Thread: And this actually works!!!!

And this actually works!!!!

Hi,

Ever seen a twisted barrel before??

http://www.beemans.net/images/FWB2twist2.jpg

Amazing thing is, this actually shoots straight. See more here....

http://www.beemans.net/collection.htm
    Regards,

Doug

familytales Guest
    According to the Blue Book this is called a 'helical' barrel, there were three made, and it adds US$1000 to the value.....

Does it shoot pellets or BB's? Cant see a pellet getting round that without jamming. Unless it's a Bob Marley 4.52.

Mohawk Guest

Exclamation

Whilst that looks crazy, the soft material our pellets are made of & the relatively low velocity should present no problems in this barrel.

In WW2 the Germans modified MP44's with a 30 degree left curved barrel & fitted them with a reflector site system, so Snipers could shoot round corners (left ones only mind) without exposing themselves. Why German snipers had a habit of dropping there kecks whilst shooting I'll never know, but apparently this worked fine. After a few hundred shots the right side of the barrel would wear enough to mess up the accuracy, so they'd have to change the barrel.

fanjules Guest
    Wow! That twisted barrel is amazing! I can't help but feel it still has some effect on the pellet though - maybe more wear on one side, but it's probably not noticeable on an open sighted pistol. I guess if this was a common thing, the problem could be engineered out, but it looks like the bend was hand made so it's all a bit rustic, etc. Still, an amazing item in anyone's collection and sure to be a talking point!

As long as the last few centimetres of barrel is straight then it should be accurate, it should not matter how many bends or coils the pellet travels round (assuming it can get round them) to get to the last straight section.

Just like my ex missus so BEWARE!

jim
    Last edited by boltaction; 19-03-2005 at 01:31 AM.
    ex blue job

fanjules Guest
    But in the example of the MP44 where the barrel would wear on the bend, it stands to reason that the pellet wears more as it's "driven into" the corner. I have no idea if the wear would be enough to upset accuracy however, though I guess it would be fairly consistent. The barrel itself could become worn too over time, but I don't want to get hung up on the technicalities of what is clearly a show piece rather than a performance item!

Quote Originally Posted by fanjules
    But in the example of the MP44 where the barrel would wear on the bend, it stands to reason that the pellet wears more as it's "driven into" the corner.
    Well, the sintered iron bullet with the mild steel jacket driven at about 50k psi probably didn't help....

Think you'd get into the multi tens of thousands of shots 'fore you'd notice any wear difference in a curly-wurly air pistol...

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by fanjules
    But in the example of the MP44 where the barrel would wear on the bend, it stands to reason that the pellet wears more as it's "driven into" the corner. I have no idea if the wear would be enough to upset accuracy however, though I guess it would be fairly consistent. The barrel itself could become worn too over time, but I don't want to get hung up on the technicalities of what is clearly a show piece rather than a performance item!

Hi

I don't see wear being a problem at all, because the pellet is turning as it leave the breech, no one side, or edge will be exposed to extra wear at all, for any appreciable length of turn. Would be a different matter with a smooth bore.

Doug

Doug
    Regards,

Doug

Suppose it's like water in a hose pipe. Doesn't matter what sort of contortions the hose is in, the water always comes out staight.

Steve
    There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.