Thread: Webley Longbow down on power

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”

Webley Longbow down on power

Gents,

Spent a fantastic afternoon plinking and teaching my little brother to shoot with the above rifle.

I bought it new in 2005-2006 and it's had about a tin of pellets through it since.

I put it over the chronograph out of curiousity and found that it producing a mighty 6.8 ft/lbs on average.

Is this about right for these rifles or has the spring become knackered in storage?

I have never stored it cocked.

Can I simply drop a new spring in or is it worth getting one of these tuning kits I've seen advertised?

TIA,
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 06-04-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Doh, Ft/lbs not fps....
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Gents,

Spent a fantastic afternoon plinking and teaching my little brother to shoot with the above rifle.

I bought it new in 2005-2006 and it's had about a tin of pellets through it since.

I put it over the chronograph out of curiousity and found that it producing a mighty 6.8 fps on average.

Is this about right for these rifles or has the spring become knackered in storage?

Can I simply drop a new spring in or is it worth getting one of these tuning kits I've seen advertised?

TIA,

6.8fps, that is low. May as well throw the pellets. On a serious note that is very very low, i would strip the rifle and have a look.

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

secretagentmole Guest
    Get a kit, it will probably need new washers and seals as well if it has never been serviced!

A Webley Longbow in fine fettle is more than capable of producing output power up to the legal limit, so there is definitely something amiss with your particular rifle.

Gents,

I put it over the chronograph out of curiousity and found that it producing a mighty 6.8 fps on average.

TIA,
    You certainly need to strip the rifle. I suspect a faulty piston seal rather than a knackered spring. You haven't shot enough pellets through this rifle for it to be a spring problem. When you open it up it should be pretty obvious what is wrong.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Thanks lads.

The manual seems to have become lost in the mists of time, is there a guide to stripping it on 'tinternet?
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

does it make a loud mechanical 'clack' on firing? if so, chances are its the piston seel.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow72 View Post
    does it make a loud mechanical 'clack' on firing? if so, chances are its the piston seel.
    I don't think so.

It seems pretty smooth in firing but I shoot a 8lb 30.06 for 9 months of the year so the comments I've read about harsh recoil from spring rifles is a bit beyond me at the moment.

Thanks for your replies chaps.

Thanks lads.

The manual seems to have become lost in the mists of time, is there a guide to stripping it on 'tinternet?
    Here you go Amir!

http://www.airrifleshop.co.uk/Manual...ey_Longbow.pdf

Look after that Longbow, if it's a Birmingham made one, it's a classic and there won't be any more...

Good luck with it!

If you want to tune it on the cheap, piston seal from maccari in the US, POK! on here for the spring (if original spring is good then re-use), send the lot to someone like UK Neil for spring guides / top hat & to button the piston / size the piston seal.
    www.savedeathrowdogs.co.uk Very urgently need homes for: Male staff cross, approx 1 year old, will be neutered, very loving but not great with other dogs. Stuck in pound. 2) 2 year old male choc lab. 3) 2 year old cockerpoo. 4) 20 border collies .

Quote Originally Posted by Space Cadet View Post
    If you want to tune it on the cheap, piston seal from maccari in the US, POK! on here for the spring (if original spring is good then re-use), send the lot to someone like UK Neil for spring guides / top hat & to button the piston / size the piston seal.
    and open up the transfer port just a little, they are a bit on the small side.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    Here you go Amir!

http://www.airrifleshop.co.uk/Manual...ey_Longbow.pdf

Look after that Longbow, if it's a Birmingham made one, it's a classic and there won't be any more...

Good luck with it!
    Thank you Rob.

Mine is a Birmingham made one, though unfortunately only with a beech stock that has picked up a cabinet dings over the years.

The bluing and metal is very nice, even compared to a centrefire. I saw a Turkish made one at the gunshop when we went in to buy some pellets and it didn't seem as well made.

That manual appears to be for the Turkish Longbow, is the rifle still basically the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Space Cadet View Post
    Is this the Maccari kit you're referring to? http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/...488/582397.htm

What sort of damage would we be talking about for a tune by, well I don't know who but say UKneil for the sake of argument? If it's a job better left to an expert then I will consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow72 View Post
    and open up the transfer port just a little, they are a bit on the small side.
    This sounds like the sort of thing I don't want to be doing, I don't have a lathe to bush it and re-drill if I get it wrong the first time.

you need to open the transfer port up to around 3.2mm, polish it, then size a new piston seal correctly and you should see 11 easy.
    I have a Turkish Longbow and went as far as increasing the stroke by 3mm and moving to an Oring piston seal....was MUCH better after I did this with setting the power tight where I wanted it much easier.

This sounds like the sort of thing I don't want to be doing, I don't have a lathe to bush it and re-drill if I get it wrong the first time.
    Sensible bloke. I can recommend Maccari kits, have one in my own Brumbow. Made to order, they usually arrive in a week or so.

I'm a tit, 6.8 ft/lbs not fps....