Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Webley Tempest

Perhaps I can shed some light for you.
    I have worked on 7 Tempests 2 of them owned by myself (Webley versions) and recently looked at the new Turkish version owned by a club member.
    First velocity.
    There is a lot of nonsense talked about the English version but the reality is somewhere in the middle.
    The original Webley specs of 420 fps (ill just discuss .177 because I dont believe in .22 pistols) was based on the same velocity figures for the all steel variants, with these figures first appearing in sales brochures 1967 and sticking with the same figure until the demise.
    However, the Webley Tempest would happily run in to around 450fps all day long. Its just a question of not over lubing (which always gums up a pistol) and keeping the springs free of heavy grease. I have added Bowkett style thrusters upto 5mm total thickness for 480fps and once tried a delrin guide rod for 12 fps more but didn't like the loss of weight. Springer pistols requiring all the weight they can get.
    Note.. There never was an American version mainspring because I had the conversation up at Tay drive with the works super years before the plant closed. End of discussion, its cobblers.
    They merely used light match pellets which can occasion to hit 470 fps if you hand select models from a batch of 100 or so for the testing and before the factory lube is burnt off. Beeman revised his original figures of 500 fps to 470 fps. Jeremy Boxhall ran figures of 451fps for one he tested.
    Add a Delrin thruster underneath the mainspring for an extra 15fps but don't go thicker than 5mm. I did manage to get a max of 8mm thickness in before experiencing spring bind but had another bind at 7mm. Thus I say 5mm as a safe max.
    The thruster should be 8.7mm inside diameter x 14mm O/D. 2 rings 2.5mm thick.

I prefer the new Tempest. The horrid gloss black is gone from the paint finish, including the gloss of the horrid plastic forend. Sure wish this had been cast in alloy but at least it looks more metalish in matt. It really is a very pleasing finish of the metal and matches the dull bluing well.
    Now heres the big change. The mainspring appears to be more round section instead of the flat section used by Webley for decades, Definitely seems to pack in more power. Tougher to cock and delivers 480 fps from the gun I tested. I very much doubt thrusters will fit though. So I would say this design will not exceed 500fps regardless. Simply that the Turkish version is set at the maximum of the machine.

Excellent information there, cheers matey.
    And many thanks for all who chipped in.....I've just looked in and saw this thread up to date.

When I managed to sneak another 35 past the Mrs last year, the shop also had a very nice, boxed Brummy Tempest.....I'd mentioned I'd maybe get one, one day....He went round the back and re-appeared with this little gem. "I'd love it, but I don't think I could afford it" I said, expecting it to be £100+. But I've had a fair few guns from him over the last three years and said I could have it for £60. I didn't hesitate!

Hardly used it, will have a plink again soon, but at least I have one!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I have added some photos showing some of the differences between the old and new tempest in the Collectables Sub-Forum. That thread includes some problems experienced with breech seals and a rather sloppy fitting barrel.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 02-12-2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Problem with seal/barrel added.

One more addition

After email with the company (translation was quaint to say the least) it appears they are producing their OWN mainsprings. Most of the other parts being cast from the purchased tooling after the break up of Webley.
    The mainspring packs in 10 % more material to the section but is the same length.
    Thus this fits with my opinion that the coils are less flat but more round and holding a bit more material.
    Conclusion.....spring power has increased slightly!
    Consistency also likely to have increased as the fits against the piston and guide being tighter due to the greater material in the mainspring.
    The action is reported to be tighter.
    I believe this is a potentially more accurate and powerful Tempest even more so than my own modified version.
    Why.....because my slip ring additions to English Tempests may well match the power of the Turkish Tempest Mainspring but is longer in length for their addition and more likely to bind the mainspring over slightly.

This Turkish Tempest has no hint of twang...hyper consistent and a genuine 480fps gun. I also think trigger control is marginally better.
    I also prefer the larger sight adjustment screws.
    Nobody at my club preferred the older Tempest gloss finish.

Nice one, Clarky.
    Cheers for the update.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!