Thread: Parker hale crank pistol.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Parker hale crank pistol.

I was talking to someone today who has this pistol.Seems a strange beast to me.What's the point of the cranking mechanism?apart from cocking it of course.

Parker Wind Up Pistol

Hi,

The Parker Pecision Pistol was patented in 1920 by A. Hale & E. Harris and only had a brief production period probably due to its complicated mechanism which must have been expensive to make and probably difficult to maintain. Although a little inelegant it came from a respected manufacturer and was very well made. The only purpose of the crank was to cock the pistol and was designed to automatically disengage after three turns which left the pistol ready to load and fire. Interestingly, the pistol has a loading gate at the rear which also has a heavy guage wire pellet seater to push the pellet into the shallow rifleing before closing the gate.

These pistols are rare, but examples do sometimes turn up at Arms Fairs & Auctions.

I am presently looking to buy an example of the Parker Pistol should your contact ever wish to part with his.

Regards

Brian

Thank you for that,very interesting.I think he's rather fond of it and only shoots it occasionally.He has the original box as well which is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by brucieboy View Post
    Thank you for that,very interesting.I think he's rather fond of it and only shoots it occasionally.He has the original box as well which is a bonus.
    He has the original box!!! I would have thought rocking horse poo was easier to find! Lucky chap.

Maybe not,don't know what the original box was like.It's in this.

Parker Pistol Box

Quote Originally Posted by brucieboy View Post

Maybe not,don't know what the original box was like.It's in this.
    Hard to be absolutely sure from the photograph posted. The original carton would have had a hinged lid and would have been covered with a reddish brown leather cloth with no exterior label. The label inside the lid looks correct and gave operating instructions and ranges at which the pistol could be expected to be effective.

So, subject to confirmation of the above the box could well be original and a very rare thing indeed.

Regards

Brian