Thread: unusual optical sight

unusual optical sight

I have an unusual optical sight that i would like to know more about ,
    I am quite sure one of you guys will know what it is.
    It is about 4” long , made in black dicast metal, has sight rail screw fittings and adjustment wheels for elevation and windage.
    The sight picture is holographic for want of a better word, you need to keep both eyes open, then you see target and an holographic cross hair, small circle with four lines coming in from compass points. The only markings are on the top “British and Foreign patent pending” but on the scope rail fixing it states made in England.
    Will try and upload a pic when i work out how to do it.

edbear2 Guest

Hi Carlos,
    sounds like a BSA RS1 except they're usually marked as such next to the patent info on top.

torrens

It sounds like a BSA RS1 Reflex sight from about 1981?(prob earlier) I still have mine from then but the mounting screws sheared early in it's life and were replaced with beefier ones. I think my mum paid about sixteen quid for it . A chap called Monroe Hodgeson tested it for AGW popping it on a Mercury, Airsporter and Crosman 766..I have tried it on the same airguns over time and it made the 766 look very strange. Not an accurate sight and quite hard to see the target in less than perfect conditions but I loved it at the time...

I've had to tap the stripped threads oversize on mine....it seemed pretty accurate, about the same as a good red dot sight but as mentioned
    very dependent on the right light conditions.

torrens

Quote Originally Posted by torrens View Post
    I've had to tap the stripped threads oversize on mine....it seemed pretty accurate, about the same as a good red dot sight but as mentioned
    very dependent on the right light conditions.

torrens
    I suppose the system worked accurately enough barr the huge faith BSA put in the human eye to centre the target in the reticle and the clamps being too feeble on a contempory spring airgun.(BSA) Looked space age to me which was brill .Oh and the adjustment "turrets" have vague indexing..

Thanks guys,
    Just clicked on a link that you sent, that is the sight picture you see so must be a BSA reflex sight, however no BSA stamp on this sight, i will get a pic on soon.
    Rgds Carl.

I have 2, like them a lot, used on my Meteor around my Uncles stables on the rats. It was a clever idea but white aiming mark was wrong and needed an illumination device as in dark areas it wouldnt work. Yes It was tested in AGW by Monroe Hodekinson(still have the article ). A copy was made in China with a red aim ing mark.

I still use one of these - currently on a Vulcan. It was using this which has made keep both eyes open when using any sights now.

I had one of those, maybe still kicking around somewhere at the back of a cupboard.

I remember trying to improve the reticule, theres a small allen screw you can undo and the perspex rod at the from comes out. The back of it is has the reticule shape raised, and the rest of the back is planted black, so only light comes through the reticule shape.

I tried painting over the while of it then scratching a thinner reticule... doing it by hand it didn't work too well...

Eventually gave up and bought an aimpoint...(this was back in the '80s)... which i sold with a rifle. Wish I'd kept the aimpoint now..

Daryll.