No one here should apologise for speaking their mind when it comes to this kind of “sensational” journalism. If anyone should say sorry, it's this sorry excuse of a wo(man).
    Unless 'speaking their mind' assists the disgraceful claims of this 'journalist', Pavel.

Terry,

I really cant see why this document (which is on the Countryside Alliances news page) is anything but in the best interests of the readership?

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Richard

Think it's more to do with our heated and justified replies than the original article itself.

Still, probably for the best that it was removed. The anti's will have been jumping and screaming with joy if it had been left alone for all to see.

That's your call, Richard. I happen to think otherwise, and for the reasons I've given.

You do have the benefit of seeing the responses.

I left a valid post, popped out for a sandwich, read shooting times and when I log back in its gone

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.
    Sot on Mr Doe.

Sorry about the glib reply, Richard, but it's me who'll be on the sharp end of this if it gets to the radio/TV debate stage, and the last thing we need is abusive replies from our own forum being used against us.

Obviously, the nerve, ignorance and sheer stupidity of this woman would enrage any right-thinking airgunner but to assist her in any way would be far more damaging to us and our sport. She's wrong, we're right - and those facts must be shown to be just that.

All the best.

Terry

Hi Terry,

"the nerve, ignorance and sheer stupidity of this woman " - Brilliantly put Sir!!

The really unfortunate, and unjust thing, given the circumstances, and the biased attitude of this obvious gun hating person with an unknown agenda of her own, is that we will never be given the opportunity to make a more reasoned reply in the same forum, ie, her journal. That will never be allowed by the press.

That is really unforgiveable.

Doug
    Last edited by savantuk; 14-03-2005 at 03:24 PM.
    Regards,

Doug

timt00 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D
    Sorry about the glib reply, Richard, but it's me who'll be on the sharp end of this if it gets to the radio/TV debate stage, and the last thing we need is abusive replies from our own forum being used against us.

Obviously, the nerve, ignorance and sheer stupidity of this woman would enrage any right-thinking airgunner but to assist her in any way would be far more damaging to us and our sport. She's wrong, we're right - and those facts must be shown to be just that.

All the best.

Terry
    Terry,

You were right to pull this. Having read this piece and some of her other articles it seems to me like this journalist is trolling for responses. This immediately got up my nose until I realised that this was just someone trolling for a reaction.

No good will come of trying to reason or otherwise except via in impartial medium as it's likely that the response would be edited / spun to meet her agenda.

It's interesting to look over her next article in the section - posted below, with my own bold highlighting - and compare it with her statement in the airguns article "....those who think it’s hysterically funny to cause pain and suffering to defenceless animals...." Ho hum, some more double standards? It looks to me like she's just trying to press any button to raise a "debate" and justify her column without any coherence in her outlook on life

Parties not so bad in grand scheme

THEY are coming your way. Pampering parties for girls aged four to 14 are already a big success in England and are creeping across the Border.

The little darlings get made up with their nails painted and their hair styled. There’s an outcry because psychologists, teachers and family groups fear parties of Lolitas dressed like little tarts, and children made old and vain before their time.

As a little girl, I would rather have been fishing in the burn in my wellies than dressed as a fairy in sparkly shoes, so I can’t quite understand the attraction. Nor do I have female offspring, so our house is a totally Barbie-free zone, mercifully.

However, it does seem to me that there’s no point getting in a paddy about these middle-class pampering parties, which at least take place behind closed doors, while we have whole schemes full of misguided mothers who inflict ear-piercings on babies and let their ten-year-olds wear nail varnish and make-up in public.

chris ballard Guest
    The problem seems to be that one person can say, in print, exactly what she thinks (substantiated or otherwise), about who the hell she likes, and have absoloutely no comeback whatsoever . These people are always the first to shout and the last to apologise. The person who shot the poor nipper, and any others like them, should be hounded and dealt with accordingly....or is that too much like hard work when given, it is easier to punish the easy targets like us.

I mentioned that someone should, if possible, take legal action for one reason only.

It is the only form of redress that may, just may, cause these individuals to think before they publish what they "think" to be the case. The real sadness is, that whilst in the heat of indignation, some of us may say things that may not come across in a wholly balanced manner, they still echo what most of us feel. That the press must not be allowed to print slanderous (or is it libelous?..I can never remember) comments about us. The only reason they get away with it is because we are a faceless victim, no one in particular, and to them, just a target to kick.

Its not just what was written (and its total departure from what most of us would recognise as the facts) but the fact it can be done without redress.

We should be baying for, at the very least, a withdrawral of the article (bit late now) or an apology to the vast majority of reponsible gun owners.

If we act irresponsibly, someone gets hurt, and someone gets dealt with by the law. If they act irresponsibly...well?

On a less onerous note, my father in law gave me a brand new Webley hurricane air pistol yesterday (I dont believe it, but he bought it years ago to shoot pigeons with!!! ).

I was intending to use it for...dare I say it....fun, plinking on the farm.

It has a horrible plastic scope rail, anyone make a metal replacement?

Anyone know of a reasonably priced sight? Quite fancy a red dot as I used an old singlepoint years ago on my SLR in the mob.

Suppose I should be less lazy and use the iron sights. Any (polite or at least usefull) comments or ideas?

Fat Chris.

I almost feel sorry for her husband, if she still has one, and her children.

chris ballard Guest

To chadders

BL**DY hell matey, says it all really does it not!!! A fisherwoman...the heanous murderer!! (sorry anglers...with you all the way, that really was meant to be ironic).

Hello,

Here's an interesting passage quoted from one of her 'Scotsman' articles...

We really must stop stigmatising all youngsters on the assumption they are up to no good and start concentrating on the ones who are clearly breaking the law and causing trouble.

If some people think it’s hard to tell the difference, I suggest that’s because of what has become almost institutionalised bigotry against the young.

How does this rather refreshing attitude gel with the following quotes from the airgun article??....

All we do know for sure is who uses them . . . those who think firemen are great targets, those who think it’s hysterically funny to cause pain and suffering to defenceless animals and now . . . those who kill children.... and

Invariably, they are owned by the less savoury members of our society quite simply because normal people couldn’t possibly find a constructive use for them.

Not like her to make unsubstantiated attempts at character assassination is it??

For those who are interested, you can read all of her 'well reasoned' articles, all obviously written with the benefit of hindsigt and irrefutable evidence here....

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?...4&id=277212005

And here's me thinking that Billy Connolly was the best Scots comedian

Doug
    Regards,

Doug

Chris

Yes, I guess I should make it plain (before I go home and come back tommorow to find death threats from the "murderous" fishermen on here ) that I was only trying to point out HER inconsistencies rather than further my own deparate attempt to impose a total ban on all shrimping nets, bent pins and crab lines for which there is no legitimate use appart from the violent slaughter of... etc etc etc.

Jo