Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tony Williams' Airgun Collection

The Tony Williams' Airgun Collection

John Atkins has just informed me that he has now sent the late airgun researcher Tony William's airguns off for auction. 70 airguns and rifles will appear at Wallis & Wallis (probably split over the next two usual sales). Meanwhile, his friend Tony's BSA Military Pattern and, possibly, a Greener and a Britannia a/rifle will very likely appear in the Connoisseur Collectors' Sale, also at Wallis & Wallis. Tony purchased the BSA, serial number 226, from the previous owner - who said it saw service with the Home Guard in WW2! Skilled gunsmith - Bill Roper (ex Charles Hellis) refinished it and made a marvellous job. Like all early Military Models, it's a .177" calibre air rifle.

Holt's have just taken the remaining 68 air rifles and airguns for their next sale and sealed bid auction. Among them is a nice Webley & Scott Service Mk. II serial no. S9559 in .177" calibre - and also a good Mars 115 among the mainly German items from Tell, Haenel and Diana and also an E.G. Victoria serial number 715. Also half the Gem-type airguns, including some rarities acquired as study pieces for Tony's extensive 'Gem' and 'Gem'-style airgun research. Some of these were featured in Air Gunner February, 2012 pages 80-81 and they were divided between the two auction houses. Tony's library of 124 gun books has been split equally between Wallis & Wallis and Holts for intended sale by auction.

John added that in In years to come, he will probably kick himself for not buying more of Tony's guns from the William's family - as there are some scarce items... But, much like myself, he has little room for any more airguns - so had to be sensible for once!
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 15-04-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Some very collectable items will be on offer.

There wouldn’t be a proper three barrelled Service in his collection , would there ??

Sam

Thanks for the heads up. Time to tot up my loose change jars, methinks.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    There wouldn’t be a proper three barrelled Service in his collection , would there ??

Sam
    Not to the best of my knowledge, sorry, but if I hear different, I'll let you know.
    Keep an eye out for the Wallis & Wallis 'Connoseur' sale listings, as that's where the best items will probably go.

I received the following update today from John Atkins, posted with his permission:

I've now received, in today's post, a catalogue copy of both the Wallis & Wallis Connoisseurs' Sale and the regular sale both to be staged on Wed. 2nd May. Pleased to see (on first glance) the start of the Williams' Collection appears very well described and photographed - considering how little time Gerald had to organise all this. The BSA Mil. Mod.; Cox Britannia; Oscar Will Bugelspanner and W. W. Greener a/rifles all appearing proudly in the Conn. sale and all 4 photographed in colour taking up an entire page of the cat. Later, when time allows, I will go through methodically with the master list, so in my mind I'll then know exactly what will be carried over to the June W & W sale (advertised in this catalogue - so readers know more are yet to come). But all seems good at first glance.

Few photos appear in the regular sale cat. but there are two of the air rifles - a Haenel/Schmeisser Mod 33 Mil. and a Lane Bros. ball trigger 'Gem' type. 24 of the Wallis and Wallis allocation of the collection appear listed over 23 lots (two 'Gem' types in one lot only so not as 'bundled' as I'd thought might happen - which is good.

Some of the 'Gem'- types may not sell immediately as there are so many of them over at least 2 sales and probably 2 Holts ones as well - but they will in later sales, I'm sure. I hope for the best with the auctions and that the people are there to buy items. In retrospect, I do feel I have done the correct thing by splitting them up to two auc. houses. If the entire collection had all gone to Holts - they would have had to be split up and then they'd have probably dragged on in different sales for months!

You can see more pics of the BSA Military Pattern that's being auctioned <HERE>.

The four rifles mentioned by Mr Atkins plus quite a few others are now up for viewing on the Wallis and Wallis web site. Along with a nice selection of pre-WW2 rifles there are also a couple of interesting prototype Park air rifles.
    Last edited by Garvin; 21-04-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

The Gems sound interesting, especially lot 1295...

The 2 Park rifles are also very interesting, both being described as prototypes in .22 (S/No 692) and .25 (S/no 702)...

I used to own S/No 711, in .177, bought it new but it took months to arrive as they weren't available in .177 when I ordered it. I had cause to return it for repair and it came back with a letter from Park/Gafac stating that it was one of the first in that cal...which ties in with the time that they seemed to be experimenting with different calibres according to the serial numbers of these prototypes...wish I still had it!
    blah blah

The Military Pattern looks very nice and with the Home Guard aspect, has an interesting history with lots of opportunities for additional research. These were of course the only long cylindered .177s that BSA made before WW1, so very desirable.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    The Military Pattern looks very nice and with the Home Guard aspect, has an interesting history with lots of opportunities for additional research. These were of course the only long cylindered .177s that BSA made before WW1, so very desirable.

John
    There were a few long-cylindered Standard No.1s made before WW1, John, although technically I suppose they were made during the War.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    There were a few long-cylindered Standard No.1s made before WW1, John, although technically I suppose they were made during the War.
    Hi Danny,
    Do you have any details of these as I don't know of any, other than the MPs?

John

Hi Danny,

John
    Hi John

I wasn't aware of them myself until I bought one recently! I'll post up some pics on the VBF shortly. It's basically the no.1 version of <this one>.

Vintage Airguns Gallery

Hi Danny,

John
    John I feel silly now for having doubted your expertise... I've just measured the No.1 Standard and found it to be 43.5in long, so not long-cylindered. I was sure it was too!

(Apologies for the thread hijack, David.)
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

John I feel silly now for having doubted your expertise... I've just measured the No.1 Standard and found it to be 43.5in long, so not long-cylindered. I was sure it was too!

Wotta mistaker to maker

No problem Danny,
    You have saved me adding one to the wants list in vain, thereby saving me money!

I too apologise for going slightly off topic David and again point out the desirability of this long cylindered .177

John