Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Scorpion Pistol Trigger

BSA Scorpion Pistol Trigger

Following on from a recent thread, here are some pictures of the trigger components in situ:

As my sig site is no longer available, I've now posted the photographs on this old thread.

'T' prefix indicates top view, & 'U' indicates underside view.
    The trigger in all pictures is to the left.

Last edited by Troubledshooter; 17-11-2019 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Photographs added

Thanks, I'm sure they'll come in useful! I've serviced a few Scorpions but never stripped a trigger.

Cheers!

great post thanks
    I believe patriotism comes from the heart. Patriotism is voluntary. It is a feeling of loyalty and allegiance that is the result of knowledge and belief.

Thumbs up

Hi

I bought a BSA Buccaneer which i'm sure everyone knows uses the same trigger unit (Oversized pistol?!) The rearsight and safety came in a small bag having been removed..

The mounting screws were two different lengths and I fitted them the wrong way round, Took one shot down the garden, It wouldn't cock for the second shot so I removed the action from the stock and a bit of blued steel fell out! I identifired it as the long hammer, Due to the safety having too long of a screw fitted, The long hammer must have hit it and snapped it off

The old trigger unit went in the bin so I wasn't tempted to take it to bits and try to repair/rebuild it (Didn't want a coronary!!)

I watched Fleabay for a few weeks bidding on whole trigger units from Scorpion pistols but they were going for between £40/£50, I only paid £50 for the whole gun!!

Anyhow, I was lucky in that I won one for a mere £20, Fitted it, Job's a good un!!

BTW, There's no way I would disassemble the trigger parts due to arthritic fingers!!

EDITED TO ADD PICS

John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 17-11-2019 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Added pics
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

As John says above, nobody through choice would disassemble the Scorpion trigger unit, but I have had to on several occasions due to broken 'Hammers' which is why I decided to photograph the assembled unit, to try and give some idea of the correct positioning of the relevant parts, as I too can remember the nightmare experienced the first time I had to replace a broken 'Hammer', apart from the difficulty in obtaining this part.
    I remember at the time buying the last of Dennis Hiller's stock along with the few left at Manchester Airguns, and I still have a few left along with other Scorpion spares.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Scorpion triggers are another of the jobs I don't like to do on airguns. I'm a bit rusty now but got pretty good with them after the 1st one I bought would not work.I stripped it a fair few times. I worked out eventually that the hammer must be bent and I heated it up and straightened it and tempered it. It is still working years later. I have done about 8 of these triggers now and should have the sense to use a slave pin, instead of fiddling with pushing the pivot pin through a bit at a time and feeding the bits on with a small screwdriver. From memory, 4 things are on the same pin and I add a small shim on the outside of the spring as well to make it more positive.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Ah, memories!! Using a slave pin to get things in position is almost vital. Whoever designed this trigger should be put at an assembly bench with boxes of trigger parts but with one of them slightly wrong so that they never get it right. That would teach them .....
    If I remember, I did post my experiences of trigger reassembly maybe two years ago. I am in no hurry to repeat the assembly process .....
    Cheers, Phil

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Thanks for these very timely pictures! I have just been given a Scorpion with an "is it worth fixing?" plea. It would not cock, which turned out to be a crumbled buffer washer but the piston head retaining clip seems to be missing as well. Rearsight is also missing some vital bits - i.e., verything bar the base mount and the adjuster wheel.

I took the trigger assembly off with some trepidation. These pics will help sort out the re-assembly.

Anyone got a spare Scorpion rearsight assembly they could part with?

Jerry

You can see why my first attempt at a Scorpion trigger strip & polish ended up as a collection of components in a carrier bag for a couple of years, no internet references back then. I borrowed one & used it as a model for my rebuild which cracked it. I would be a lot more relaxed about it now, mainly because I've got all the proper tools nowadays, & I wouldn't be taking the thing apart in the first place.

If the piston head securing split ring is missing or broken, I think it was Garvin who tipped me off, you can use a Starlock type of washer to secure it instead. http://www.fixingsupplies.co.uk/10mm...ck-washer.html

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    You can see why my first attempt at a Scorpion trigger strip & polish ended up as a collection of components in a carrier bag for a couple of years, no internet references back then. I borrowed one & used it as a model for my rebuild which cracked it. I would be a lot more relaxed about it now, mainly because I've got all the proper tools nowadays, & I wouldn't be taking the thing apart in the first place.

If the piston head securing split ring is missing or broken, I think it was Garvin who tipped me off, you can use a Starlock type of washer to secure it instead. http://www.fixingsupplies.co.uk/10mm...ck-washer.html
    ...... and Chambers charge 3.31each + P&P for them! Thanks for that tip.

Jerry

You can also use an external circlip if you can find one the right size, but I can't remember what size is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    As John says above, nobody through choice would disassemble the Scorpion trigger unit, but I have had to on several occasions due to broken 'Hammers' which is why I decided to photograph the assembled unit, to try and give some idea of the correct positioning of the relevant parts, as I too can remember the nightmare experienced the first time I had to replace a broken 'Hammer', apart from the difficulty in obtaining this part.
    I remember at the time buying the last of Dennis Hiller's stock along with the few left at Manchester Airguns, and I still have a few left along with other Scorpion spares.
    Hi, Thanks for the Pics, A year or so late for these rebuilds Haha,
    I made a couple of hammers a few years ago in stainless, I ( refused to pay £17 & post for one ) as I needed 2.
    Wished I had though !!!!

I think the pistols hark back to the springer period, A handful to shoot & well able to meet the 6 Fpe limit,
    I had one shooting just over 9 Fpe ( In a Buccaneer ).
    Not surprising really with that 28mm bore & A big spring, The .177 shot very well, Its also interesting that the pistons in
    the .177,s & .22 are different, They only need a piston mod , Allied to a weaker spring to attain the limit.
    I still have some spares for these, Sights, barrels, pistons & one modded head etc ,& one in Chrome I never got around to putting together,, but no hammers,

Its interesting that on asking for a valuation , It was suggested for these rebuilt specimens £35 ish each.
    Ged.

http://s101.photobucket.com/user/ged...2fdvk.jpg.html

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...&1457354614080
    Last edited by gedfinn 2; 07-03-2016 at 12:44 PM.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Well--I have been having some "fun" with my olde Scorpion.
    Here is some info/advice for if you are going to long stroke your Scorpion or Buccaneer. Now before someone says it is "", just think about it. If you can do it with your gun and get away with it, then fine, but I am telling you what has happened with mine.
    The gun did not want to cock/jammed. I checked that the cocking arm wasn't rubbing, the safety was indexed properly and the plastic guide for the long sear had not jammed. The mechanism seemed perfect off the gun and nothing jammed when I put it back onto the cylinder, minus the long sear, to prove it wasn't the cocking arm or the safety. I got it in my head that the long sear was engaging with the short sear as with the piston being further forward the cocking arm was moving it sooner and therefore throwing out the trigger timings. I was also wondering if the hammer and short sear were burred and the hammer was causing the short sear to move. I decided to stone the side faces of the hammer and short sear and I noticed a tiny crack in the short sear (result rather than cause of the problems?). Comparing both the long and short sears to newer items showed that nothing was unduly bent or worn other than that crack. I tried the pistol back together and the same thing was happening. I put the buffer washer back onto the piston and the problem is resolved (for now).
    I intend to use the gun as it is for now, but may at some point try the longer stroke again, but take something off the face of the long sear to try to avoid the jamming.
    It is up to you what you make of all this
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

This is interesting and most of what I read became Dutch....it seems very complex but I have 2 Scorpions that wont cock! Maybe things will become clearer on a third or fourth read....or maybe they are worth more as scrap metal!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    This is interesting and most of what I read became Dutch....it seems very complex but I have 2 Scorpions that wont cock! Maybe things will become clearer on a third or fourth read....or maybe they are worth more as scrap metal!
    Nah, they are good little (big) guns..

Sometimes the long trigger hammer thingy needs a lateral bend to line up properly..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.