Thread: Scope - procrastination!

steven is offline Whist - it's the new rock'n'roll, innit?

Scope - procrastination!

I've decided to get a new scope, however, after three weeks, I am still bl00dy well procrastinating!

Here's the current list of choices:

1. EB Sniper / Nikko Sniper

Popular for HFT, which will be one of the main uses, but with fixed mag, maybe a bit of a 'one trick Pony' - plus its the most expensive option.

2. 4-12 Sidewinder

Reports on the BBS suggest the optics are crap, but the one I looked through seemed as clear as the EB sniper
    Has the advantage of versatility; adjustable mag, and sidewheel pa.

3. Bushnell Legend 5-15

Never looked through one, but optics are reportedly very clear. Down side is lack of target turrets (and the fact that Iv'e never actually looked through one!)

A push in the right direction would be appreciated!
    Last edited by steven; 13-03-2005 at 08:20 PM.

Steven, having had all from your list, I'd go for the SW.
    I happen to have a brand spanker for sale too.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

steven is offline Whist - it's the new rock'n'roll, innit?
    From post dated 21/01/05.....

Quote Originally Posted by Davestate
    Ed, you must be the luckiest person alive! I've looked through quite a few SW's, (even have a new one in the cupboard) and they have all been typical Hawke quality - cheap and nasty.
    Now; I do not claim to be a detective, but this seems an almost mecurial change of opinion Dave?

Darren Petts Guest
    In the same price range consider a 7x50 Meopta Artemis 2000. Optics from the same shelf as the very best and some nice reticles too.

Scopes

I have had a Nikko Sniper, nice and bright and rear p/a, the 5-15 Legend is a fantastic scope, for the price it cannot be beaten.

Totally unimpressed with the Sidewinders I've looked through, I think the AGS Swat is brighter and excellent value for money.

Out of all these, I would buy the Legend.

HTH

Regards

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    From post dated 21/01/05.....

Now; I do not claim to be a detective, but this seems an almost mecurial change of opinion Dave?
    Hence the wink & a smiley in my first post Steven.
    They have crap optics, tight rings and weigh a ton - avoid like the plague!
    Rgds,
    Dave.

Hi Davestate,

"They have crap optics, tight rings and weigh a ton - avoid like the plague!"

If it really is as crap as you say, , I'll take it off your hands, and give you a generous £10 for it £10 for a load of crap can't be bad now, can it?

Doug
    Regards,

Doug

The new AGS SWAT 3-12x44 sounds worth adding to the list.

Jonathan

or the leapers accushot 3-12x44 for ~ 80 notes less

Longer and pricey, the 6-24x40 bushnell elite 4200 mildot is nice too.

Martin.

Weaver Tactical 4.5-14x40 - 1st focal reticule and brighter than a very bright thing on fire !! - Shame about the price innit ???
    N

Doug, it belongs to thepigeonshooter, long story as how it came to me, but I've owned 2 others previously, a 6-18 and a 8-32, both same as this one. Having said that, the lower mag is the one to go for out of the range.

My suggested scope would be a Nikko Stirling Diamond 6-24x42, best all-rounder available for this sort of money - £350 from BAR.
    Rgds,
    Dave.

Darren Petts Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Davestate
    My suggested scope would be a Nikko Stirling Diamond 6-24x42, best all-rounder available for this sort of money - £350 from BAR.
    I've seen through a couple of these and they fall into my perfectly useable class. There's no way I'd swap one for my 6-24x40 Bushnell Elite mil-dot though which is cheaper if imported from the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Petts
    I've seen through a couple of these and they fall into my perfectly useable class. There's no way I'd swap one for my 6-24x40 Bushnell Elite mil-dot though which is cheaper if imported from the USA.
    Agreed 100%, iveonly seen down one nikko.....they just don;t compare.

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Another option I'd definitely consider would be a 2nd hand Deben MilPro (in either 6.5-26x52 or the higher mag - think it was 8-32x52). These were the forerunner to the Sidewinder, before Deben renamed the Millitary & Police the MilPro (very confusing Mr Deben ) but completely different manufacturer and MUCH higher quality (optics and mechanicals) than the Sidewinder.

Assuming you could find a well cared for example, there appear to be a few around selling for £190-£230 (original cost about the £300 mark).

I've got one of the 6.5-26s and - NO - it's not miraculously up for sale. I like it way too much !!

Biggles

Buy second-hand, let someone else pay the depreciation. The best 'scope I've got is the Bushnell Elite 6-24x40, I'd recommend that if you can ever find a used one, though they are very long. What gun would it be used on, or did I miss that nugget of information. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C