Thread: Pistol grip modifications

Pistol grip modifications

Hi all,

Starting to notice that my grip on the pistol is causing a few issues - mostly discipline related, I will wriggle my hand round on grip when I know I shouldn't to adjust my hold or use thumb pressure to hold aim

I need to alter the grip so the whole palmshelf has about another 2/3mm adjustment to close up the gap slightly for the three fingers that (obviously!) aren't used for the trigger - I know I can do this

I'd also like to adjust the angle of the palmshelf slightly to support my hand - only by a few degrees, but this is the mod that worries me.. if the pistol is used for competitions (and I will one day!) will it meet regulations?

Not looking to curl palmshelf round, but just enough to make the contact between the edge? of my hand and the palmshelf more positive

Regulations here;

http://fptiro.net/fotos/editor2/2011...21.02.2011.pdf

Would suggest that its not allowed, so would grip putty to shape the palmshelf or getting busy with the dremel be a way round it? That way the palmshelf is still at 90 degrees to the grip, its just the contour of the palmshelf that has been altered
    Steyr LP10E... when you absolutely positively have to punch neat holes in the middle at 10m accept no substitute

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    You need to be carefull how you alter the palmshelf, it has to be flat, you can roll the edges off but dont put in any curl. Its difficult to break the rules making an adjustment on a standard Steyr palm shelf which I'm presuming you have so you can pull it up firmly to the base of the little finger.
    Its not good technique to put thumb pressure onto the thumb shelf, the thumb cut out is there to allow the thumb to stay clear, the grip should be between the back of the hand and web and the front of the three fingers across the front of the grip.
    Its best to discuss this with a good coach so I would do that at your club or if you don't have a club coach contact the county association, they can put you in touch with your county coach.
    Good Shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thanks Robin

Always tricky to describe grip 'issues', it is a standard Steyr medium grip, which when adjusted up to its highest point still leaves me a small gap between little finger and palmshelf - it's this gap that I need to close to make the grip 'fit'

At present the palm of the grip is fine, distance across back is fine, three fingers fit spot on around grip - I just find myself adjusting or wriggling fingers up and down, usually using pressure from thumb to keep grip with three fingers because of the gap
    Steyr LP10E... when you absolutely positively have to punch neat holes in the middle at 10m accept no substitute

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    The most common technique I see is too add a flat piece of thin ply to the contact face of the palm shelf and that then raises the contact point and gives more adjustment.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thats what I've decided on

I looked at drilling out the slots the bolts and captive nuts slide along, but would rather not molest the grip too much, so gone for some thin sheets of balsa built up, currently glued, clamped and drying - if it doesn't work the PVA glue should just peel away

Thanks for your help - much appreciated