Thread: Polymer Tips Being Damaged In Press

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)

Polymer Tips Being Damaged In Press

As per the thread title - my RCBS seating die is damaging the polymer tips on my .204 bullets. I've checked the seating pocket, and it doesn't fit properly - the die's cone is wider than the bullet, so all the loading pressure is going directly into the plastic. I guess I'm going to have to get creative with the Myford...
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

I just had a bright idea - I also have a brand-new set of Lee dies, so I checked the seating cone in there too. Guess what - it doesn't fit properly either...

Hi i had the same problem with my 6.5 berger vld`s with lee dies (it bottomed out on the tip and left a indented ring on the bullet). I bought a second hand set of dies in .243 and and used the seating cone out of it, after reducing the length to the same as the 6.5 one, works a treat now
    Beware of the flowers cos i`m sure they`re gonna get you, yeah! (john otway and wild willy barret - deep and meaningless)

I use a Lee die on 50 x 39gr V max .204 yesterday evening. I noticed it pushed them in from the tip but done the job without damaged to the tips. I did think about drilling into the die seat so it sat on the copper. As it done the job ok I didn't but would be interested to know what you do.
    Wake up, there's no father christmas, no tooth fairy and no god. Get over it

Quote Originally Posted by tisme View Post
    I did think about drilling into the die seat so it sat on the copper. As it done the job ok I didn't but would be interested to know what you do.
    I did what you were thinking of doing - that is, I drilled out the Lee seat so that it meets the copper instead of the plastic. When I pulled the RCBS die apart, I found it contained loads of little pieces of red polymer, which isn't a good thing at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    I did what you were thinking of doing - that is, I drilled out the Lee seat so that it meets the copper instead of the plastic. When I pulled the RCBS die apart, I found it contained loads of little pieces of red polymer, which isn't a good thing at all...
    paddy is it the 32gr that are the problem, first the 204 needs a smaller angle chamfer in the neck, second measure your necks before and after seating the bullet, you might need to neck size them for a better fit and less resistance.

dont buy another seating die i have a brand new unused redding one i can send you.......

tony
    Last edited by tony h; 03-05-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new.

Yes, Tony - it is the 32gr bullets that I've been having the problem with. I also have some 39gr and 40gr bullets to try at a later date, but I thought it would be better to stick with one weight and get that right before moving on to others.

I will check the neck sizes now that you've raised the issue - that is very helpful!

As for the Redding die - yes please - that is most kind of you! Let me know what you'd like for it, and I'll sort it out.

i can not think of anything right now paddy, just send it back if its no good.
    You need a vld case mouth chamfer, that will help seat the 32s flat base easier, the 39s are boat tail so there not much trouble.
    i use wilson hand die and arbor press so i can feel the tension when seating....

tony
    anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by tony h View Post
    i can not think of anything right now paddy, just send it back if its no good.
    You need a vld case mouth chamfer, that will help seat the 32s flat base easier, the 39s are boat tail so there not much trouble.
    i use wilson hand die and arbor press so i can feel the tension when seating....

tony
    I've given the cases a mouth chamfer with the RCBS/Wilson tool - is this much the same as the vld item?

I'm using a Lyman All-American turret press to decapp and seat - while I agree that a hand press would give you a lot more feel, they do seem to go in nicely enough!

i bought my 204 of richness on here
    he has a SHED load of data and trial and error experience with it, am sure he would be happy to send you his data
    Lux Ferre

Quote Originally Posted by lucozade View Post
    i bought my 204 of richness on here
    he has a SHED load of data and trial and error experience with it, am sure he would be happy to send you his data
    The Good Man has already done so!

I've only just started loading a .204 and any load data would be most gratefully received if you could PM me it.

ATB
    Wake up, there's no father christmas, no tooth fairy and no god. Get over it

I've an rcbs die set for my .223 the very first bullet I seated had a big gouge out of the side of the tip. This was because the seating tip (screwed threaded bar at the top) was seated too low. I had to raise this so it didn't pjoect below the aperture at the top inside the die, and the lower the die body.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but without the corrective measure a bullet marginally off centre, the tip will get trapped by the seating piece and the inside of the die body. Unscrew the top piece completely and have a look down the die body, this should help in understanding the problem, you'll be able to removed the trapped bit of plastic tip also. I'd read articles / threads about dremelling / polishing the part the seats the bullet, but I've found if correctly seated in the die and the due body lowered there is no need.

It would be good if it was this as its simple to sort. As posted, I bought mine new and thought they were someone's returns / second hand ones when I encountered this, thinking I'd have to return them.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyB View Post
    I've an rcbs die set for my .223 the very first bullet I seated had a big gouge out of the side of the tip. This was because the seating tip (screwed threaded bar at the top) was seated too low. I had to raise this so it didn't pjoect below the aperture at the top inside the die, and the lower the die body.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but without the corrective measure a bullet marginally off centre, the tip will get trapped by the seating piece and the inside of the die body. Unscrew the top piece completely and have a look down the die body, this should help in understanding the problem, you'll be able to removed the trapped bit of plastic tip also. I'd read articles / threads about dremelling / polishing the part the seats the bullet, but I've found if correctly seated in the die and the due body lowered there is no need.

It would be good if it was this as its simple to sort. As posted, I bought mine new and thought they were someone's returns / second hand ones when I encountered this, thinking I'd have to return them.
    Sadly, it's not this. The seating part of the RCBS die is a cone with a wider angle than the top of the bullet. Consequently, all the seating pressure goes directly into the tip which results in significant damage.

The Lee version is slightly better, but it still damages the tip if left unmodified. I've now machined mine out so that it seats on the copper in order to load up enough ammo to keep using the rifle until Tony's Redding die arrives.