Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Webley Tempest

New Webley Tempest

Hi Folks,

Anyone out there bought one of the new Tempests and what do you think to them?

Cheers,

Tone.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    One chap on here reckoned his was doing 500 fps which if right was bloody impressive...

Must admit I found it difficult to believe and i'd love to see what a second example achieved?

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    500 fps with what...?

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    500 fps with what...?
    presumably a .177 pellet

Edit : yep, I've checked and thankfully it wasn't a .22 Rabbit Magnum - exact details here : http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....93#post5100993
    Last edited by harvey_s; 13-04-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Cheers for the comments so far, chaps.
    Any feedback on quality / finish?
    Are these new ones made over here, or have they also been farmed out overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Cheers for the comments so far, chaps.
    Any feedback on quality / finish?
    Are these new ones made over here, or have they also been farmed out overseas?
    I believe that they are made in Turkey

I read a review somewhere that said they are well made

I think that the .22's are in short supply

The ones I've seen so far are inferior to the originals as regards external finish; they looked as if they'd had a quick blow over with matt black car paint.
    Essex Air Ambulance saved my life on 20/08/2010 www.essexairambulance.uk.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    The ones I've seen so far are inferior to the originals as regards external finish; they looked as if they'd had a quick blow over with matt black car paint.
    Still lots of original ones in really good condition about

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    ....From pictures I've seen posted on here and the one in my local gunshop window I thought they look pretty good actually.
    The grips are the most noticeable feature... on the original they're shiny black hard plastic and on the Turkish gun they look as though they have a satin sheen and I think they look better.
    The other most notable feature is that the originals nasty roll pins have been replaced with proper solid pins on the Turkish gun.
    The bluing on the Turkish gun is also a little matt rather like Crosmans (not that theres much blued metal on a Tempest!)
    As for the black paint/powdercoat I can't say the one in the window looked that bad although I admit I haven't held one in my hands...
    If the performance is as quoted I'd certainly think about getting one if they produced them as non-limited editions.

The presentation case retails at £65 ish - so a 'none collectable' ones in a plain box would perhaps be a £130 are thereabouts? Id give one a go for that I think

Here are some pictures of my original and centennial Tempests - the shinier one is the original.

http://s777.photobucket.com/albums/y...t=DSC01525.jpg

The new one is well made but it is not as well made as the original. The best way to describe it is a "sympathetic copy" - it means well but cannot quite match the quality of the predecessor.

To use? - that is a different matter as it is SO difficult to cock that after a few shots you've had enough. It is more powerful - mine Chronys at 4.7 ft lbs against the 3.8 of the original - but this seems to have been achieved by using a stronger spring hence the effort needed to cock the thing.

Is it worth the money? Depends what you want. It is certainly NOT an investment. I collect Webley pistols so wanted one to complete the set and I don't regret it for a minute. Every so often I'll take a few shots with it but soon get tired and switch to the original.

Of course - I may just be a wuss and if you get one you will plink away all day with no effort.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    mine Chronys at 4.7 ft lbs against the 3.8 of the original - but this seems to have been achieved by using a stronger spring hence the effort needed to cock the thing..
    Cripes thats HW45 territory..!

Interesting though, as it was always reputed that US Tempests were more powerful than UK models - something that has always been denied by others on here on the basis that a more powerful spring wouldn't fit in and one wasn't listed either.
    But from this it certainly seems possible at least.

Mmm, will probably put a few feelers out with local shops and see if any half decent Brummie ones appear.
    Just fancying a nice, compact basic springer with heritage. The only thing is I'd probably get it and not want to over-use it. I already own a HW45 and '40. I enjoy both. The '40 is very accurate. The '45's accurate, not as forgiving, but with BAGS of character. If I was minted, I'd probably just have a huge collection of '45s, but I just thought that the Tempest would be "less serious" feeling, more compat, but still with that lovely character, history and lovely firing cycle.

Its worth considering the MK1/Senior/Premier's that predate the Tempest. Even more compact and provided that they have been looked after lovely to shoot.

So hard to cock?? Did they put a stingray spring in it than or what??
    Tempests arent made for much power..
    Curious how long it'll last than if it has a heavier spring fitted..
    I have original Tempests by the way, .177 and .22
    ATB,
    yana