Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 777 users opinions please

777 users opinions please

Would be very interested to hear what you guys think of 777 as opposed to black powder, particularly with the Ruger Old Army. Does it perform as well accuracy wise, less fouling, easier to clean etc ? Sorry if this has already been done to death but I can't find details in search. Thanks.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

777 powder

Hi i used it in my .50 cal its a lot easier to clean and it does ignite easy i have heard people say its hard to ignite but that is in pellet form, also its not too good for flintlocks hope this helps

Hey Robert
    - you enjoying the ROA ??

My replies below

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Would be very interested to hear what you guys think of 777 as opposed to black powder, particularly with the Ruger Old Army.
    Does it perform as well accuracy wise, YES
    less fouling, YES
    easier to clean etc ?YES
    Sorry if this has already been done to death but I can't find details in search. Thanks.
    ....but more expensive . and I like smoke anyway.. and cleaning a ROA 'aint complicated !!!

Roy

Hi Roy, Yep enjoying the Ruger, put on some aged Ivory Micarta pimp grips and a lighter hammer and trigger spring and it shoots very well with 19 grains of Swiss No.2. Makes a change to have some fun with a gun, unlike the comp stuff with the FWB etc. On a range the other day with the ROA the wind was pushing all the smoke straight back, made me eyes water and I came home looking like a coalman Someone suggested 777 so I thought I would get some info from shooters of the stuff. Is that what you used in it then ? Pyro definately not for me so considering the 777.
    Last edited by vbull; 13-04-2012 at 04:54 PM.

As a matter or interest, why not Pyrodex P? Have you tried it and found it not to your liking or performance? I've been shooting it for the last 26 years in MY ROA without problems.

tac

Tac, I found the performance not good at all in my FWB and also the gun had to be cleaned sooner, after shooting, than it did with black. I left a TC barrel about 3 hours once after shooting Pyro and it had a definate rust color in the bore which did wash out but it made me a bit uneasy about leaving the cleaning any length of time except immediate, not always possible with me.

Very happy with 777 in my ROA. Currently using 21 grains and it seems to shoot OK. Certainly much easier to clean.
    Steve

Steve, what does your load equate to with black powder, say Swiss No.2 ?

Steve, what does your load equate to with black powder, say Swiss No.2 ?
    No idea I'm afraid but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will be along to tell us!
    S

777 is about 25% more powerful than black powder. A friend of mine uses 777 in his La Page and has left it uncleaned for a week with no rust problems - damn silly in my opinion.
    I think all our club members have gone over to 777. The storage and messing around with licences has put everyone off.
    I still have some Pyrodex left from when I couldn't get hold of 777, Pyrodex is OK, but make sure you clean very soon after use.

Pyrodex is much cheaper than 777, same power as black powder i.e same volume of powder can be used as bp.

Iv tried 777 and pyrodex in my Rugers and my Rogers and to be honest, yes it works but there isnt anyone ay our club with a b/p licence that uses it. Ok you dont need a licence, but the licence is free. You dont need a storage box but made mine 10 years ago and still using it. Cleaning, I tend to clean my pistols two or three days after shooting (yes, im a lazy sod) and iv never had a problem in ten years and never found it any easier/better/cleaner/cheaper with substitutes. I have no problem with substitutes but shoot b/p out of choice. If i was a new shooter then i would probably think substitutes where brilliant. At the end of the day they work but try the real black stuff before making up your mind. Just my opinion, Tim

Use black that's what they are made for , BP is £15 for 500 grams and substitutes are knocking on £40 for only a pound ,As stated the licence is free make your own storage box and you are good to go , No hang fires or delayed ignition problems.

I hear what your saying but you gotta admit it's filthy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by acmsarh View Post
    Use black that's what they are made for , BP is £15 for 500 grams and substitutes are knocking on £40 for only a pound ,As stated the licence is free make your own storage box and you are good to go , No hang fires or delayed ignition problems.
    That's fine and dandy so long as the storage box you make complies with the requisite H&S regulations. Plans, I'm told, are available online.

tac

I hear what your saying but you gotta admit it's filthy stuff.
    That, Sir, is at least half the fun of shooting BP.

tac