Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 777 users opinions please

Yep, I know what you mean, been shooting the stuff for years, just tired of all the mess etc. Just fancy a cleaner alternative so long as accuracy and reliability is not compromised. Going to give 777 a try.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

The component's of 777 are charcoal , potassium nitrate , potassium perchlorate and graphite , the change from bp is that the sulfur is replaced by the perchlorate and that is to speed the burn process up now the sulfur has gone but by replacing the sulfur the mix is not classed as an explosive but a propellant so no licence is now required.
    The perchlorate is very good at attracting water ( hydroscopic ) so keep the containers closed as much as possible.

i chose to use 777 found it easy to use still goes bang in a cloud of smoke and it seems pretty acurate to me.
    As far as i can see its what ever your prepared to pay in £s to shoot.

I like the ease of cleaning which is very easy in conjunction with wonder lube

I also buy wads rather than a cheap filler like semolina

but then the bp pistols are pure fun!

All the best and each to his own.

The only use I have found is to pore it into a pile and insert lighted match
    Jeannie
    Wouldn’t put the stuff anywhere near my Pistols, rifles or shotguns
    Not even fit for my cannon
    Richard
    reloading is not cheaper You just shoot more

Why ?
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Hi Vbull
    I use flintlock pistols, Musket and a percussion rifle. I have tried Pyrodex, 777 and BP and come down in favour of BP for several reasons.

1, for a flintlock you need BP in the pan to get the flash to ignite the main charge in the barrel

2, tried BP in pan and Pyrodex as main charge, there was a definite delay in the ignition of the main charge. The filth and caking was worse than that with BP and is corrosive from the instant of ignition and takes as much if not more cleaning than BP to neutralise and remove.

3, tried 777 as main charge again a delay but not as pronounced as Pyrodex, cleaning was a lot easier, as they said cold water cleaned it out, but the heat generated around the breach after one shot was equivalent to say four or five rapid shots so I was concerned at the thermal energy being put into the barrel.

4. BP works fine yes it’s a bit messy but that’s mostly the ball lube to keep the crud soft so baby wipes and a rag on the range then a cleanout at home.

Rifle would use 777 but am happy with BP

Revolvers

Converted a mate at the range to BP from Pyrodex and his comment was that he got a smoother shot, also gun was designed for BP rifling etc.

Had to assist another guy the other day who had been having caps firing but no ignition of Pyrodex, so removed nipple and introduced a bit of FFFG and bang off it went, as this was one of several caps firing no ignition gave him a small amount of FFFG to prime his chambers before Pyrodex main charge and each one worked.

So one of the questions I have is: how long does Pyrodex or 777 remain viable in its tub does its chemical constituents break down with age? I know black powder can remain viable for many years.

So all in all BP for me, possibly 777 in a cap gun, but never Pyrodex.

Cheers
    Flashinthepan

777 contains potassium perchlorate which is very hygroscopic and attracts moisture unless in a very carefully sealed container.