Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Bloop' Tubes. Are they worth it?

'Bloop' Tubes. Are they worth it?

I've been noticing more and more people shooting with bloop tubes, to the point where I'm thinking of one for myself.

I understand the general theory behind them, but in the real world, does it make a difference?

What are peoples thoughts and opinions on these? Also any recommendations on a good one to get for an Anschutz 1813?

I have shot with a tube for around 4-5 years. They are meant to help with eyesight problems, which I don't have, the reason I started using one was to increase the sight radius.
    In theory this should make the group smaller, thats a theory mind.
    You should really move up to a 22mm foresight and be prepared to do some serious grouping tests to find your best foresight diameter.
    Clean them before every shoot, if you try to clean them straight after they are a dirty pain in the arse thing to clean. Prior to a shoot the crud has dried and easier to remove. But you must clean the tube AND THE BARREL CROWN.....Everytime
    Ideally you would try one out, Barry Neesom lent me one for a few weeks before I jumped in. 1813 barrels are the same diameter rifle to rifle so if you have a club member willing to dismantle everything for you to try then have a go.
    If you go down the Neesom tube route I would ask to have the thing located off of the dovetail block screw, a very handy, accurate, 6mm diameter.
    Give me a shout if you want a picture of what exactly I mean.

Bing!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Did you notice any difference to your results pre to post?
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

You certainley know when you get it wrong! Any inner position problems will be magnified, so it did help in that sense. Get your inner position right is shooting 101 but if you get lazy it will let you know. Any pulse will give you a fright and stand you back up to start again...
    Groups on a whole did become slightly tighter but I'm not going to say it was 100% because of the tube, I think it helped. I had a very good season that year and it may well have been my shooting coming into a period of ascendancy, coinciding with the tube trial (or because of the tube??). I still shoot with it and doubt I will go back to non tubed barrel for the foreseable future. I had a wee stubby tube made for standing but kept the full 12" tube for kneeling, you have to get your position spot on when kneeling with a tube, so again it helped with positioning which helped get better groups which gave me better scores.

I'm waffling.
    Did the sight radius gained from the tube help? Yes.
    Was that because of the sight radius or because of the magnified error effect making me "GET IT RIGHT"? Hmmmm.

It worked for me.

Bing!

PS. Let me know if that rambling response was of any help at all.

There a very personal thing, but if your shooting well now then don't change, and if your not shooting well then ask a coach to watch you shooting for a bit, if your still not satisfied then maybe it is time to look at the equipment, but you should always rule everything else out first before you even start to blame the kit. Another thing with adding things like bloop tubes are there physocological implications on the shooter, I once informed one of my shooters that the reason for them not shooting well is that there mat wasn't right, I then told him to stand up and I put a single piece of newspaper under the mat and told him that would be better, and then put every shot through the bull! He just needed that mental boost! It's up to you, but rule everything else out first.

Just my opinion : I agree with the previous poster, there isn't a "Magic Wand" out there that will improve your shooting. Technique and consistency is all important, get the basics sorted out by someone who knows what they are talking about, and give any recommendation that they suggest a good try out over a period of weeks. If you've still got problems speak to them and go through the same process again. Don't ask someone else, until you've given the first advisor a good try out as otherwise you'll be chasing your own tail. Regarding Bloop Tubes in particular, try one (preferably by borrowing it so that the exercise is zero cost) and be prepared to spend some time getting the set up optimised. Then make you own mind up. I've done this and had good scores both ways. In my opinion, if you're as good as you're going to get anyway, they'll take something away from your scores, if you're at a point where that particular aspect of the mechanics of your shooting could be improved, they'll add something to your scores, it's a very personal equation.

HTH, Vic Thompson.

Personally I like bloop tubes. I've had one of Barry Nesom's since 2005. I agree that a tube will magnify errors in your hold, but if your hold is good a tube can reduce aiming errors. Tubes can affect the balance of the rifle. I have both 6in and 12in tubes. The 6in tube balances beautifully, the 12in did not. Even after being cut down to 8in it doesn't balance well.

A word of caution about borrowing a friend's tube, not all 1813 barrels are exactly the same diameter. Other tubes may vary more, but Barry bores the collar to be a very tight fit to the measurements given. If you buy a tube I'd recommend taking measurements in several different places.

Also make sure that you have a big enough foresight element. A rough rule of thumb is to increase the aprture by .1mm per inch of tube.

Thanks for all the help/assistance/opinions. It's exactly what I was after, it's great to hear peoples thoughts on these.

As for trying one from someone in my club, no one in my club has a tube so that would be quite hard unfortunately.

@Bing! A picture of the setup you have would be brilliant. How would I speak to Barry Neesom about the tubes he produces?

Thanks.

Centre 10

C10,

Barry's number is 01751 473124.

He makes two part tubes. There is a split collar that clamps onto the muzzle; the front half overhangs the muzzle to hold the tube. For an 1813 Barry supplies a brass pin that screws into the foresight block holes. Ahis engages in a slot in the collar to ensure the tube is vertical (or at least the same angle as the factory foresight). The tube itself has a small locator pin that engages with the front of the clamp. Barry will cut what ever dovetail you like on the clamp.

The tube can be removed for cleaning and replaced with no loss of zero. I use a strip of j-cloth on a 12 bore brush to clean mine, very quick and easy.

That's brilliant, thanks for that Tim.

That sounds exactly what I'm after. I guess you run the 6 inch tube on your's? Would you say that it's a good length of tube as I've seen different lengths available?

Have you got a picture of yours? It'd be great to see one.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn as much about them as I can before I commit.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tim s View Post
    C10,

Barry's number is 01751 473124.

He makes two part tubes. There is a split collar that clamps onto the muzzle; the front half overhangs the muzzle to hold the tube. For an 1813 Barry supplies a brass pin that screws into the foresight block holes. Ahis engages in a slot in the collar to ensure the tube is vertical (or at least the same angle as the factory foresight). The tube itself has a small locator pin that engages with the front of the clamp. Barry will cut what ever dovetail you like on the clamp.

The tube can be removed for cleaning and replaced with no loss of zero. I use a strip of j-cloth on a 12 bore brush to clean mine, very quick and easy.

I do indeed run a 6in tube. I have an 8in, but just didn't get on with it.

I have a photo somewhere, but no close ups.

If you want to see the tube in person, I'll be at the Plymouth & District match at Budleigh Farm on Sunday.

Tim

Centre 10,

PM me your email and I will send over some pics of my tube. The modifications I had Barry do will negate the need for the brass pin and 2 part tube setup. The end result is essentially a single tube with a very positive location method.

Bing!

Thanks guys, very interesting, as "old" shooters we have always concentrated on ballance rather than barrel or now with tubes, sight base.
    Thirty years ago the late Malcolm Cooper shortened the barrel on my wifes Valmet Finnish Lion free rifle by about at least 6 inches because she was complaining it was muzzle heavy when shot standing, it then ballanced beautifully and she also shot consistant 590+ prone with it after that! It was known by those around us in those days as "Pams Pistol"!
    30 years on she has a new KK300, shoots the same scores, and is considering a tube as the shooting optician Stephen Hing has suggested she would get a sharper picture with her new "de cataracted" eyes with the foresight further out.
    I'm just a bit nervious of the fitting and getting it consistant as it would need to come off after every shoot for cleaning and storage.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Robin,

I've had no issues with a wandering zero in six years that I could attribute to the tube. Tube comes off for storage/cleaning, collar stays on. Tube goes back on in thee same place.

RE your wife's Valmet, lopping 6in off the Free rifle barrel would still give 23in of barrel, almost as Wuch as her Walther. Was she shooting it in UIT competition? I'd though that Standard rifles were mandatory for women until '97.

Quote Originally Posted by tim s View Post
    Robin,

I've had no issues with a wandering zero in six years that I could attribute to the tube. Tube comes off for storage/cleaning, collar stays on. Tube goes back on in thee same place.

RE your wife's Valmet, lopping 6in off the Free rifle barrel would still give 23in of barrel, almost as Wuch as her Walther. Was she shooting it in UIT competition? I'd though that Standard rifles were mandatory for women until '97.
    Thanks Tim
    Thats reassuring, perhaps we should try it. The Valmet looked much shorter than that, but perhaps time clouds memory, I do have a picture but I can't upload onto here. It was actualy a standard action as it was initialy in the standard stock which she used for ladies standard class, but we had a free rifle stock as well which she used when ever she could such as domesticaly and some open ones abroad.
    Can you e me some pics of the system you use? its robin.carter80@ntlworld.com
    Thanks
    Robin