Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hy-Score pellet tin ??

Hy-Score pellet tin ??

Gentlemen,

I'm looking for a Hy-Score pellet tin to complete a boxed Phoenix Hy-Score pistol.
    Any caliber will do, empty, or with contents.

Thanks for looking...Dave...

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Dave, have you got a piccy or description of the type please?...may be able to help!

ATB, Ed

Hi Ed,
    I think that the tins were red at least the original American tins were, although the pellets were made in England.
    Its thought that they may have been Wasps in a Hy-Score tin, I believe that BSA had some input into the importing of the pistols
    so its possible that the pellets were BSA Pylarm- Wasp rebadged.
    I don't think that Phoenix would have changed the labeling, the first pistols they offered were bitsas made with some original American parts
    and some Phoenix parts, the pellets would have been sourced from the original English makers.
    Maybe some of the more knowledgeable Gents on here can help.

Here is a link to a picture I found :http://www.pbase.com/davecthomson/image/142578379

edbear2 Guest
    Dave, PM sent mate..

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I'm pretty sure that this http://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey_s/7069157119 is the right pellet tin for the Pheonix kits.
    I have an old showing this in the set and this is the one I'm looking for as well if anyone else has a spare...

Complete ad here for reference if anyones interested....http://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey_s/6923100102
    Last edited by harvey_s; 11-04-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I'm pretty sure that this http://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey_s/7069157119 is the right pellet tin for the Pheonix kits.
    I have an old showing this in the set and this is the one I'm looking for as well if anyone else has a spare...

Complete ad here for reference if anyones interested....http://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey_s/6923100102
    That's very different from the tins previously sold in the USA by Lazlo, and I would certainly have expected something different for the UK item, however this site shows a Phoenix cardboard box with partly obscured tin in the artwork, and it is different to the Hornet tin. It could be the same as an american tin http://www.alansairrifles.co.uk/second_hand.htm

There is a nice US tin on e bay now (in Canada) but I don't recall seeing the Hy Score Hornet tin before. I'll post here if I see one.

US tin is Item number: 110859914674
    Last edited by Tantomurata; 12-04-2012 at 04:45 AM.
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

I think Oldandshaky has it right, I remember that the US Hy-Score pellets were actually British made, most likely the classic Eley Wasp in a Hy-Score branded tin.

This pic of a tin I have may help.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantomurata View Post
    That's very different from the tins previously sold in the USA by Lazlo, and I would certainly have expected something different for the UK item, however this site shows a Phoenix cardboard box with partly obscured tin in the artwork, and it is different to the Hornet tin. It could be the same as an american tin http://www.alansairrifles.co.uk/second_hand.htm

There is a nice US tin on e bay now (in Canada) but I don't recall seeing the Hy Score Hornet tin before. I'll post here if I see one.

US tin is Item number: 110859914674
    Go futher down the page (just past the 3/4 mark) and actually theres actually a Pheonix Hy-Score with the same pellet tin shown in the original UK advert, also the red tin in post #8 makes specfic reference to the US Lazlo guns in NY supporting the supposition that this was for the American Guns. (the pellets could have been supplied by a UK manufacturer to keep shipping costs down to imported UK guns or could even have been exported by a UK manufacturer to the US)

On e bay items 400295384888 & 400295387061
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

McAvoy Guns

now have a collectable pellets section

worth a phone call..?

john
    Air Arms TX200HC .177, Hawke AIRMAX 3-9x40 AO
    Air Arms S400F carbine .177, Hawke AIRMAX 4-12x40 AO

Differing pellets?

Hi

It seems entirely possible that the pellets included in the cased sets differed at different stages of production.

The ones in my set aren't Wasps from the same period. As you will see from the pics (quality not great on some, sorry about that), the head shape is different, the Wasps are shinier, the average weight although close is different, the velocity over the Chrono is different too.

However, in a pic in John Milewski's article in this month's AGW, the pellet tin (last pic) is different, though it also looks to be a pointed pellet; perhaps not the original pellets that came with the set? I've just noticed that it is a tin of 200 so undoubtedly .22 rather than the .177 that came with all the various cased sets I had.

Looking at the picture in my article in SWAT, although the quality of the pic isn't great, the tin in that early cased set from Phoenix does seem to be Hy-Score Hornets, the same as in my later cased set from Hy-Score Arms Ltd. The cased set picture in Johns article is of an even later model because it has the Hy-score adjustable sight, rather than the Weirauch one Hy-Score used on mine.

I know this adds to the difficulty, but I think that to be authentic you need to find not just a pellet tin for a cased set but the one that was used for the period when that set was produced. Various features of the pistol, the sights perhaps being the most obvious, could give clues as to that.
    Last edited by DavidC; 06-05-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Hi David,
    The pellet tin illustrated with my cased set in AGW (I think it was the Dec 2010 issue) was bought with the set and is contemporary with regards to age. Although unmarked, I believe the contents to be H&N pointed. As the tin is not marked with a maker, it is possible that Phoenix had a batch labelled for them, as H&N did this for numerous other manufacturers.

I agree the tin with a boxed or cased set should be contemporary with it and if it helps, the following is a brief summary of which set I believe goes with which pellet tin:

1. Early American made "Luger shaped" Hyscore - Hyscore tins as described by Hyscore 100 in post #8
    2. Later American made "Luger shaped" Hyscore that were imported by BSA (although I believe they were not marked as BSA)
    in the late 60's/early 70s: As above or a tin of BSA Pylarm would be correct
    3. Phoenix made "British" Hyscore: Hornet pellets with the Sandwich, Kent address as illustrated in post #12

All the best,
    John

Hi John

Thanks for clarifying that as I couldn't make out most of the markings on the tin so I wasn't sure.

And the article I was talking about of course was the one you sent me, not this month's which is the Gat.

Hey ho, it's Sunday, I think I should go back to bed!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Hi John

Thanks for clarifying that as I couldn't make out most of the markings on the tin so I wasn't sure.

And the article I was talking about of course was the one you sent me, not this month's which is the Gat.

Hey ho, it's Sunday, I think I should go back to bed!
    You are very welcome David,

Also, forgot to say the Wasp tin you illustrated may not have been made for Eley but for John Rothery's, who bought the name. The quality was not of the "old" Wasp standard.

John