Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of working Tell Model 3?

Value of working Tell Model 3?

Can find little information regarding this pistol other than it is somewhat rare. It has recently come into my possesion and I am trying to attain it's value. It's in fair shape and the right handgrip is cracked but it's all there. It did not function properly at first so I took it apart and discovered the spring broken and had lost about 1 and 1/2 coils. I cleaned that out and it functioned just fine. It works now but I did not realize how old it was so no more shooting.

Last edited by hodgkins; 09-04-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: added pics

Blue book says $950 for 95% down to %190 for 20%.
    Approx 50 made 1936-1940

280 fps, rifled barrel.

Was referenced in Airgun World in 2003.

HTH

Charles

thank you for that info.

Tell 3

Quote Originally Posted by hodgkins View Post
    Can find little information regarding this pistol other than it is somewhat rare. It has recently come into my possesion and I am trying to attain it's value. It's in fair shape and the right handgrip is cracked but it's all there. It did not function properly at first so I took it apart and discovered the spring broken and had lost about 1 and 1/2 coils. I cleaned that out and it functioned just fine. It works now but I did not realize how old it was so no more shooting.

Here is a bit.
    http://www.cinedux.com/airgun-articles-t.php

yes that was the only other article I found. The other was from this site in the for sale section from 2009.

Tell 3

Hi as for value l paid £600 for mine but it is a parkerized finished on it which is very unusual. but it is in great condition , one went in the USA for $900 about 5years ago. if you take the rear sight blade off, the serial number will be stamped on the frame hope this helps.

wondered why I couldn't find that number! Thanks for the help. Steve

any importance to price with regards to serial #? Does anyone know what serial # was 1st? I don't think it is 1 because most have a 3 didgit # that I have read up on.

Hi Hodgekins,

Would that be Spokane, Washington, USA ?

Congratulations on having a rare pistol ! One of the holy Grails of Air Pistol Collecting.

I have always wanted one, but have now resigned myself to the fact that I will probably never get one.

Great Pistols !!

Lakey

Tell 3

Hi again, if you can get a copy of airpistols 3rd edition by dennis hillier there are 5 pages on the tell 3,which says there are 2 different trigger types. by the way the se/no on mine is number 4 what is yours, Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    Hi again, if you can get a copy of airpistols 3rd edition by dennis hillier there are 5 pages on the tell 3,which says there are 2 different trigger types. by the way the se/no on mine is number 4 what is yours, Mick.
    it has a 3 digit number. which number or numbers are the serial number? or is the entire 3 digit number the s/n? I guess I was thinking one of the numbers would refer to the year of manufacture like a lot of airguns but maybe not so on these.
    Last edited by hodgkins; 14-04-2012 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    didnt catch your user name til now. didn't realize it was your article !

Tell 3

Hi just read the artical in Hilliers, and the se/no of the pistol shown is number 59. if yours is 3 digits then they made at least that number which is good to know.it would good to know what the highest se/no is, perhaps others members could tell us theirs.

Mick.

I live just off the M27 outside Southampton.
    There was an article about Tell MK 3 in the Sporting Air Rifle magazines that I recently sold. Perhaps the buyer could look for you.
    Regards.

Tell 3

Hi,I have a good boxed example S/No 496.
    John Griffiths mentions in his Encyclopaedia of Spring Air Pistols numbers seen from 59 to 488.
    Chris.