Thread: most powerful air pistol available to us here in UK?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Rockape View Post
    For a springer, consider the Diana LP8 (.177), and for a CO2, try a Benjamin EB22 (.22). I have both, plus a .22 HW45 and a Crossman 2240. All apparently as close to the limit as you will get legally. They all pack a mighty punch!
    yeah thanks man someone told me benjamin EB22 was good, what you think better quality EB22 or HW45? and from the 2 is one more powerful? cheers man

Quote Originally Posted by fannin View Post
    yeah thanks man someone told me benjamin EB22 was good, what you think better quality EB22 or HW45? and from the 2 is one more powerful? cheers man
    Why the power obsession?
    If you know how many guns you’ve got, you haven’t got enough.
    YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by w-v-m View Post
    Why the power obsession?
    because otherwise just get an hw40 right?

just want to know of HW45 and benjamin EB22 which one is more powerful and also if one has higher build quality

HW45 is by far the best quality, but I think it's now around £250, while the Benjamin is about £100; that's good value, hard wood handle and brass metalwork, The Ben is much smaller and lighter too although a bit more fiddly to load until you get used to it.

Why the obsession with power, someone asks? Well I for one don't like to be able to see my pellet travelling towards the target from an under-powered kiddies replica pistol, much prefer something designed to do the job not make you look (and maybe feel) like James Bond or the Lone Ranger... but many others obviously feel different, or these replicas wouldn't sell as well as they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Rockape View Post
    HW45 is by far the best quality, but I think it's now around £250, while the Benjamin is about £100; that's good value, hard wood handle and brass metalwork, The Ben is much smaller and lighter too although a bit more fiddly to load until you get used to it.

Why the obsession with power, someone asks? Well I for one don't like to be able to see my pellet travelling towards the target from an under-powered kiddies replica pistol, much prefer something designed to do the job not make you look (and maybe feel) like James Bond or the Lone Ranger... but many others obviously feel different, or these replicas wouldn't sell as well as they do.
    thanks buddy

i also prefer not to see the pellet in the interim between firing and connection

A number of posts have been removed from this thread.

This pistol turns up to x ftlbs can be interpreted as unhelpful to the long term future if the Sport.

As for " I don't want to see the pellet," perlease! : rolleyes:

At 12ftlbs its still very pleasurable to watch the pellet all the way to the target.
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Quote Originally Posted by delta1 View Post
    A number of posts have been removed from this thread.

This pistol turns up to x ftlbs can be interpreted as unhelpful to the long term future if the Sport.

As for " I don't want to see the pellet," perlease! : rolleyes:

At 12ftlbs its still very pleasurable to watch the pellet all the way to the target.
    Indeedy! Air/CO2/spring/PCP pistols are paper punchers/tin can blatters and not .44 Magnums. If it does 3ftlbs or 5.9, it really doesn't make a difference- it's still not full bore. I can understand the power issue if you are hunting, with an air rifle, but blatting a tin can or popping holes in targets??? I own a fair number of pistols, and so long as they put the pellet on the target at 6, or 10 yds, I don't worry about "super power". If I need power (i.e. if shooting for pest control or other live shooting) I'll use my Ratty or Airmagnum. I know all my pistols do under the legal limit, how much under I'm not really concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    Indeedy! Air/CO2/spring/PCP pistols are paper punchers/tin can blatters and not .44 Magnums. If it does 3ftlbs or 5.9, it really doesn't make a difference- it's still not full bore. I can understand the power issue if you are hunting, with an air rifle, but blatting a tin can or popping holes in targets??? I own a fair number of pistols, and so long as they put the pellet on the target at 6, or 10 yds, I don't worry about "super power". If I need power (i.e. if shooting for pest control or other live shooting) I'll use my Ratty or Airmagnum. I know all my pistols do under the legal limit, how much under I'm not really concerned.
    yeah but nicer to knock a tin can about with a 5.5ftlbs or whatever hw45 than a 2 or 3ftlbs or whatever it does hw40 no? nice to hit it a bit harder i think otherwise the hw40 is much cheaper, much lighter, looks better (subjective) and has no report or recoil so why do guys love their hw45's and why does it exist? got to be the harder-hittingness i think

yeah but nicer to knock a tin can about with a 5.5ftlbs or whatever hw45 than a 2 or 3ftlbs or whatever it does hw40 no? nice to hit it a bit harder i think otherwise the hw40 is much cheaper, much lighter, looks better (subjective) and has no report or recoil so why do guys love their hw45's and why does it exist? got to be the harder-hittingness i think
    Oh, I dunno- with a multishot Umarex/Zastava/Drulov or whatever, you can keep the can bouncing without having to reload after each shot

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    ... i think otherwise the hw40 is much cheaper, much lighter, looks better (subjective) and has no report or recoil so why do guys love their hw45's and why does it exist? got to be the harder-hittingness i think
    All the above is true, but you missed one thing - the HW40/P17 is as dull as dishwater...
    Obviously a subjective thing but for all their smart looks and good performance they can't match the character and purposefullness of the HW45 IMO. Ugly teutonic monster that it is, it has an appeal when held in the hand that doesn't come across on the page or screen.

Hitting harder always helps too though As far as why anyone would want a harder hitting pistol, it may not make a difference to paper but reactive targets are definitely more fun the more they react, within reason

Re:the HW45, at some point - I don't know if it is the current crop or a previous production run - the .22s were single power only, so not all are dual power. AFAIK all the .177s are dual power though.
    Buy a good second hand one, and you can have proper iron sights and not the silly plastic glowy things

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    You should try IPAS with an HW45
    Having said that I put in a creditable time with a Gamo SSP last year

- Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Nope, and a sure sign of a lack of experience with same, trust me - with spring power a 5½ft/lb'er will be unpleasant to cock, be un-naturally large in size, and will be heavy to contain the powerful spring it will require.
    With CO2 it will be bloody loud in unsilenced form attracting unwanted attention, it will probably require an overly long barrel as well.
    Both will also be probably inaccurate due to a combination of the above.

There is a 'macho' obsession with power amongst the uninformed - as for the HW45 it is seldom as powerful as people think they are, its over-sized, top heavy, diesels like a pig and the dual-power is a silly gimmick as the point of impact is so different.
    However it is reasonably well made.

But if you're actually a shooter rather than a talker, you'll quickly tire of the power and yearn for the ability to actually put the pellet wher you want it go rather than having the most powerful near-miss or 'flyer' as you'll quickly call them