Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMK B2 .177 Air Rifle, HELP!

SMK B2 .177 Air Rifle, HELP!

When surfing the web (as always!), I came across this really cheap SMK B2 .177 for only £40. I was just wondering whether it is any good and worth the £40. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jack

In the context of Long Range Target Shooting it will be a waste of time

Fine for rats at 15 yards though once it's been tuned

They are not much more than 40 quid new so it's no bargain
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

£39.99 at Solware brand new.....i am sure most on here would tell you not to bother...but on the other hand most on here have probaly had one.....The B2 is the cheapest of the SMK range and when you handle it you soon see why.....Best thing to do is go to a shop and handle one....then try a weihrauch or BSA and see and feel the difference....if your not in a hurry look and buy something off here and save a fortune on new...scopes, moderators, gun bags, pellets are all extras you may want to buy but are often enough included with secondhand guns...my old man used to say...."buy cheap buy twice"

id stay clear of the smk really an go for bsa,weirauch much better guns

You get what you pay for is what people say and with the SMK that is soooooooo true. Get a second hand BSA off here with a little bit more money. The Chinese make only one thing well and that's FOOD

I've owned an smk b2 .. whilst they are good value for money you can forget target shooting at long range with one. I was happy with mine being able to group around 3 inches at 30 yards. Biggest problem i found is the trigger which is very basic & has a horrible stiff unpredictable pull that makes accurate shooting virtually impossible. A tuned one may well be better but still not up to much.

Even Spending an extra £50 or sumin on a 2nd hand rifle would do yourself a favour in the long run.

For a kids introduction to see if they like the sport It is fine and is probably responsible for getting thousands of shooters into the sport in the first place.But for an out of the box gun they are at best a back garden plinker.Don't get me wrong I like Chinese guns and have many of them.But there are better to be had if on the other hand you like to tinker then they can be made to shoot well with little effort.They will never win any beauty competitions but will keep you amused for a long time.But for long range which is where you have posted.Then forget it No cheap gun will ever be able to match up to the top end springers for long range target shooting.There are a few in the SMK range that will do the business but even they require a decent aftermarket spring and lube tune. The B2 is an entry level first time gun and should be treated as such,not ridiculed for it's short commings.Remember it is a 45 year old design (a Diana design at that) and therefor can not be expected to be up with the modern designs.The other factor in the equation is that they almost always give you SMK pellets with the guns these are best used as fishing weights or just very short ranges, they make any gun look rubbish.
    [URL=http://www.ukchineseairgunforum.org.uk/index.php[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by walrus1# View Post
    For a kids introduction to see if they like the sport It is fine and is probably responsible for getting thousands of shooters into the sport in the first place.But for an out of the box gun they are at best a back garden plinker.Don't get me wrong I like Chinese guns and have many of them.But there are better to be had if on the other hand you like to tinker then they can be made to shoot well with little effort.They will never win any beauty competitions but will keep you amused for a long time.But for long range which is where you have posted.Then forget it No cheap gun will ever be able to match up to the top end springers for long range target shooting.There are a few in the SMK range that will do the business but even they require a decent aftermarket spring and lube tune. The B2 is an entry level first time gun and should be treated as such,not ridiculed for it's short commings.Remember it is a 45 year old design (a Diana design at that) and therefor can not be expected to be up with the modern designs.The other factor in the equation is that they almost always give you SMK pellets with the guns these are best used as fishing weights or just very short ranges, they make any gun look rubbish.
    As allways agree with my learned friend Walrus 100 %

secretagentmole Guest
    I started with an SMK B2 many years ago, it was horrible. It recoiled worse than a donkey with a bad hangover, it was sloppily built, woefully inaccurate, but for £35 what could I expect? I knew it was goig to be awful but as a back yard gun it was ok! Ish.... Apparently the modern ones are a lot lot better, with a tune up kit (yes they do make them, they cost more than the gun though) you get a nearly decent shooter out of it! You also get an invaluable lesson in how to strip and rebuild a gun.

Try looking for a starter rifle at about the £100 mark though, I would recommend a Hatsan 55 or 60, these are widely available for twice the price and called a Webley Stingray mark 2! These have lovely solid walnut stocks, quality German mechanicals and a decent trigger!

If you can save up a little more, say get to around the £170 mark you can get a whole world of choice, TX200 or Prosport, HW95, 99, 97, 77 all of which are superb springers. Save a little more and you can move into the world of gas rams with the Hatsan 60S TG GR, which is a superb rifle, really superb, really really superb (I have one by the way).

Avoid a BSA if you can, you will be looking at the modern era BSA rifles, which are all made in Spain and have a patchy quality reputation, if you get a good one it is very very good, but if you get a bad one it is more rank than a 2 month old Paella that has been sitting in the noon day sun! Avoid!

If £40 is all your willing to spend on a gun then the b2 is perfect for you. As the same with anything else if you want better quality you have to pay for it.

The b2 does what promised. It fires a pellet in a particular direction. What more could you expect for £40 new? However if you want to hunt with it I would suggest spending a little more. Even a brand new db4 is only £50 and a big step up
    Seal sets for the SMK XS78 QB78 TH78 XS79 AirGuns ~ £5 each posted

secretagentmole Guest
    Oh and Jetski knows his oils as well, Walnut works well!

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Oh and Jetski knows his oils as well, Walnut works well!
    ya cant beat a bit of tesco walnut oil on your stock
    Seal sets for the SMK XS78 QB78 TH78 XS79 AirGuns ~ £5 each posted

secretagentmole Guest
    Well I use Morrisons....

(Could not find any in Tescos, you wait, some snob will be on here with Waitrose Walnut Oil)!

You dont ger owt for nowt
    Make every shot count.

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lappo View Post
    When surfing the web (as always!), I came across this really cheap SMK B2 .177 for only £40. I was just wondering whether it is any good and worth the £40. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jack
    Dont waste your time and money. I had a SMK XS20 (HW95 copy) that was tuned by Bonnie and Clyde. It was a super gun, but the amount of work needed to get it to that stage would have cost as much as second hand 95. We are talking work only, not including the price of the gun.....
    These guns are truly dire out of the box. Save up a bit more money and get a quality second-hand German gun. It might seem a bit odd, but used guns will shoot a hell of a lot better than new, as the sharpness is rounded off when they are bedded in.
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut