Thread: BSA Cadet major

Question BSA Cadet major

Morning all,

Im after a little help.....

I followed the idiots strip down guide for my BSA Cadet Major that my Grandad gave me (http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-(pt-1)/page2) and have got everything back together.

I am now left with a small nail looking part....is this supposed to be in the trigger spring?

and secondly i cant get the piston to cock into the trigger mechanism...it seams to stop just short of locking in

Any Advice/help would be brilliant,

Cheers

Brad

Brad,
    A photo of the "small nail looking thing" , would be helpful.
    Pete.

Welcome to the forum. You might like to introduce yourself a bit

This might help you:

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...=24302&Search=

It could be DP141 or DP185 that you have "left over"?

Have you changed the mainspring at all?

Cheers
    Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

perfect...cheers......trigger spring guide pin.

Havent changed the main spring, just the piston washer has been replaced. Any ideas why it wouldnt cock properly now?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sailawaybrad View Post
    Morning all,

I followed the idiots strip down guide for my BSA Cadet Major that my Grandad gave me (http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-(pt-1)/page2) and have got everything back together.

I am now left with a small nail looking part....is this supposed to be in the trigger spring?

and secondly i cant get the piston to cock into the trigger mechanism...it seams to stop just short of locking in

Cheers

Brad
    Hi,Yes the "nail" is a spring guide and should be in the trigger spring.ATB

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by sailawaybrad View Post
    Morning all,

Cheers

Brad
    As others have said, the "nail thing" is a guide for the trigger spring. I suspect that maybe you have not got the trigger block lined up ,which is pretty critical on these, and therefore the trigger is at a slight angle to the piston rod. However, the way I would go about it to check everything out it to take the trigger block of again and take the mainspring out.You can try to cock the action to see if the gun is coilbound (if you have fitted a new mainspring) before you do this. If it is not coilbound and you take the block off remove the cocking arm and then slide the piston as far back as you can without the washer catching on the threads in the cylinder. Ideally the piston should come out but it can be tricky getting them back in once the piston washer has a bit of oil on it. Now hold the piston and push the trigger block onto it. If the gun trigger engages then you know it is ok and you need to look elsewhere. If it doesn,t then check you have put the trigger set up together properly. Assuming it does engage, screw the block back into the cylinder (still without the mainspring and cocking arm) and then try to cock the trigger by pushing on the piston with a screwdriver or rod. If it does not cock like this and the trigger is in line ok with the cocking slot then it could be the piston worn where the cocking arm pushes. Usually you can push the piston a little bit more with a screwdriver and the trigger should engage. If it does, then refit the cocking arm and try it again. If it does not cock now, then it is likely the piston is worn where the cocking arm pushes and will need building up by one of the nice welder chaps on here. It is unlikely that the cocking arm is bent as these are really heavy duty. Its a bit of a long winded way of going about it but it is methodical. Good luck
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"