Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MK4 BSA Meteor Refurb Project.

MK4 BSA Meteor Refurb Project.

I decided to hold on to my old MK4 Meteor and refurbish it. Never attempted anything like this before but hey theres a first time for everything.
    I removed the action from the stock and have now stripped the action, new spring, buffer washer and seal required. Its now ready to strip the old paint from the barrel and chamber and rub down the stock.
    Will keep you informed with progress

Will be watching with interest mate, good luck

I have a tatty one sat about i keep meaning to make a start on

I take it some kind of spring compressor is needed to remove it from the action safely?

Do bsa still sell parts for these? But plates, end caps etc i wonder?

Today i managed to finish removing the old paint from the Meteor action, then gave it a thorough wash with white spirit to remove any gunge and wire wool swarf left over from the stripping process. I then moved on to sanding the varnish from the stock. Should be able to start painting the action and re varnishing the stock over the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by lewgun View Post
    Will be watching with interest mate, good luck

I have a tatty one sat about i keep meaning to make a start on

I take it some kind of spring compressor is needed to remove it from the action safely?

Do bsa still sell parts for these? But plates, end caps etc i wonder?
    You shouldn't require a spring compressor unless someone has put something silly in it.........a stout screwdriver to take the pressure off the pin should do it, just wear gloves in case the spring still has a bit of life left in it..spares available but pricey from Knibbs or Chambers
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

consider trying a few different size O rings on the piston, BSA usually supplied the gun with a seal way to tight, sometimes if you go down a size and find one that is a slide fit the gun will be both more powerful and smoother to shoot

Thumbs up

Crumbs!!

The stock has come up lovely

I have a mk4 that needs some TLC!!!, I even have a customised stock for it (r/h one)

I'll have to commit some time to it one day

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Thanks John, It took me around 3 hours of sanding to remove all the old varnish and rub away the minor dings that were in it but to be fair the stock wasnt in too bad nick to begin with.

Made inquiries today about getting the action powder coated, although the guy said it could be done and had some knowledge regarding air rifles he was reluctant to do the work, cost quoted to get it done if i wanted to go ahead was £35+ vat. I suppose i will just go down the paint route.

Progress

Stock after 4 coats of varnish.

The action after its first coat of paint.

Im hoping that i will be able to complete the painting and varnishing over the next few days then i will be ready to re-assemble the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Stock after 4 coats of varnish.

The action after its first coat of paint.

Im hoping that i will be able to complete the painting and varnishing over the next few days then i will be ready to re-assemble the rifle.
    Looks fantastic!

Dan
    Gamo Shadow 1000 (.22)
    BSA Lightning XL Tactical (.22)
    BSA Meteor Mark 7 (.22)

Meteor Refurb

The steekwork comes up very nicely starting with very fine silicon carbide paper and then applying Halfords under coat and gloss from a spray can.
    The beauty of doing it yourself is that you can repeat the process if you are not satisfied with your first attempt, but dont rush it and give a gentle rub down between coats.A final polish with "Tcut" will give the right finish .
    Try it you will be plesently supprised with the result.
    Regards
    Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!

I must admit that when I saw the 'before' pictures my first thoughts were that I have a number of rifles in that condition which I would have considered 'useable' but original, but now after seeing these pictures I realise why Dave undertook this refurb - he knows he has the skills to bring rifles back to 'new' condition...superb!
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Its me thats doing this refurb This was my first attempt at a refurb but i guarantee it wont be the last. I have really enjoyed the challenge and was pleasantly surprised with the ease that it has progressed. Now on the lookout for another to do up

Its me thats doing this refurb This was my first attempt at a refurb but i guarantee it wont be the last. I have really enjoyed the challenge and was pleasantly surprised with the ease that it has progressed. Now on the lookout for another to do up
    Love to see these old guns brought back to life and TBH Better looking than when they were new
    Well done I say and long may this kind of enthusiasm continue

OOps - my apologies, I was so struck by that stock I lost the ability to read
    Winston Churchill 1930