Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LSR advice

LSR advice

Guys,

I've been shooting LSR for a few years now and I'm pleased with the progress I've made so far. I can shoot some fairly tight one hole groups but the problem is they tend to be just to the right of the bull, with the outer most shots just being in the bull. When I shoot the rifle from the rested position it's perfectly zeroed, so I assume I'm snatching the trigger?

The question is, should I zero my scope based on the groups I can print when shooting off hand?

I'm kind of thinking that I should leave the scope as it is and work on my trigger technique, but to be honest I'm not quite sure how to go about improving this.

I'd be grateful for any advice or opinions.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi

How do you use the trigger?

You should have the pad of your finger on the blade, gently squeeze (NOT pull) the trigger until the first stage pressure has been taken up (assuming a two stage trigger). At this point, HOLD THE PRESSURE - practice this until you can hold it for as long as possible. Then, GENTLY increase the pressure on your finger - it should be a surprise exactly when the gun fires! When it has fired, KEEP THE PRESSURE ON until the trigger has moved as far back as it can go, then release. If you do not follow through like this, your hand will be anticipating your movement, hence influencing the shot.

Now repeat this 10,000 times until muscle memory takes over!!

Hope that helps

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

Bye the way, this is how to do it, not how I do it.

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by adiepie View Post
    Hi

How do you use the trigger?

You should have the pad of your finger on the blade, gently squeeze (NOT pull) the trigger until the first stage pressure has been taken up (assuming a two stage trigger). At this point, HOLD THE PRESSURE - practice this until you can hold it for as long as possible. Then, GENTLY increase the pressure on your finger - it should be a surprise exactly when the gun fires! When it has fired, KEEP THE PRESSURE ON until the trigger has moved as far back as it can go, then release. If you do not follow through like this, your hand will be anticipating your movement, hence influencing the shot.

Now repeat this 10,000 times until muscle memory takes over!!

Hope that helps

Adrian
    Adrian,

Thanks for the advice, I'll get back to you in another 5 years or so to let you know how I'm getting on!

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    The gun will react differently to firing when held vs bench rested, for various reasons (ok, the shooter not doing it right is the main one...)

If you're producing one-hole groups already, then I say get busy with the sight adjusters and put that hole on the bull.

That's not to say you might not be able to improve your trigger technique (and, like adiepie, I'm not claiming any great ability myself here!!), but as you do, and that hole moves off bull to the left, you can always move the sights back a little.

IMO, getting good grouping when practising is more important than exactly where the group is - a good group can always be moved over the bull by adjusting the sights to suit.

It's good to know how to adjust the sights as different lighting conditions etc may affect your sight picture slightly anyway, so that what you see in a competition (especially if it's an away shoot) may not be the same as when you last practised.
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

Thanks defblade,

I'll give it a try next trip to the range. I've been thinking of doing this for a while, it's so frustrating to feel like everything is going well and to produce good groups in the wrong place! At least this way I can get my scores up while I continue to work on my technique.

Cheers,

Mark.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Or, you are more probably canting the rifle when shooting standing?
    With any match shooting if we bench test its just a guide to get it in the ballpark, then sight in finally when shooting in the match position be it standing kneeling and prone, and all three will be different!
    Recoil is different standing, butt position is different, if you have glasses and an astigmatism you'll have a different head line, all will effect shot fall, although a good trigger technique is essential to good positional shooting. Don't be afraid to adjust your sights, thats why they put adjusters on them.
    And, modern standing trigger technique is different to prone technique which is near enough what Adie described. Standing, if you have a two stage take the first stage, and hold on it, refine the aim and acelerate a fast short movement through the second stage, its a little like a controlled stab, the importance is must be fast, only the first joints move, not the whole hand or the gun, and its a very small movement. It only needs hours of practice! Its easier with a 20 gm match trigger but you can also do it with a 500 gm trigger as on the LSR. The problem with a prone take with standing is you move too much during a slow take.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Last edited by RobinC; 18-04-2012 at 01:04 PM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Shots right can be caused by:
    - wrong grip(hold); overgripping etc
    - zero position is off
    - for pistol: wrist not stable
    - trigger
    I'd start with checking yr grip and work yr way down.
    My guess is yr zero is off.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    And, modern standing trigger technique is different to prone technique which is near enough what Adie described. Standing, if you have a two stage take the first stage, and hold on it, refine the aim and acelerate a fast short movement through the second stage, its a little like a controlled stab, the importance is must be fast, only the first joints move, not the whole hand or the gun, and its a very small movement. It only needs hours of practice! Its easier with a 20 gm match trigger but you can also do it with a 500 gm trigger as on the LSR. The problem with a prone take with standing is you move too much during a slow take.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Robin,

Thanks for the advice, the modern technique you describe is how I naturally shoot, but have been fighting against doing this because the prone technique is what I was led to believe I needed to perfect.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark,
    I have also shot LSR in .22 and gallery rifle for many years and I suggest that unless you are going to enter bencrest comps then just zero the sights for standing and be done with it.
    As already mentioned the different techniques will change the point of impact so adjust sights and practice for the discipline that you are mainly shooting.
    good luck

Mark are you shooting this with air or rimfire?
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Shooting is about doing it exactly the same shot to shot. If you are producing one hole groups then your sights are off.
    Once you have a tight group, wind it into the middle with the sights. POI will vary between bench rest and Off-hand, don't change anything in your technique, just move your sights. That's why they're adjustable.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Mark are you shooting this with air or rimfire?
    Rich,

Rimfire.

Interestingly I shot a PCP at club the other night, first time I'd used one for a while, and shot a 99!

Cheers,

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmers View Post
    Shooting is about doing it exactly the same shot to shot. If you are producing one hole groups then your sights are off.
    Once you have a tight group, wind it into the middle with the sights. POI will vary between bench rest and Off-hand, don't change anything in your technique, just move your sights. That's why they're adjustable.
    Rich,

I did adjust my scope when I last shot, and I was much happier with the results.

Cheers,

Mark.

LSR advice.

I notice that most of the replies involve adjusting the scope poi.
    The very first thing to look at is your stance!!!From a target shooters point of view it seems like you need to position yourself with your shoulder pointing towards the target which will then ,along with other adjustments to your body,release some of the muscle tension that I think is your root cause of shooting to the right.If you are too square on to the target your torso is then controling your aim as you have to twist it to get on target.LSR is not like clay shooting!
    Copy the 10 mtr. boys.Read any of the Target shooting manuals and copy their techniques and you should improve your scores significantly.