Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: most powerful air pistol available to us here in UK?

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by fannin View Post
    ... i think otherwise the hw40 is much cheaper, much lighter, looks better (subjective) and has no report or recoil so why do guys love their hw45's and why does it exist? got to be the harder-hittingness i think
    All the above is true, but you missed one thing - the HW40/P17 is as dull as dishwater...
    Obviously a subjective thing but for all their smart looks and good performance they can't match the character and purposefullness of the HW45 IMO. Ugly teutonic monster that it is, it has an appeal when held in the hand that doesn't come across on the page or screen.

Hitting harder always helps too though As far as why anyone would want a harder hitting pistol, it may not make a difference to paper but reactive targets are definitely more fun the more they react, within reason

Re:the HW45, at some point - I don't know if it is the current crop or a previous production run - the .22s were single power only, so not all are dual power. AFAIK all the .177s are dual power though.
    Buy a good second hand one, and you can have proper iron sights and not the silly plastic glowy things

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    yeah but nicer to knock a tin can about with a 5.5ftlbs or whatever hw45 than a 2 or 3ftlbs or whatever it does hw40 no? nice to hit it a bit harder i think otherwise the hw40 is much cheaper, much lighter, looks better (subjective) and has no report or recoil so why do guys love their hw45's and why does it exist? got to be the harder-hittingness i think
    You should try IPAS with an HW45
    Having said that I put in a creditable time with a Gamo SSP last year

- Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Buy a good second hand one, and you can have proper iron sights and not the silly plastic glowy things
    Good Man!
    Well Said, glowsticks are for Funny Goths
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

As I have said before.
    New fangled glo stuff.
    Nothing wrong with sights you cant see.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantia View Post
    Check out what you can do to the Benjamin with a little FeCl scratch!
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537...+EB22+Makeover
    Nobody else has said anything but I think it looked better before.

ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    Nobody else has said anything but I think it looked better before.

ATVB, Mick
    Well, his designs are rather basic, but overall I think he's done a great job on it.
    Looks all 'steam punk' now LOL!

Best
    Gene

P.S. I use FeCl fairly often, if I ever come across a tatty Benjamin it's going to get a scratch for sure!
    .....Not sure I'd attack a minty one though.

Just to add my 2p's worth re the power issue

I like my .22 HW45 as it is able to reset my Gamo knock down target set up where as my lower power pistols struggle to do this

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Good Man!
    Well Said, glowsticks are for Funny Goths

OI!
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Quote Originally Posted by IH View Post
    Just to add my 2p's worth re the power issue

I like my .22 HW45 as it is able to reset my Gamo knock down target set up where as my lower power pistols struggle to do this

in the back of my sick mind this is what i meant when trying to justify why i want a more powerful air pistol but the words didn't come: to reset the knockdown targets, thanks man

the Anics Skiff3000 is on that power level? i thought it would be equivalent to umarex 1911 type power
    please guys? i'd really like to know

please guys? i'd really like to know
    The anics skiff3000 is around 380-400fps making it comparable to the umarex models, and every other co2 semi auto pistol currently on the market.
    BSA METEOR MK1 T33310, EDGAR BROS XVI, S410 Superlight, 4x CROSMAN 2240's in .177.22.25, CROSMAN 1377, PX4 BERETTA, WEBLEY TEMPEST, COLT SAA, COLT DEFENDER CO2, GLETCHER WITNESS 1911, GSG-92, PP700W, CROSMAN 600, SUMATRA 2500

Quote Originally Posted by Russo121 View Post
    The anics skiff3000 is around 380-400fps making it comparable to the umarex models, and every other co2 semi auto pistol currently on the market.
    yeah what i thought so a lot less than hw45 and eb22 thanks bro

harvey_s is online now Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    yeah but nicer to knock a tin can about with a 5.5ftlbs or whatever hw45 than a 2 or 3ftlbs or whatever it does hw40 no? nice to hit it a bit harder i think otherwise the hw40 is much cheaper, much lighter, looks better (subjective) and has no report or recoil so why do guys love their hw45's and why does it exist? got to be the harder-hittingness i think
    Nope, and a sure sign of a lack of experience with same, trust me - with spring power a 5½ft/lb'er will be unpleasant to cock, be un-naturally large in size, and will be heavy to contain the powerful spring it will require.
    With CO2 it will be bloody loud in unsilenced form attracting unwanted attention, it will probably require an overly long barrel as well.
    Both will also be probably inaccurate due to a combination of the above.

There is a 'macho' obsession with power amongst the uninformed - as for the HW45 it is seldom as powerful as people think they are, its over-sized, top heavy, diesels like a pig and the dual-power is a silly gimmick as the point of impact is so different.
    However it is reasonably well made.

But if you're actually a shooter rather than a talker, you'll quickly tire of the power and yearn for the ability to actually put the pellet wher you want it go rather than having the most powerful near-miss or 'flyer' as you'll quickly call them

I would agree that the HW45 is not as powerful as is often thought - I have owned 5 and the most powerful was just over 5ft/lb

I would also agree that dual power is a waste of time - I never use mine on the lower setting

Accuracy however, is excellent once the right technique is mastered

I will admit that they look top heavy but they certainly dont feel it

If I could own only one air pistol it would probably be an HW45

Pistol Power

Pistol Power is not always about how yo Pistol punches,

An EB albeit it .22 a .20 or .177 roars it's challenge and yer popcan will flinch or fallover, thats power!

Fill yer can with water and an EB will split it's sternum and a small waterspout will go skywards! thats power
    It will also piss off! your neighbours

It is the only Co2 pistol I have owned that has recoil

HW 45 has a manly twang, I have owned both the .177 and .22, I must admit I did not get on well with the .177 but loved the .22

single power and I blew cans and waterspouts all over the place,

HW 40 wow! 3x32 Rhino Pistol Scope, Daystate Select 4.51 pellets,
    deadly, 10 10 10 10 10 bored crapless! SOLD IT!

£39 SMK spring Pistol .177

40 ftlbs trigger, squeeze barrel, wot a piece of poop! Kath my better half tried a shot in my small (nee box) workshop and killed my Homemade anglepoise lamp

Spent Winter months having a tiddle! you know the stuff,

Diamond filed the sears two strokes per strip and fitted the superb buried in laquer wooden butt and gleaming metal work with a red dot sight and came sixth in a Kibworth pistol Comp,

Dog With Two Tails!

Moral of the story;

WHATEVER FITS YER PISTOL