Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hy-Score pellet tin ??

Ah, now that could be another mistake on my part. I thought from the price label showing the dealer as in Grantown-on-Spey that those were the older of the Wasp pellets I have, since I was in NE Scotland from mid 1991 - 1994.

I also have some in tins that bear the same design as on that label but where the whole lid is painted red rather than having a paper label stuck on. Those Tins are wider but flatter than the one shown. The tins of 500 .22s (5.6mm) I have are also painted fully on the lid but are blue. Are those older than the one in the photographs or is that yet another design?

All the tins I have, including those with the paper label like the one in the pics, do bear the Eley name though as well as Wasp.

I don't have much of a selection of pellets these days. I don't know if any of the others have any history of interest to anyone. I buy a couple of tins to try if I buy a new gun but it has been quite a while since I've done that, so I tend to stick with what I've got and what I know e.g. I bought 10,000 of each .177 and .22 Eley Wasps for use in my BSA rifles and various pistols and those work for me so why mess about? The others don't get used much.

Last edited by DavidC; 06-05-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Ah, now that could be another mistake on my part. I thought from the price label showing the dealer as in Grantown-on-Spey that those were the older of the Wasp pellets I have, since I was in NE Scotland from mid 1991 - 1994.

I also have some in tins that bear the same design as on that label but where the whole lid is painted red rather than having a paper label stuck on. Those Tins are wider but flatter than the one shown. The tins of 500 .22s (5.6mm) I have are also painted fully on the lid but are blue. Are those older than the one in the photographs or is that yet another design?

All the tins I have, including those with the paper label like the one in the pics, do bear the Eley name though as well as Wasp.

I don't have much of a selection of pellets these days. I don't know if any of the others have any history of interest to anyone. I buy a couple of tins to try if I buy a new gun but it has been quite a while since I've done that, so I tend to stick with what I've got and what I know e.g. I bought 10,000 of each .177 and .22 Eley Wasps for use in my BSA rifles and various pistols and those work for me so why mess about? The others don't get used much.

Hi David,
    One way of telling original Eley made Wasps from Rothery's version is the smell - I kid you not! The old Wasps smell of solid engineering, while the newer versions don't have a smell at all. You'll probably find visual inconsistencies with the newer pellets too, while the old style all look and shoot the same. The late John Rothery once told me that he used the Eley name on his Wasps for as long as he could, which is why Eley continued to be printed on the tins long after they stopped making them.

This is turning into a real anorak thread, so I think I'll turn in for the night.

John

i lost the plot ages ago.....

but here's a chap Stateside selling Hy-Score pellets

http://www./sch/ammoman/m.html?hash=...id=p4340.l2562

postage to UK about US$8

HTH...john
    Last edited by Yardbent; 09-05-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    Air Arms TX200HC .177, Hawke AIRMAX 3-9x40 AO
    Air Arms S400F carbine .177, Hawke AIRMAX 4-12x40 AO

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    .....snip
    I also have some in tins that bear the same design as on that label but where the whole lid is painted red rather than having a paper label stuck on.....snip
    i have 8 tins of these NOS - never opened - still with the cellotape

opened 1 tin to check originality - going to shoot a few in my Junior

cannot load attachments...!!
    Air Arms TX200HC .177, Hawke AIRMAX 3-9x40 AO
    Air Arms S400F carbine .177, Hawke AIRMAX 4-12x40 AO

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Blimey Trevor...reopening 5 year old threads - nothing newer of any interest

Nothing wrong with a bit of new info on old subjects, my wife would probably love to get some new info about me that she could use

I still have my UK Hy-Score and some of the correspondence I exchanged with them during its development, I had them out while doing some sorting the other day. Good old memories

Hy-score Pellets

Hi,

As this thread has been reprised I thought I would mention that I posted a thread a few weeks ago as I have some spare tins of American Hy-score pellets which are for sale if anyone is interested. Details here:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-in-177-amp-22

They set off the pistols a treat. I picked up a boxed .22 version earlier this year which really is good fun to shoot. Indeed, I like it so much that I'm now on the quest for on of the snub nosed (changeable barrel ones) - Were they called the 'Sportster'?

Anyway, when I got the .22. pistol I wanted to try and track some original pellets down. I managed to get some but could only buy them as a job lot - Hence these spare tins.

All the best

Olly