Thread: 'Butchering' a HW97 Stock

'Butchering' a HW97 Stock

Hi All

I am thinking of modifying a Standard HW97 Stock just to fit me better - Deeper fore end, higher cheekpiece and more upright pistol grip. I would love to make my own but I don't have a router for inletting the action

I was thinking of fixing a piece of hardwood to the bottom of the fore end, which will make it deeper. Obviously I would make it to the shape I want, then just fix it to the stock. The problem is ; How could/would I fix it?

For the slight gap/join there will be, I was thinking of simply filling it with car body filler, and then painting the whole stock (to cover all the rubbish work ).

Also, I was thinking of using car body filler around the cheekpiece area slightly (just to raise it a fraction), and also around the pistol grip to add finger grooves and shape it slightly. The question is, will this work?

Thanks and ATB

James

Yes it will work and if done properly you won't be able to tell that it's not all wood, only downside, if it is a problem to you, is that it will make the stock VERY heavy. Too much filler at one end of the stock will really effect the guns balance. Which can be a good thing if you want to change a guns natural point of balance to suit yourself.
    I made this one to fit my 97K out of an old 77 stock.

"There is only one god and his name is death... and what do we say to him? Not today"

Quote Originally Posted by paul james View Post
    Yes it will work and if done properly you won't be able to tell that it's not all wood, only downside, if it is a problem to you, is that it will make the stock VERY heavy. Too much filler at one end of the stock will really effect the guns balance. Which can be a good thing if you want to change a guns natural point of balance to suit yourself.
    I made this one to fit my 97K out of an old 77 stock.

Thanks Paul

Your stock is exactly like what I was thinking of doing (except for the blue paint)

May I ask what wood would be suitable for going underneath the front? And how should I fix it?

Thanks and ATB

James

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbob 2705 View Post
    Thanks Paul

Your stock is exactly like what I was thinking of doing (except for the blue paint)

May I ask what wood would be suitable for going underneath the front? And how should I fix it?

Thanks and ATB

James
    Hi James

Your stock will be Beech so I reckon that would be best to use

Edbear 2 on here did this with a TX200, must say, it's the most beautiful TX stock i've seen

Have a look HERE at how he transformed it

Good luck with the job

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Thanks Paul

Thanks and ATB

James
    I just found a scrap piece of hardwood and literally screwed it to the stock, the cheekpiece was raised up on two pieces of threaded rod and then filler added to fill the gap and the pistol grip was done by putting plenty of filler around the grip and then with a rubber glove on my hand i just held the gun on aim for five minutes while the filler hardened, be careful though as it does get hot due to the chemical reaction as it hardens.
    "There is only one god and his name is death... and what do we say to him? Not today"

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi James

Your stock will be Beech so I reckon that would be best to use

Edbear 2 on here did this with a TX200, must say, it's the most beautiful TX stock i've seen

Have a look HERE at how he transformed it

Good luck with the job

John
    Thanks John for that!

I agree, that is a fantastic job he did, and it matches really well

Don't think mine will look quite that good

Quote Originally Posted by paul james View Post
    I just found a scrap piece of hardwood and literally screwed it to the stock, the cheekpiece was raised up on two pieces of threaded rod and then filler added to fill the gap and the pistol grip was done by putting plenty of filler around the grip and then with a rubber glove on my hand i just held the gun on aim for five minutes while the filler hardened, be careful though as it does get hot due to the chemical reaction as it hardens.
    Thanks again Paul

I am thinking that I may try and glue the hardwood instead of screwing it, but I just have to find a suitable, strong adhesive.......

I was thinking of putting the body filler ontop of the cheekpiece, as I don't have to raise it too much, but I may do the same as you

That is exactly what I was hoping to do around the pistol grip area, but thanks for the advice on the temperature! Would normal kitchen marigold gloves offer enough protection would you say?

Thanks and ATB

James

That is exactly what I was hoping to do around the pistol grip area, but thanks for the advice on the temperature! Would normal kitchen marigold gloves offer enough protection would you say?

Thanks and ATB

James
    They might be a bit too thick and crease up too much... not giving as good a copy of the hand onto the filler, i used some thin rubber gloves used in the motor trade to keep oil and other chemicals off the skin, you will feel the filler getting warm as it hardens, gently release your grip and it should not burn the skin or alter the shape of the filler as it will have already started to set. Then you can sand the filler when it has cooled and add any more to fill in the imperfections left by the gloves.