Thread: 'Bloop' Tubes. Are they worth it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

'Bloop' Tubes. Are they worth it?

I've been noticing more and more people shooting with bloop tubes, to the point where I'm thinking of one for myself.

I understand the general theory behind them, but in the real world, does it make a difference?

What are peoples thoughts and opinions on these? Also any recommendations on a good one to get for an Anschutz 1813?

I have shot with a tube for around 4-5 years. They are meant to help with eyesight problems, which I don't have, the reason I started using one was to increase the sight radius.
    In theory this should make the group smaller, thats a theory mind.
    You should really move up to a 22mm foresight and be prepared to do some serious grouping tests to find your best foresight diameter.
    Clean them before every shoot, if you try to clean them straight after they are a dirty pain in the arse thing to clean. Prior to a shoot the crud has dried and easier to remove. But you must clean the tube AND THE BARREL CROWN.....Everytime
    Ideally you would try one out, Barry Neesom lent me one for a few weeks before I jumped in. 1813 barrels are the same diameter rifle to rifle so if you have a club member willing to dismantle everything for you to try then have a go.
    If you go down the Neesom tube route I would ask to have the thing located off of the dovetail block screw, a very handy, accurate, 6mm diameter.
    Give me a shout if you want a picture of what exactly I mean.

Bing!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Did you notice any difference to your results pre to post?
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

You certainley know when you get it wrong! Any inner position problems will be magnified, so it did help in that sense. Get your inner position right is shooting 101 but if you get lazy it will let you know. Any pulse will give you a fright and stand you back up to start again...
    Groups on a whole did become slightly tighter but I'm not going to say it was 100% because of the tube, I think it helped. I had a very good season that year and it may well have been my shooting coming into a period of ascendancy, coinciding with the tube trial (or because of the tube??). I still shoot with it and doubt I will go back to non tubed barrel for the foreseable future. I had a wee stubby tube made for standing but kept the full 12" tube for kneeling, you have to get your position spot on when kneeling with a tube, so again it helped with positioning which helped get better groups which gave me better scores.

I'm waffling.
    Did the sight radius gained from the tube help? Yes.
    Was that because of the sight radius or because of the magnified error effect making me "GET IT RIGHT"? Hmmmm.

It worked for me.

Bing!

PS. Let me know if that rambling response was of any help at all.

There a very personal thing, but if your shooting well now then don't change, and if your not shooting well then ask a coach to watch you shooting for a bit, if your still not satisfied then maybe it is time to look at the equipment, but you should always rule everything else out first before you even start to blame the kit. Another thing with adding things like bloop tubes are there physocological implications on the shooter, I once informed one of my shooters that the reason for them not shooting well is that there mat wasn't right, I then told him to stand up and I put a single piece of newspaper under the mat and told him that would be better, and then put every shot through the bull! He just needed that mental boost! It's up to you, but rule everything else out first.

Just my opinion : I agree with the previous poster, there isn't a "Magic Wand" out there that will improve your shooting. Technique and consistency is all important, get the basics sorted out by someone who knows what they are talking about, and give any recommendation that they suggest a good try out over a period of weeks. If you've still got problems speak to them and go through the same process again. Don't ask someone else, until you've given the first advisor a good try out as otherwise you'll be chasing your own tail. Regarding Bloop Tubes in particular, try one (preferably by borrowing it so that the exercise is zero cost) and be prepared to spend some time getting the set up optimised. Then make you own mind up. I've done this and had good scores both ways. In my opinion, if you're as good as you're going to get anyway, they'll take something away from your scores, if you're at a point where that particular aspect of the mechanics of your shooting could be improved, they'll add something to your scores, it's a very personal equation.

HTH, Vic Thompson.