Thread: New or used HW80?

New or used HW80?

I'm struggling to find a good used HW80 so am thinking of buying new.

Any views on whether older versions are better than the new ones?

Also whether carbine or normal barrel versions are best?

.177s seen to be fewer than .22s!

jimcorbett

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    Ye get a new one, but I'd get it tuned by Sandwell Field sports if I were you. They do make a good rifle brilliant and very sweet to shoot imho. I think any HW is much better with a decent tune up. Get a nice Walnut stock from Custom Stocks in Sheffield as well and you have a rifle that will last you a life time. I have had my 80 since 1983 and will never ever sell it ever, in fact my sons reckon they'll put it in my pine box with me
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

The very early MK1s were of lower tolerance than current rifles, it's a fallacy that later guns aren't as good -

Sportsman Gun Centre do an 80 new from for £280 in K or full length open sights, about 30 quid more for screw threaded (KS) complete with the silencer. The HW silencer is OK on 80s, too light on 95s, which need a bit more weight on the end to balance up OK

Go for a K with open sights, maybe try 20 cal (extra approx 25 quid, special order)

Sportsman are not liked by all as they import from AKA not Hull Cartridge, other dealers won't be able to match on prices

So, support your local shop, who should give top notch service, or buy cheap - up to you. Incidentally, SGC give good service too, but you will likely have a long drive or a hefty local dealer transfer fee plus carriage if doing it that way -
    Last edited by PCPShooter; 09-04-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: added info

Although the new 80s will probably benefit from the cocking shoe being 'retrograded' come to think of it, so you may have to spend a bit extra out on some custom work afterwards !