Thread: Hi from a newbie

tpe Guest

Hi from a newbie

Hi all, this seems like a very active forum and full of good advice. So hopefully a good place for a newbie like me to get all the silly questions of his chest (I havbe done a fair bit of lurking, but just end up with more questions ), so here goes.

I started with rimfire as a kid and had a couple of springers many many years ago, but nothing for decades, however, recently i havnt been able to resist annoying the wife by buying a second hand PCP, a FX 200 that should arive here in Denmark in a couple of weeks.

I am really looking forward to getting started but would like to know a couple of things first.

Is it a good idea to lube the pelets, if so with what and how, and incedently what is a good pellet to start with.

The gun is second hand and unseen by me as yet, what should i check first, safty and function wise (I have an appointment to check that it is legal in denmark) ?

I have not secured a way of charging it yet, what is the best concidering that there is no scuba diving facilities near buy. I would also like to take it into the scandinavian woods with me, so weight is a problem for longer hikes, is there anything like a buddy bottle, or very small diving flask that is portable that can be used for a couple of charges witout having to carry a pump or heavy bottle about with me (what do you do when you go for a long trek, just go home when the charge is out?)?

Any tips on basic maintainance?

Incedently any advice you can think of that i havn't thought to ask would be gratly apreciated.

Yours with thanks

tim
    Last edited by tpe; 15-03-2005 at 08:49 PM.

Welcome to the BBS, happy safe shooting.

Regards
    Barry
    http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner

http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner2388

Daystate MKIII RT (A).177" - Daystate MKIII RT (B) .22" (FAC) - Daystate MKIII RT (B2) Short .177" - Daystate MKIII Sports CDT (C) - Daystate X2 Sports R .177" - Daystate Harrier X .22" (FAC)

www.daystateowners.com

Quote Originally Posted by tpe

I have not secured a way of charging it yet, what is the best concidering that there is no scuba diving facilities near buy. I would also like to take it into the scandinavian woods with me, so weight is a problem for longer hikes, is there anything like a buddy bottle, or very small diving flask that is portable that can be used for a couple of charges witout having to carry a pump or heavy bottle about with me?

Any tips on basic maintainance?

Incedently any advice you can think of that i havn't thought to ask would be gratly apreciated.

Yours with thanks

tim
    I thought everywhere was by the sea in Denmark

You can get a 3 litre bottle which would give you a few fills whilst hiking, as fro basic maintenance, just the basics realy keep it clean and dry. If it does get wet make sure you take the stock off dry thoroughly and wipe with an oily cloth before re-fitting stock.

have fun

tpe Guest
    @bunnybasher, yes it is, its just too damn cold to put your toes in

Welcome to the forum, Tim,

Ok, first of all, lubing pellets. There are those "for, against and indifferent". I lube mine, just a few drops in a tin. I think they help, but I'm sure there will be someone along shortly to say otherwise. As for the pellets themselves, the choice is rather large. I would suggest you try and few different ones and just see how you get on with them. Again, someone with an FX200 will put you right, hopefully!!

Regarding charging, if you really haven't got a place to fill a scuba bottle, then you are going to have to purchase a pump. Simple as that really. Harris is supposed to be the best. But prepare for some exercise, they look a pain to use.

As for maintenance, keep it clean. Lots of other things but I'll leave that to someone else to mention. I've got to go now.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by tpe
    @bunnybasher, yes it is, its just too damn cold to put your toes in
    I lived in kiel for 3 years, I know exactly what you mean

Gary C Guest
    Flee. Flee before it's too late........

wealcome tim. how do you get a name like that where you are?.
    not many scadinavians are called tim. timmochca?.
    with my brockock i had a styrup pump.
    a little different, but the same. light, easy to carry, charges the rifle.
    lubing, i use turtlewax, 5 parts water 2 parts wax. let it dry for two days or more.
    might be worth, when affordable, buying a second bottle. i will be doing this with my 200.
    good luck and good hunting.

Hi Tim, grap a chair and make yourself at home, I am new too ! You can talk about anything except politic and current affair here in UK....
    HW97K Lazaglide, HW80 Lazaglide(ex), Sidewinder(ex), FX2000(ex), Fenman(ex), Evolution(ex), HW45(ex), Hurricane(ex), SLR98(?), Wiscombe(?).
    SureFire G2+P91, SureFire G2+P60, SureFire E2, SureFire 6P+3W BOG, SureFire 6P+A19+P90, Mag 3D+3W+LOP, Mag 2C+1W+MOP, SL Strion, QIII, Surefire L1

tpe Guest
    Many thanks to all for the welcome, and for the advice, i think it has covered just about everything with the possible exception of pellets, http://www.nordisk-forum.dk/Hagl.htm (our local weapon forum) recomend a check brand JSB match pellets, anyone know if they are suitable? I am oing to try them and AA fields first. And if there is anything i should check for when getting a secondhand fx2000 for the first time

I would like to try lubing just to keep the barrel clean (lead free). What do you use to lube them Pavel? Max headroom, you really use turtle wax for lubing? i hadnt thought of it, and presumed that anything involving water was bad, but i guess if its dry enough it is worth giving a try, so will try and find the scandinavian equivilant. Tim is just the ordinary english Timothy (I only moved here from england 10 years ago or so), is timmochca finnish or greenlandish (either way a hard place to stay for any length of time)?

Charging, i think i will have to get a pump. Although i would prefere a bottle, even 3L sounds big to carry on a hunt but better than nothing, perhaps it would be masochistic (If not physically impossible) to try and charge a 3L bottle with a pump.

Gary C are newbies that dangerous? Pipesmoker, thanks i feel at home already (but i can understand why politics in the UK are taboo given their current and perpetual state , looks like i am in trouble already)...]

So it looks like i have to put an add in the wanted section for a small bottle and a pump, so if any of you guys want to get rid of one just let me know.

Thanks once again for all the help,

tim

These people do a 400cc (buddybottle type) in field recharging set looky looky look in accesories

Welcome TPE
    Steve Topp Brain-finger, Brain-finger, Finger- brain DOOH
    REDFEARNS FTC
    Air Arms Owners Club

tpe Guest
    Thanks tyke good to be here

@bunnybasher, thanks again that was a great link, i sent a mail off to them, they really are into quality workmanship, I hope their prices are ok, judging by the engraving examples on their site they may be a insy wincy bit high, but incredable work...

tim