Thread: LSR advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks defblade,

I'll give it a try next trip to the range. I've been thinking of doing this for a while, it's so frustrating to feel like everything is going well and to produce good groups in the wrong place! At least this way I can get my scores up while I continue to work on my technique.

Cheers,

Mark.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Or, you are more probably canting the rifle when shooting standing?
    With any match shooting if we bench test its just a guide to get it in the ballpark, then sight in finally when shooting in the match position be it standing kneeling and prone, and all three will be different!
    Recoil is different standing, butt position is different, if you have glasses and an astigmatism you'll have a different head line, all will effect shot fall, although a good trigger technique is essential to good positional shooting. Don't be afraid to adjust your sights, thats why they put adjusters on them.
    And, modern standing trigger technique is different to prone technique which is near enough what Adie described. Standing, if you have a two stage take the first stage, and hold on it, refine the aim and acelerate a fast short movement through the second stage, its a little like a controlled stab, the importance is must be fast, only the first joints move, not the whole hand or the gun, and its a very small movement. It only needs hours of practice! Its easier with a 20 gm match trigger but you can also do it with a 500 gm trigger as on the LSR. The problem with a prone take with standing is you move too much during a slow take.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Last edited by RobinC; 18-04-2012 at 01:04 PM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Shots right can be caused by:
    - wrong grip(hold); overgripping etc
    - zero position is off
    - for pistol: wrist not stable
    - trigger
    I'd start with checking yr grip and work yr way down.
    My guess is yr zero is off.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    And, modern standing trigger technique is different to prone technique which is near enough what Adie described. Standing, if you have a two stage take the first stage, and hold on it, refine the aim and acelerate a fast short movement through the second stage, its a little like a controlled stab, the importance is must be fast, only the first joints move, not the whole hand or the gun, and its a very small movement. It only needs hours of practice! Its easier with a 20 gm match trigger but you can also do it with a 500 gm trigger as on the LSR. The problem with a prone take with standing is you move too much during a slow take.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Robin,

Thanks for the advice, the modern technique you describe is how I naturally shoot, but have been fighting against doing this because the prone technique is what I was led to believe I needed to perfect.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark,
    I have also shot LSR in .22 and gallery rifle for many years and I suggest that unless you are going to enter bencrest comps then just zero the sights for standing and be done with it.
    As already mentioned the different techniques will change the point of impact so adjust sights and practice for the discipline that you are mainly shooting.
    good luck

Mark are you shooting this with air or rimfire?
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Shooting is about doing it exactly the same shot to shot. If you are producing one hole groups then your sights are off.
    Once you have a tight group, wind it into the middle with the sights. POI will vary between bench rest and Off-hand, don't change anything in your technique, just move your sights. That's why they're adjustable.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmers View Post
    Shooting is about doing it exactly the same shot to shot. If you are producing one hole groups then your sights are off.
    Once you have a tight group, wind it into the middle with the sights. POI will vary between bench rest and Off-hand, don't change anything in your technique, just move your sights. That's why they're adjustable.
    Rich,

I did adjust my scope when I last shot, and I was much happier with the results.

Cheers,

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Mark are you shooting this with air or rimfire?
    Rich,

Rimfire.

Interestingly I shot a PCP at club the other night, first time I'd used one for a while, and shot a 99!

Cheers,

Mark.