Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .177 MFR 19ft/lbs -or- .177 RAPID 23ft/lbs

nicholas Guest

.177 MFR 19ft/lbs -or- .177 RAPID 23ft/lbs

About to put an order through.
    Your thought would be highly appreciated.

IMHO. get the MKll Rapid and get it from Ben Taylor
    After all that is said and done - More is said, than done!

When you get to them power levels with a .177, the power is solely dependent on the weight of the pellet you cannot get 23ftlb even with a 10 grain pellet, it has to be something like a Daysung heavy which is about 14 grains. So The choice is down to which gun you prefer..both are great guns.

jim
    Last edited by boltaction; 15-03-2005 at 05:58 PM.
    ex blue job

Although I am quite a fan of the Rapids in any form the MFR handles exceptionally well, an excellent choice in FAC too

baz

Try them, if you can. You'll probably do better with the one you "like" best.

I bought an FAC .177 Mk2 Rapid from a bbs member about 3 years ago. It was producing 23fp very accurately with 10.5 Premiers for him and me.

I think Stillair's was slightly higher in power.

Approx 68 shots (4 mags) per bottle fill then a pull through before setting off again

I've held an MFR but not fired one so I can't tell you anything there.

HTH, Regards, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by boltaction
    When you get to them power levels with a .177, the power is solely dependent on the weight of the pellet you cannot get 23ftlb even with a 10 grain pellet, it has to be something like a Daysung heavy which is about 14 grains. So The choice is down to which gun you prefer..both are great guns.

jim
    Not so me old fruit. Mine was averaging 1030fps with 10.5 prems. Each rifle is going to be slightly different depending on manufacturing tolerances, but mine is straight from the factory set up by Young Jefferson, free flow adaptor, not regged, Anshutz trigger.
    Dae sungs are 16grain for the round nose and gave 875fps on mine.Pointy Dae sungs were 17.6GN but as much use as a chocolate teapot.
    Anyway back on track, get the 23ftlb one, even better if it shoots straight at 24.5ftlb.
    19ftlb and you'll be in no mans land, probably too fast for 8.45gn pellets and too slow to drive the 10gn heavies at their best.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by stillair1
    Not so me old fruit. Mine was averaging 1030fps with 10.5 prems. Each rifle is going to be slightly different depending on manufacturing tolerances, but mine is straight from the factory set up by Young Jefferson, free flow adaptor, not regged, Anshutz trigger.
    Dae sungs are 16grain for the round nose and gave 875fps on mine.Pointy Dae sungs were 17.6GN but as much use as a chocolate teapot.
    Anyway back on track, get the 23ftlb one, even better if it shoots straight at 24.5ftlb.
    19ftlb and you'll be in no mans land, probably too fast for 8.45gn pellets and too slow to drive the 10gn heavies at their best.
    Ok stand corrected, but I could not get anymore than 21 ftlbs out of my Fac rated Titan .177. I know that Theoben do a 30 ftlbs version of the Rapid but that was using Dae sungs which you have correctly said are 17.6gn . but you must remember my brain cells are not what they used to be ........if they were ever before....but I think he will get the gest of what I ment.....thks

jim
    ex blue job

Gary C Guest
    Get a .22 in 28ft/lbs

Either rifle. As flat and much harder hitting

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    Get a .22 in 28ft/lbs

Either rifle. As flat and much harder hitting
    Providing it shoots JSB's accurately.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Yeah, JSBs at anything approaching 900 fps are great - about the same trajectory as a .177 at 50-70 fps faster, and MUCH more energy/damage/wind resistance. Similar shot count too.....

My Rapid with 18" non-Theo barrel shoots 'em perfecty up to about 880, 890 a few flyers start creeping in - so I have it set at about 875-880, 27 FP, job done

HTH - JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by stillair1
    I have the same as what he said, innit!

nicholas Guest
    Many thanks to those who already wrote.

Two clarifications:

1) i am addressing to you because i don't have the chance to try them to see what i like most.

2) i already own a .22 running at 28ft/lbs (break barrel) from the same manufacturer...

I was thinking of a .177 as i've never had one.

30FPE Mk3 Sports alternative

Theoben has deservedly earned a good reputation for FAC multishot guns, however I am suggesting a new alternative since .22 has been mentioned.

The larger caliber is more efficient at these powers and gives the major advantage of more shots at a higher comparable power.

I believe that the new Mk3 sports with lean charge technology is a worthy contender in this arena, it has a flat power curve without the use of a regulator and produces typically 45 shots from a 168cc cylinder.

Accuracy at these power levels are anything if not better than 12FPE shots using Daystate pellets, with all the advantages of a flatter trajectory. The lock time is incredibly fast with the impression that the target has fallen before finishing the trigger pull.

The muzzle velocity will not be noticebly slower that .177 at these power levels with a sweeter firing cycle and less muzzle blast.

David

nicholas Guest
    Thank you David.

If there was not choice BUT a .177 Theoben, which one of the two would you go for and why?

It seems from my 'rule of thumb' calculations that a .177 running at 19ft/lbs would be equivalent to a .22 running at 40ft/lbs.

Nick

As I've said in other threads, I wouldn't dismiss any FAC rifle on calibre alone.

They've all got something to offer.

I have no technical/practical skill but I do admire those innovators who can push the envelope...then push it again

Regards, Ed