Thread: 'Bloop' Tubes. Are they worth it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Personally I like bloop tubes. I've had one of Barry Nesom's since 2005. I agree that a tube will magnify errors in your hold, but if your hold is good a tube can reduce aiming errors. Tubes can affect the balance of the rifle. I have both 6in and 12in tubes. The 6in tube balances beautifully, the 12in did not. Even after being cut down to 8in it doesn't balance well.

A word of caution about borrowing a friend's tube, not all 1813 barrels are exactly the same diameter. Other tubes may vary more, but Barry bores the collar to be a very tight fit to the measurements given. If you buy a tube I'd recommend taking measurements in several different places.

Also make sure that you have a big enough foresight element. A rough rule of thumb is to increase the aprture by .1mm per inch of tube.

Thanks for all the help/assistance/opinions. It's exactly what I was after, it's great to hear peoples thoughts on these.

As for trying one from someone in my club, no one in my club has a tube so that would be quite hard unfortunately.

@Bing! A picture of the setup you have would be brilliant. How would I speak to Barry Neesom about the tubes he produces?

Thanks.

Centre 10

C10,

Barry's number is 01751 473124.

He makes two part tubes. There is a split collar that clamps onto the muzzle; the front half overhangs the muzzle to hold the tube. For an 1813 Barry supplies a brass pin that screws into the foresight block holes. Ahis engages in a slot in the collar to ensure the tube is vertical (or at least the same angle as the factory foresight). The tube itself has a small locator pin that engages with the front of the clamp. Barry will cut what ever dovetail you like on the clamp.

The tube can be removed for cleaning and replaced with no loss of zero. I use a strip of j-cloth on a 12 bore brush to clean mine, very quick and easy.

That's brilliant, thanks for that Tim.

That sounds exactly what I'm after. I guess you run the 6 inch tube on your's? Would you say that it's a good length of tube as I've seen different lengths available?

Have you got a picture of yours? It'd be great to see one.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn as much about them as I can before I commit.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tim s View Post
    C10,

Barry's number is 01751 473124.

He makes two part tubes. There is a split collar that clamps onto the muzzle; the front half overhangs the muzzle to hold the tube. For an 1813 Barry supplies a brass pin that screws into the foresight block holes. Ahis engages in a slot in the collar to ensure the tube is vertical (or at least the same angle as the factory foresight). The tube itself has a small locator pin that engages with the front of the clamp. Barry will cut what ever dovetail you like on the clamp.

The tube can be removed for cleaning and replaced with no loss of zero. I use a strip of j-cloth on a 12 bore brush to clean mine, very quick and easy.

I do indeed run a 6in tube. I have an 8in, but just didn't get on with it.

I have a photo somewhere, but no close ups.

If you want to see the tube in person, I'll be at the Plymouth & District match at Budleigh Farm on Sunday.

Tim

Centre 10,

PM me your email and I will send over some pics of my tube. The modifications I had Barry do will negate the need for the brass pin and 2 part tube setup. The end result is essentially a single tube with a very positive location method.

Bing!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Thanks guys, very interesting, as "old" shooters we have always concentrated on ballance rather than barrel or now with tubes, sight base.
    Thirty years ago the late Malcolm Cooper shortened the barrel on my wifes Valmet Finnish Lion free rifle by about at least 6 inches because she was complaining it was muzzle heavy when shot standing, it then ballanced beautifully and she also shot consistant 590+ prone with it after that! It was known by those around us in those days as "Pams Pistol"!
    30 years on she has a new KK300, shoots the same scores, and is considering a tube as the shooting optician Stephen Hing has suggested she would get a sharper picture with her new "de cataracted" eyes with the foresight further out.
    I'm just a bit nervious of the fitting and getting it consistant as it would need to come off after every shoot for cleaning and storage.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?