Thread: Best scope for HFT

Best scope for HFT

Would like to try an HFT shoot, I would like to know what is the best scope for HFT & target shooting at the local club, there that many to choose from, I do like the hawke range, the sidewinders and tacticals but are they not overkill.. Budget around £300...

TIA

There is a huge range of scopes out there and, whilst the Hawke range is excellent value, the Sidewinder tactical jobs are heavy and may unbalance a lightweight rifle. Also, the side parallax/illumination knob is large and can obstruct loading. I have a pair of EV Hawkes which offer the half-mildot reticle found in some of the Sidewinders but with a lot less weight, bulk and cost. Personally, I don't get on with complex reticles and am perfectly happy with 30-30 and target-dot types. I've sold all my Sidewinder scopes and am concentrating on compact models with small objectives such as the Leupold 3-9x33 EFR and Bushnell 3200 fixed 10 mag.
    Essex Air Ambulance saved my life on 20/08/2010 www.essexairambulance.uk.com

From what I can gather there are alot of HFT guys who will swear by the MTC Optics either the mamba or viper ranges seem to be very popular and they have a good reputation for quality and customer service at MTC
    linky here - http://www.mtcoptics.co.uk/

hope this helps

Regards

Dr

a set 10 mag'd scope is normally about right for hft, such as the hawke tac 30 10x42 or the mtc viper 10x44 or the bushnell set 10's. they're not overkill at all and are the right tool for the job.

some shoot on 7 or 8 mag, but i find 10 mag just right. fortunatley i still have good eyes so i can see the close targets as well as the further targets. some go for less mag to try and make the nearer shots easier to see.

a mil dot scope is very handy for hft as the dots make good aiming marks for different ranges. my tac 30 has half mil dots and the viper has a xmas tree stlye ret. both come with a sidewheel, but in hft you cant touch your parallax once you start shooting. i set mine at just under 25 yards and take the sidewheel off so it cant be turned accidently.

its best to try and have a go with or at least look through as many different types as you can, as some scopes dont seem to suit one person whilst bieng perfect for the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    am concentrating on compact models with small objectives such as the Leupold 3-9x33 EFR and Bushnell 3200 fixed 10 mag.
    Second that

I use an EB sniper 10x42, very good glass and robust scope
    you can get them second hand for about £180-£210

Alex

You cant really go by what anyone else uses, make up your own mind.

As an example I dont like shooting at 10x mag and will miss like a bugger if the scope has blur at range, while others actually look for these qualities to aid range finding.
    My fav scopes are 6x32 and I dont like mil dots

Gotta find what you want So why not spend £50 on a simple 3-9x40 until you've worked it out?

mtc

viper 10x44 would be my recomendation :d

as previously said you have to try a few and see what feels right for you -

eb sniper is probably the most desired hft scope although i know a hadful who have now moved to the viper - either way happy hunting and hope you dont get any doughnuts ;d
    HW100 .177, GINB FT#7, Viper 10x44, Rowan Stripper / Milbro Huggett
    Rapid MK2 .177, Mamba Lite 3-12x44, Weihrauch Mod, Pulsar Challenger GS 1x20, N1000AP -
    http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/x..._173646-1.jpg/

I use a EB sniper 10x42 and my son use's a Tac 30 10x42 what I would say is get to a club and look through as many scopes as you can most people will let you have a look through there scopes it's what suits your eye no what other people say

Burris compact or short mag ( USA MADE ) ballistic plex 3 -9 x32. sliver or black. 1" tube.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjames View Post
    Burris compact or short mag ( USA MADE ) ballistic plex 3 -9 x32. sliver or black. 1" tube.
    Agreed 100% - after years of searching it is the one scope that I have kept on my hft gun.

Mine is the Sako Quad version - identical to the scopes you mention apart from the turrets.

Dave.