Thread: open sight question

open sight question

I've just bought a Beeman 2004E but find the front sight a bit too wide. I've never heard of anyone doing this before but would it work if I offset the rear sight and used the side of the blade instead of the middle? I was also thinking it could be marked for different distances if I did this or would it be better to just put a red dot on it?
    You can probably tell I haven't got a clie when it comes to pistol shooting but farcied a new plinking toy for fun.

Why not just file the front sight to suit? If you make a pigs ear of it you can always put a red dot on.

That was my first thought but I didn't want to sound like a butcher.
    Is that a common way around it?

If you intend keeping it get it to suit you,bit at a time.

Hi Paul

When I took up pistols, I found parts of this document really useful http://www.saveourguns.com/Ar_Marks_...rain_Guide.pdf (I certainly wouldn't suggest reading it all when all you're after is some fun with plinking!) but section two is all about sight alignment and sight pictures. It may be that if you read this, you find you can work with the sights you have got.

If not, putting some tiny white/coloured dots on the front sight and either side of the rear sight - either with sight paint from, eg, midwayuk http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproduc...eItemID=168586 (a Midlands based firm) or something like nitesiters/daysites from http://www.nitesiters.com/Nitesiters...ht_Sights.html (unfortunatley only available from the US as far as I know) could do the trick.

Someone at my club recently put three tiny white dots on my open sights for me and it has made a big difference in getting the notch and post properly aligned.

Of course your other suggestion of putting a red dot on is entirely feasible and would be a lot less hassle!

ATB

Jon
    Last edited by JonRA; 09-04-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Front Sight

Just to be awkward I have painted the rear of my sight pillars pale green,

Half and half Humbrol white and dark green, this is visible against your rear sight and most target surfaces,
    if you have no light coming from the rear you get black on black, no damage done to the gun so can be sold on, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by paul1969 View Post
    That was my first thought but I didn't want to sound like a butcher.
    Is that a common way around it?
    Or open up rear sight with a file!!! OR, experiment with dots of liquid tippex on front and rear, applied with cocktail stick. Also, checkout "1942nuclear" on YouTube. He will explain what seal repairs to do shortly!!! I have two, and know it came in handy. He calls them P17s.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Im a big fan of 'daysighters' available from the nightsighters website

http://www.nitesiters.com/Nitesiters...ht_Sights.html

They dont glow in the dark like the nightsightes but are very bright and easy to see

The ones Ive ordered have been delivered pretty quickly from the states

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    There's no substitute for enough daylight either side of the foresight to get a good sight picture, you shouldn't need dots but use them if you like them

- Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Hi Nick

I agree about the daylight comment - but there are times in some disciplines (eg HFT) when the background is the same colour as the notch and post (eg black) and/or lighting is poor so that judging the correct alignment of notch and post becomes very difficult (what I do in these circumstances is align the notch and post against the sky and then hope that they maintain an acceptable level of alignment when I move them over the target). Dots of some sort can make a real difference here - well at least I have found so. Shooting sub-six on a normal 10M target, I don't think the dots would help me at all/probably be a distraction.

ATB

Jon